• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help: Firing Pin Releaseing When Bolt Closes

Flatland308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
West Texas
Here is the setup:

Remington 700 SPS action
Timney trigger
Magpul Hunter Stock and Magpul bottom metal

My buddy picked this stock up and when the he put this setup together and closes the bolt the firing pin releases. This can be done repeatedly and it has to be something with the new stock/bottom metal combo since this was not an issue in the last stock. Anyone have any ideas of how to correct this problem? Thanks

Did the trigger get adjusted at all or is the trigger shoe getting caught on the stock or bottom metal, with the firing pin going forward when closing the bolt something is affecting the trigger since the sear is what releases the firing pin.

Montrose

I bet that the trigger is touching the stock somewhere, I know Ive heard of timneys necessitating relieving the hunter stock/bottom metal before. Look for any signs of contact with the trigger.

Just to make sure...

Take the action out of the stock.
Cycle the bolt.
If the firing pin still drops, the trigger developed an issue. Seek professional fix, don't fuck around.

If the trigger operates normally outside the new stock, you know you have an interference issue between the trigger/ new stock. Could be an easy DYI fix with a Dremel to relieve some stock material?

Another possibility is that the action itself is so out true, that when torqued into the stock, it causes the action to bend.
Try what has been previously stated, if that does not remedy the situation, try bedding the action in the stock.

With the action out of the stock the bolt cycles without issue and the firing pin is not tripped. I will try an locate any areas where the trigger is contacting the bottom metal/stock and relieve those areas. Thanks for the responses