• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Identifing Rifle

H5N1

Sergeant
Minuteman
A good friend of mine sent me these pics and asked what I thought it was. I have no idea. He said there was no markings other than the serial #

Let me know what you think this is.

downsize953.jpg

downsize.jpg

downsize952.jpg

Thanks

Re: Help Identifing Rifle

For correct identification of a Schmidt-Rubin, you need pictures of the:
- bolt & magazine area (which you already have)
- rear sight block (very important: missing here)
- picture of the muzzle / front sight block (missing here)
- full length picture to be able to see if it's a carbine or full length rifle (missing here)

Measurement of the barrel length and manufacture date on the rifle would also nice.
wink.gif

Also, the gun is on safe, btw. (some people think the trigger is busted when that happens & they don't know the design)

Anyhow, if the stock is authentic, there's a high chance of it being one of the very old Schmidt-Rubins like the Model 1889/1900, as it's missing the "hump" on the stock at the grip found in newer SRs.

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE 7.5x55</span></span> out of any SR until it has been properly identified. The earlier models will blow up in your face.

Edit: Tell your friend to remove the iron butt plate on the rear of the stock. Quite often servicemen left their ID there even after turning their rifle back in. This is true for K31, K11 & G11. Haven't seen any with the older ones myself, but who knows? My K31 had the ID info, it was a rifle of a soldier of the Nachrichtendienst (swiss military intelligence).

Re: Help Identifing Rifle

It looks like a Swiss 1911 rifle if the barrel is over 24 inches and a carbine if it's the short barrel version. It's not the older 1889 rifle but could be the 1889/1900. The 1889 rifle has a totally different magazine and has a lever on it's side which allows you to lower the magazine. Nor is it a K31/55 which would have the magazine directly in frront of the trigger guard as well as several other major differences. Better pictures of the entire rifle would help in the ID.