• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help for .338 LM

DeputyDawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2010
NY
I have an opportunity to pick up a .338 relatively cheap. I was wondering price per round to reload. I could not shoot at retail prices, so I can only get rifle if I can find a way to feed the bastard. I would need to find equipment to load but I could reload for other rifles. Plus it would make it so I don't throw out brass. Any ideas on a set up to reload this specific round would be helpful.

PS I read the stickys and have not found an answer to primary question. Which is why I asked. If I missed something already posted I apologize. Please excuse ignorance on reloading. Was always easier to buy a box.

Re: Help for .338 LM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an opportunity to pick up a .338 relatively cheap. I was wondering price per round to reload. I could not shoot at retail prices, so I can only get rifle if I can find a way to feed the bastard. I would need to find equipment to load but I could reload for other rifles. Plus it would make it so I don't throw out brass. Any ideas on a set up to reload this specific round would be helpful.

PS I read the stickys and have not found an answer to primary question. Which is why I asked. If I missed something already posted I apologize. Please excuse ignorance on reloading. Was always easier to buy a box. </div></div>

Well, you can get a Lee Classic Cast Iron single stage press for $90, less if you shop around.

Figure on another $400-$500 for dies, tumbler, trimmer, gages, accessories like a lube pad/lube, shell holders, calipers to measure things, etc.

I generally tell people $600-$800 for a good SS setup with a couple/few calibers. This is for very good dies, like Redding, but a basic tumbler and trimmer. No Giraud trimmers, or Ken Light annealing machines.

For certain factory 338LM ammo, this is eight 20 round boxes of ammo, lol.

I use a progressive Dillon 550b press to load my 338LM ammo, but that'll set you back more and has a longer learning curve.

Chris

It sounds like a great excuse to start reloading! I figure I'll be loading 338LM at $1.00-1.20/round. Not bad, especially if you are used to buying factory loaded ammo. Even .308 can get past $30/box pretty easily.

Thats pretty much what I am thinking. I don't really have the need for such a rifle because I don't have the distance available to shoot. 300 yard Max. Just thought it would be cool to own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deputy Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats pretty much what I am thinking. I don't really have the need for such a rifle because I don't have the distance available to shoot. 300 yard Max. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Just thought it would be cool to own</span></span>. </div></div>

That's enough justification to have one! People may say that you don't have the distance to justify that. But, who cares what they say. Bottom line is if you enjoy shooting it, then whether it's a 338LM, or a 50 BMG, or any of the Chey Tac system, that's a good reason to have one. As far as the reloading is concerned, I strongly advise you reload for this beast. Unless you are Uncle Sam, the rifle feeds on $5 bill per trigger pull. I would recommend the Rocker Supreme kit and some decent dies to go with it. If you get some good deal on brass, you can definitely keep the cost down for more time behind the trigger. I am still on my first set of 200 brass (some have over 15 reloads, but I only neck size mine). Have fun.

I went over the cost for 338 loading sometime ago, and was very pleased with my findings. Take new lapua brass, 250 SMK, magnum primers and powder. To start, we are looking at about 2.15 per piece of brass, 50 cents per bullet, 2.5 cents per primer and about 25 cents per powder drop. This comes out to 2.925 per round if you threw away the brass after the first shot. However, you aren't going to do that. You will get at least 10 firings from the brass, being conservative. this brings the cost of the brass down to 21.5 cents. So in the end, a round of 338 will cost roughly $1 per round with 10 firings on the brass. With 20 firings, it drops to about 90 cents. A hell of a lot better than $80 for a box of 20!!!