• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help? First Gun.

NaturesKin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Ok so heres the deal. I'm looking to buy my first high powered rifle. I completely understand how outrageous this may sound, but I'm looking for a good gun that has an effective range at 1000yrds. And affordable too. I've done quite a bit of research, and if I had the money I would buy a .338 Lapua magnum
smirk.gif
but I dont. I do like what I've heard about the .308 caliber, and a .270. But I dont know what caliber is best for that type of range.

So heres the big Q,

Does anyone know of a gun that can effectively shoot 1000yrds at a price no more than $1000.00?????

Re: Help? First Gun.

Gun maybe, with Optics no way. How much 1000 yard shooting have you done? it's a whole different world that requires skills far beyond a steady hold and good trigger control.
I guess I'd start with one of the Savage Target models in 308 with a decent 10X Mil-Dot scope like a Bushnell 3200 or a Super Sniper.

That will get you to 600. Once you have mastered mirage, wind and all the other variables at that range, then you can try to move up to 1000. You will need a bigger gun (like a 300 winmag or more) far better optics, a world class spotting scope and, hopefully a good coach and spotter. probably a $5-7000 investment to be competitive.

100 yards is Go Karts, 600 is NASCAR and 1000 is Formula One.

I am always amazed that "back in the day", men used to shoot at 1000 with one of these! Good shooting!

pix2659513453.jpg

400yrd shooting is about as far as I've gone. Since I dont own any guns myself, all of those shots were fired from other peoples guns, such as a 30-06 and an M1garand. M1 garand is one of my favorites. And if I'm not mistaken, that is whats in the picture you had posted Mr.Humble.

Now I understand I'm a newbie at this, but I believe investing in a gun capable of 1000yrds and shooting it at smaller distances to get my experience is a better idea. That way I dont have to waste my money on buying guns for specific ranges the better I get. And I would have a better feel with the same gun all around.

I'm looking for a gun to last me a lifetime, and a gun I'll fall in love with. As well as understanding it like the back of my hand as I progress with the experience I put on it.

I'm thinking about a R700 .308

Or an R700 5-r mil-spec

But the mil-spec is so rare and a bit pricey.

A .308 is a great workhorse round, buy what you can afford but maybe even wait a little bit until you have more money to invest, dont compromise on gear like optics or indeed your rifle by jumping in now and buying inferior equipment.
There is a treasure of information on the Hide here just use the search function and everyone will chip in their 2 cents.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. And I'm always hungry for knowledge upon guns, so feel free to continue with suggestions if any of you'd like to.

I think I found what I'm going to buy. A R700 VTR in .308 for sure. Costs me about 750 without a scope.

I think its a great buy =P

May want to keep an eye out on the for sale section you could land a good used (.308) rifle at a good price. Most will likely come with a good 20 moa base also. Which you will need to get out to any long range distances. Just a thought!

Grab a 700P or other 700 variant with varmint taper barrel (700SPS varmint, 700SPS tactical..etc.)
top it with some decent glass & rings/base

put the rest into ammo & a Long range class

Do not deceive yourself and think that you will be shooting 1K right away. Refine the basics of marksmanship first... then stretch it out.

Purchase until thyself one case of good ammo & by the time that is gone you will be well on your way.

The rifle is your choice, but I would try a Super Sniper 20x if you're on a budget, mine has tons of adjustment and is pretty darn clear for $300. Not to mention it tracks real nice too!

Just an Idea Savage make Heavy Barrelled Single Shot "F Class" rifle in 6.5-284 I would reckon that would be a wicked "Budget" 1000 yard rifle top that with say a "Super Sniper" (we cant get these in Oz) or a Falcon 5-25,you will be a bit over budget I think but gee I reckon theyd be a great "first" 1000 yard Gun.

My friends and I did the whole "Cart before the Horse" thing and bought .375 Cheytacs with little experience just exbal and wind meters we got to 1079 yards on our first go. We stretched it to 1368 weekend gone.........we are wrapped !! by the same token I am having a 6.5x47L built to practice cheaper. I would not suggest getting a big banger first up though.

Just Read Read Read before out laying any money.

Have you factored in the cost of ammo to this? You'll need to be shooting match grade ammo if you're serious. About $1.50 a round, unless you reload -which I highly recommend.

Stick with .308 for now. Remington or Savage with a Super Sniper will do just fine.

Another great investment would be something in 22LR to work on the fundamentals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you factored in the cost of ammo to this? You'll need to be shooting match grade ammo if you're serious. About $1.50 a round, unless you reload -which I highly recommend.

Stick with .308 for now. Remington or Savage with a Super Sniper will do just fine.

Another great investment would be something in 22LR to work on the fundamentals.</div></div>

Ineed I do plan on realoading my own ammo =)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">May want to keep an eye out on the for sale section you could land a good used (.308) rifle at a good price. Most will likely come with a good 20 moa base also. Which you will need to get out to any long range distances. Just a thought! </div></div>

What exactly is 'MOA'? Is a 20 moa base, scope talk? Someone please explain 'Moa' to me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperWannabeee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What exactly is 'MOA'? Is a 20 moa base, scope talk? Someone please explain 'Moa' to me? </div></div>

I think it would be best to spend a lot of time reading info through out this site before you make your decision. What part of AZ are you from? Not a whole lot of 1000 yard ranges here which means you'll be in the desert. If so, you'll need something like a gps, rangefinder, etc. to range distances.

MOA= minute of angle

A 20 MOA base gives you 20 moa. It's like if you zeroed your rifle at 100 yards with a 0 mao base then a 20 moa base you would be about 20" high of your zero. This is not need for short distance rifles but for long distance guns most scopes run out of up elevation before you make it to 1000 yards.

Hope this helps!

Some bases are cheap and still do what they need to do. But some like badger ordince stuff can run you about 120$. Just some thing to think about.

Get a good .22 first, shoot the shit out of it as far as you possibly can, read this site and whatever else while doing this the 22 is a good learner save you tons of money and you can see the that the elimants will play on it at its max ranges 150-2?yds. Go throught 1000s of rounds of 22 then buy a good gun. I have a savage 12 and it is a shooter, if you buy a savage, you NEED to replace the stock and trigger, for they suck.
Good luck, it is a great trip, expensive but great.