• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help, Help, Help.

PJT

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2020
UK
Hello, I am trying to develop a load for my Rifle, 308 desert tech Covert and I appear to be getting inconsistent chronograph readings. I am also a bit dubious about relying upon my group sizes as my position (Bench rest) was becoming inconsistent/unsteady.
I was shooting in a Pipe Range and the chronograph measurements and group sizes were provided by the installed Shotmarker system. The Shotmaster system appears to be indicating some 200fps and more, higher than expected velocities based upon comparing both measured velocities using my chronograph and derived velocities using Dope with OME rounds.
The measurements were taken over a number of days, however I loaded up four rounds for each load and shot only three rounds of each, unless I had a flyer, the fourth rounds I shot at the following visit to act as a control so I compared the velocity of the first and second visits to see if they were consistent - they were. The first and second visited appeared to indicate a Node at 42.9gn. Loads between 42 and 43.8 gns were fired over the first two days.
The real confusion occurs after the third days shooting, with rounds loaded between 43.9 & 45gns.
Just for the record I am confident that the reloading process was consistent, new Lapua Brass was used, Bullets are 175gn SMK, Vhit Powder N140.

Please find a graph below of the Velocity measurements I have also included a pdf file of the actual readings from the spreadsheet. The readings from the first days shooting only consist of Group measurements. the remaining two days I manually recorded each round velocity. The only apparent difference is that on day three (a large fan had been placed in the Range which increased the air flow in the room and cooled the room down on the day, was a warm day 23deg to start with this dropped to 17 deg, the temperature in the room on earlier visits was in the 16, 17degC region.

Appreciate any assistance, Regards, Phil

1595071589152.png

Attachments

• Reloading Data DTS 308Win.pdf
    60.5 KB · Views: 72
Hi Reubenski, thanks,

All the chronograph measurements shown in the spreadsheet, and hence graph, were collected from the Shotmarker system. It must also be remembered that the Shotmarker system measures bullet velocity' at the target.

Before beginning to fire and record data of the Load development rounds, I fired a number of PPU rounds to "work out the kinks". For Interest I collected Velocity data using the Shotmaster.
I had previous data when using these rounds through this rifle, dope out to 800m and velocities collected using my Chronograph "Master Chrono" . This DOPE indicated that velocities collected using the Shotmarker system were "high". (Another shooter also mentioned that his data from the shot master system at the range were also high).
The Data from the PPU rounds is NOT included in the Spreadsheet/Graph.

regards

Your variance may come from differences in the test barrel the ammunition data people used and your rifle's barrel. A slightly tighter bore (.298" vice .300", per Palma gunsmithing practice) usually gives a slightly higher velocity than "Book data."

Interesting to note your N140 sweet spot is the same as mine with Varget at 44 grains (for a 175-grain 308 Match King).

Hi Sinister, Thanks for the input. One question, you mention the sweet spot as being 44grains. Could you explain please. I had been looking at 44.5 with the lowest ES, Spread and a relative small group. Providing I could rely upon the last 10 ish round stats being reliable.