• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help...I did something dumb

Former0302

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2008
Baltimore County
I bought a "chamber insert" in order to shoot .32 pistol rounds out of my .30/'06 Springfield.

That "insert" is now jammed in the chamber and won't extract. Can't use a rod / dowel because there is nothing to push against.

Questions:
1) Any tricks/things to try at home before taking it to the gunsmith?
2) Assuming I can't get it out on my own...any gunsmith recommendations for Northern Maryland?

Why I ever thought that product would work...?

Re: Help...I did something dumb

can you thread a screw into the "breech" of it? you will ruin it, but it will give the dowel something to push against. and maybe you could stick it in a freezer too and see if the "insert" will contract and come out easier. but tape a screw to a long screwdriver and take the bolt out and go in from the back. once you get the right size screw to thread into the "adapter" you can try to push it out with a rod or a dowel from the other end. squirt some penetrant in there too.

i always wondered how them dealymabobs worked

Yep, if a bronze brush didn't do the trick then Cerrosafe would be the fastest AND easiest answer,

Get an old brush, insert it halfway, then pull out so that the bristles are like barbs and pull the insert out. Logical.

Hardware store, get a few of the colored plastic wall inserts that flare out when you put a screw in them (green for .30 cal) & a long 5" wood screw , find your very long screwdriver and screw it on a little way , get it past the case , tighten and then use a needle nose plires to leverage it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a "chamber insert" in order to shoot .32 pistol rounds out of my .30/'06 Springfield.

That "insert" is now jammed in the chamber and won't extract. Can't use a rod / dowel because there is nothing to push against.

Questions:
1) Any tricks/things to try at home before taking it to the gunsmith?
2) Assuming I can't get it out on my own...any gunsmith recommendations for Northern Maryland?

Why I ever thought that product would work...? </div></div>

the product works fine. it should have been in the instructions that you use a broken case extractor to remove the insert. works perfect every time i've used inserts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Help...I did something dumb</div></div>

I have nothing to add other than this is probably the first time a 0302 admitted he did something dumb!

Bump for more ideas on how to get this out. Good luck.