• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP! I can't get my bolt back in

Nutro

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Austin, Texas
I swapped out the stock tactical bolt knob on my brand new Savage TR and now I can't get the fucking thing back in. I even put the stock one back on and it won't work.

Pics:

That's a bitch! I remember I had diffculty installing the NEW bolt that came with my Savage Axis 223. Their design leaves something to be desired. Good luck!

sorry I did not look at the pictures well enough, you need to cock the bolt (pretty sure). using the corner of a table or something, push the round knob (sleeve retaining pin) up the ramp and onto the detent........Hope that is what is going on.

Looks to me as if the firing pin simply needs to be re-cocked.

Use your 1/4" Allen wrench and back the nut all the way out then get the cocking piece in the correct position then re-tighten

Well I feel like an ass, I was trying to get the round knob pushed back to the side to reset the firing pin but I couldn't get it with my fingers. I just used the end of my wooden mallet and voila it works now.

Thanks guys, I know my way around an AR and handguns like a champ but this is the first time I've ever played with a bolt gun

One can have the same problem after disassembling a model 700 bolt if it is not rotated back to the cocked position upon reassembly.