• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help for picking up first 1000 yard rifle - precision?

Montana22

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2020
USA
I'm hoping you guys could point me to the right place. I'm looking to buy my first precision rifle, 6.5 creedmore. I haven't shot rifles much in the last 15 years, rather handguns. Prior to that I shot a lot of .22 out to 200 yards or so, simply because of cost. Someone recommended the RPR, so i was going to buy one, until I saw the recommendations for building your own and Tikka.

I'm not sure if I should buy a cheaper Tikka T3X UPR or T3X CTR, or jump in with one of the "tactical" models like the RPR or the T3X Tac A1 to get started, or try to build my own. That is, I don't know the comfort levels or completeness of each rifle, or if something like this is a better decision to get into to start:

I dont' mind buying a $2k rifle if it's THE rifle that keeps me going. But if it's better to buy a $1k tikka and put a 1000 rounds through it in order to figure out which $2k+ rifle I want, that's what I'd do. I can build one if that's a better/more cost effective option too. Can precision rifles be hauled around in a case in a pickup on rough ground and used as a coyote gun?

Sorry if this seems like a dummy post. The internet keeps defeating me, too much info leads me into indecision hell. Any help appreciated.

Reactions: Zeroit
Started lurking on sites like this one to get ideas and recommends. Saw good things about Howa. I looked at the video and detailed report on the Howa HCR here on the Hide. Then I started searches on the inter web to get as many reviews I could find. Got down to everyone has a different favourite make, model and caliber. Just have to decide how much you have to spend and what you expect to get out of whatever you buy.

My opinion is that if you're just getting into it: shooting lots > shooting a little. Cheaper rifle + reloading setup + shooting a bunch always beats just having a nice rifle.

Going the budget route, you could get a Howa 1500 and the best chassis you can afford: either an MDT ACC or a KRG Bravo chassis (or just find a Howa Bravo which includes both if you can). For the money, I don't think you can do better than a Howa as the Tikka's are sort of similar except a bit nicer, but you end up paying more for them, and at the end of the day the precision rifle world is still a "700-clone world" so to speak, so if you're going to start upping your budget and really spending towards the rifle, might as well skip right over what kitting out a Tikka costs and just go straight to a 700-clone rifle... That said, If you can find a Tikka T3x Tac A1 for a fair price, get it.

The important thing to remember with any precision rifle is that having a nice light trigger is absolutely a non-negotiable. Nothing does more.

The Howa's and Tikka's have great triggers after only a cheap spring swap, while that's usually an extra ~$300 with a 700-clone. Most of even the more expensive "production" 700-clone rifles out there don't come with the top shelf triggers, so be aware of that. The ARC Nucleus rifle is a great deal you may want to look at as they give you a Trigger Tech Diamond out of the box, as good as it gets, most don't.

I saw a guy last week with a full-on $$$ Manners/Custom/S&B setup that he couldn't hit steel with at 400yrds, don't be that guy lol.

To chassis or not is a personal opinion. I prefer a regular stock fitted to me or one that has a cheek riser built in.

Tikka is a good option, as is Howa, and Bergera. Plenty of good rifles just under 1k or at, but get good glass, don't over do magnification, at closer ranges you will pay for it in FOV if you shoot more than just paper.

Reactions: Montana22
if you're lurking at $2k price range
Zermatt Origin
PVA/Criterion prefit barrel either shouldered or with a barrel nut
tt special
krg bravo

cost effective chassis that feels like a stock, and upgrading it down the road is basically no loss
origin means you can get a 6.5 creed and down the road build a 223/22 creed etc for coyote hunting and only need a new boltface

but...there's nothing wrong with going with a tikka CTR and throwing it in a krg bravo to start. if you can find a tikka CTR that is

no issues throwing it in a good case in the truck

Not to completely confuse you, but one of the easiest rifle platforms to build on is the Savage action. Easy to swap bolt handles and barrels, and decent aftermarket offerings (not Remington 700 clone level). The triggers from the factory are good, and there are a couple upgrade paths. The easy button is the Savage 110 precision as it has the MDT stock from the factory. The more interesting way is to buy an used action and buy a new barrel from Shilen or criterion and drop the thing in the stock of your choice. Howa and Tikka are both good options as well.

This probably won't go over well with a bunch of guys who like to build custom guns, (myself included) but, the new savage Precision rifle has a really good chasis and is a hell of a shooter right out of the box. I really don't think it's possible to get that level of accuracy without spending a ton more money. If this is your first, I'd get one of em, and spend the left over money on the glass. If you really get hooked, you are going to build your own gun and spend way more than that on it. You can then take that $2,500.00 scope and put it on your new rifle... IF you decide you want to do it. That's my advice...

This probably won't go over well with a bunch of guys who like to build custom guns, (myself included) but, the new savage Precision rifle has a really good chasis and is a hell of a shooter right out of the box. I really don't think it's possible to get that level of accuracy without spending a ton more money. If this is your first, I'd get one of em, and spend the left over money on the glass. If you really get hooked, you are going to build your own gun and spend way more than that on it. You can then take that $2,500.00 scope and put it on your new rifle... IF you decide you want to do it. That's my advice...
Just bought one in 270 winchester. Going to rebarrel it to 6.5x55 swede

I'm hoping you guys could point me to the right place. I'm looking to buy my first precision rifle, 6.5 creedmore. I haven't shot rifles much in the last 15 years, rather handguns. Prior to that I shot a lot of .22 out to 200 yards or so, simply because of cost. Someone recommended the RPR, so i was going to buy one, until I saw the recommendations for building your own and Tikka.

I'm not sure if I should buy a cheaper Tikka T3X UPR or T3X CTR, or jump in with one of the "tactical" models like the RPR or the T3X Tac A1 to get started, or try to build my own. That is, I don't know the comfort levels or completeness of each rifle, or if something like this is a better decision to get into to start:

I dont' mind buying a $2k rifle if it's THE rifle that keeps me going. But if it's better to buy a $1k tikka and put a 1000 rounds through it in order to figure out which $2k+ rifle I want, that's what I'd do. I can build one if that's a better/more cost effective option too. Can precision rifles be hauled around in a case in a pickup on rough ground and used as a coyote gun?

Sorry if this seems like a dummy post. The internet keeps defeating me, too much info leads me into indecision hell. Any help appreciated.
If you go to Ashbury precision website and look at the configuration tool that might help you compare apples to oranges even if you don't get one,
Many rifles out there difficult to compare,
Put it on paper and see what fits you and your needs/wants, yes I own one but I also have other rifles.
Try some different brands if you have that capability?
Gather the information that will help wade through the weeds, like action, barrel, trigger, weight (if that's important)
Do they test fire it and supply a test fire target and guarantee any kind of accuracy?
Support if you have issues?
Good luck with your selection.

My opinion is that if you're just getting into it: shooting lots > shooting a little. Cheaper rifle + reloading setup + shooting a bunch always beats just having a nice rifle.

Going the budget route, you could get a Howa 1500 and the best chassis you can afford: either an MDT ACC or a KRG Bravo chassis (or just find a Howa Bravo which includes both if you can). For the money, I don't think you can do better than a Howa as the Tikka's are sort of similar except a bit nicer, but you end up paying more for them, and at the end of the day the precision rifle world is still a "700-clone world" so to speak, so if you're going to start upping your budget and really spending towards the rifle, might as well skip right over what kitting out a Tikka costs and just go straight to a 700-clone rifle... That said, If you can find a Tikka T3x Tac A1 for a fair price, get it.

The important thing to remember with any precision rifle is that having a nice light trigger is absolutely a non-negotiable. Nothing does more.

The Howa's and Tikka's have great triggers after only a cheap spring swap, while that's usually an extra ~$300 with a 700-clone. Most of even the more expensive "production" 700-clone rifles out there don't come with the top shelf triggers, so be aware of that. The ARC Nucleus rifle is a great deal you may want to look at as they give you a Trigger Tech Diamond out of the box, as good as it gets, most don't.

I saw a guy last week with a full-on $$$ Manners/Custom/S&B setup that he couldn't hit steel with at 400yrds, don't be that guy lol.

What this guy said. Buy an inexpensive rifle, shoot the sh*t out of it until it's dead, buy a little better rifle.

Last edited:
A stock Tikka can get you to 1000 easy. Its the Toyota of Rifles. Dependable. Nice. Lasts a long time. You can get a bipod on it no prob. You lose points for cool factor on the base stock, but that means nothing for accuracy. Plus if you really want a different stock, buy it, throw tikka in it. Done.

Its really about the features you want in a stock. For me it was a cheek riser..I have the high Liz Warren Features so I got a Howa and a KRG, but I already had a KRG on my 308, so i knew i really liked the stock. Howa + KRG is literally 2 bolts. stupid easy. Even i cant't fark it up other than losing screws.

Lil outta my lane, but I think the Tikka is prob more favorable than the Ruger, but if you find a steal on the Ruger in 6.5 it goes a long way too.

Not a bad choice either way. Go to the store. Man handle them if you can. See what you like. Get that one.
Tikka is not a "Cheap" rifle. Its a quality price/performance rifle that will take you FAR in this game. In fact, i may be so bold as to say that while it might not be the fanciest action, it will never hold anyone back.

Shoot that first barrel out, slap a top notch barrel in, you are g2g and the only limit is you. (Not saying Tikka barrels are bad!! Factory is Factory)

Buy and get shooting. (from another over analyzing freak!)

My range buddy absolutely raves about his RPR in 6.5 CM. Especially the trigger.
Looks like a good value, too; as you won’t need to spend for an upgrade to the chassis or the trigger..

Here's a series to get into, watch all the parts if you're bored. My vote is the Tikka, buy the cheaper stock if you plan on upgrading. Or just search on this site and buy a used gun. Lots of good choices.

I guess it depends on what you're wanting to do with the gun? Both the RPR and Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 cr are excellent precision rifles. The CTR is also pretty much the same core rifle as the Tac A1. The Tikka action does feel very nice compared to many other production rifles. Don't forget about budgeting for your optic, that's half the rifle system.
I've had a Tac A1 in 6.5 I've been very happy with for 2 years now.
If you enjoy punishing yourself you can use it for hunting. I use mine to take feral hogs fairly often. This one I guess was from when I still had an old Vortex PST on it.
20190317_112933.jpg

Last edited: