• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help Finding Bar Feed Lathe Please

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    So I need help finding a good CNC bar feed lathe that's not to expensive, preferably used but in excellent working order, that'll handle up to 1/2" at least, but I'd prefer a little larger if possible. It needs to be accurate. I need it for making solid copper and brass bullets. I'd prefer one that works automatically and has a multiple tool head. I think most do.

I'll be dumping my savings on this in order to try and start a business making and selling precision solid bullets. Later I'd like to try to add tungsten cores to increase BC and penetration, and if it works out, I'd like to get a license to mfg. a domestic Mk211 bullet. But I gotta start somewhere. I have a lot of ideas, but I think this is one I can follow through on.

I'm seeing several ones popping up from between $2000 and up. I have less than ten saved up, but it looks like I can get one for less than that if savvy. I don't really know what I'm looking at though, I'm not savvy. I have familiarity years ago with some CNC converted bar lathes that were used to make shells in WW2 and are now used to make high end flow connectors for use in nuclear facilities among others. So I know some of the really old stuff is actually really good stuff. I still don't know what I'm looking at though as a purchaser.

I find 'em on auction from time to time, I'm setup on govt. auction sites, but seldom do I find what I need here at Ft. Lewis. It's usually way too far for me to test. And some can't be, has to be bought untested. I'd rather avoid that if possible.

So any help from you master machinists would be gratefully appreciated. Whoever helps me secure the proper lathe, I'll cut that person a nice free box of bullets of his choice and he'll always get a discount.