• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help i need a custom head stamp

dave338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
EU
ok what i am looking for is either
1 a custom manufacture of .50 bmg brass
2 a supply of correctly marked .460 steyr brass
3 some one who can fill in excisting head stamp and then re-engrave

this is really quite important, i am putting together a .460 rifle that uses .458 dia heads, thing is our police only reconise the .458 win mag cartridge, they will go absolutly bonkers if they see the head stamp 50.bmg or a similar marking,
i would like the head stamp to read 460steyr or just.458
would only need a small number of cases that would be left in the gun cabinet to be used as samples ,

tried quality cartridge co , cant help
with all your collective knowlege, i hope someone has gone down this path before
cheers

Re: help i need a custom head stamp

not as good as 458-50
sorry

I was thinking that the 416 is based on a 50 BMG case so it would be headstamped 416.

The simple (?) solution would be to move here as we can have real 50 Ma Deuces in Wyoming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok what i am looking for is either
1 a custom manufacture of .50 bmg brass
2 a supply of correctly marked .460 steyr brass
3 some one who can fill in excisting head stamp and then re-engrave

this is really quite important, i am putting together a .460 rifle that uses .458 dia heads, thing is our police only reconise the .458 win mag cartridge, they will go absolutly bonkers if they see the head stamp 50.bmg or a similar marking,
i would like the head stamp to read 460steyr or just.458
would only need a small number of cases that would be left in the gun cabinet to be used as samples ,

tried quality cartridge co , cant help
with all your collective knowlege, i hope someone has gone down this path before
cheers </div></div>

Bell Brass use to have a hydro press with whatever you want it to say letters and #'s. I dont have a # Will look and see if I can find it.

cheers
i will look at the 416 as well

Try to get ahold Bertram brass, they make some obsolete brass. Other choice would be to give Buffalo Arms a try, they do alot of case forming to fit the old black powder ctg's. One of these 2 might be able to help.

cheers all
i think i phoned everyone no luck
last idea is to turn some on a lathe?

Does it have to say "460 Steyr", or just not say "50 BMG"? Military cases don't have the caliber stamped. Instead they stamp mfg. and year: "WCC 06" or "LC 08", for example.

http://www.ammo-one.com/460Steyr.html

If all you are worried about is that it doesn't say 50 bmg or have military markings try sticking them in a lathe and turning off some of the marking and while it's still in there use a punch and write "dave338's brass don't touch" on it. This way it doesn't look like Mil brass?

yes i know , but from that stamp the police would be able to find out it was originally 50bmg, all they have to do is call the mfg
they [police] will be pissy if they find my new deer stalking gun is based on a bmg case
in an ideall world i would stamp it [458dave] and just tell them its a new wildcat,
our laws are different from yours , the police tend to focus on the calibur and dont really understand the fact one dia bullet fits in loads of different cases
cheers for the link not seen this site before

i thinkthat will be the way to go,
also seeing if my smith can turn a couple from bar , just as examples
ive got some bmg brass here and the markings look quite deep, will try that next week and see what happens

I can't add anything to help your problem other than my support of your attempts at deceiving your intrusive government...you'll have to teach us some lessons how things are going over hear.

Rather than try and turn them off in a lathe, I would put them in a rotary setup on a mil and just slot cut the markings off. Reducing rim thickness may not be the best for headspacing and extraction.

With bar stock, you will have to be careful to choose material that has the same properties as worked cartridge brass if you want to fire it in a gun. The stamping process actually increases the strength and hardness of the brass it is formed from. Machining a case from the same raw material would yeild a case that was softer and weaker in the head area. It would be like using a case that has it's head annealed.

lesson 1 - BENDOVER and ask very politly how far
lesson 2 - realise the police are not there to uphold the law,
but to interpret as they see fit
lesson 3 - at some point you will realise you cant beat the
police and government the way things stand

what you have to do is play at there own game , that means lots of money , campaining for new members in the sport, making your voice heard about the olimpic games etc , we will only succseed if we can get a larger potion of the general public interested in shooting and field sports in general.we need to get shooting sports on tv thats where most of the population spends its time, sat on fat arses,
now if we had a black gay rifle team with disabilities our politically correct ministers might just listen!
at the end of the day its voters that count and its the only thing the government will listen to
so make sure you join all your pro shooting clubs and try and get all your shooting buds every month to introduce one none shooting friend to the art of rifle/pistol craft.

i would be happy with 5-10 machined cases and not use them for firing, just as handy examples should the police want to see .