• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Help Identify AI 16” Fore-end

JR_77

Stock Detective
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2014
    TEXAS
    Need some help identifying this AI 16” fore-end I have. When I bought it the only description was 16” fore-end for AI but no model designation. I have a pre-2014 AICS chassis but this 16” fore-end would not fit the bolt pattern was different so not sure if it’s for a post 2014 AICS chassis or AI AX so any help identifying would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5B56AA4D-61E6-4C88-9377-25457497904B.jpeg
      5B56AA4D-61E6-4C88-9377-25457497904B.jpeg
      388.1 KB · Views: 70
    • 6F477A5A-4CFC-4A27-BCC3-00917B2266C7.jpeg
      6F477A5A-4CFC-4A27-BCC3-00917B2266C7.jpeg
      447.3 KB · Views: 70
    My pre-2014 AICS chassis has 5 mounting bolts on each side this one has 4 on each side does your AXMC have 5 mounting bolts (10 total)? Thanks!

It measures 16” and look at the pic of the end of the fore-end it doesn’t appear to be cut. Thanks!

Attachments

• 3EB3131C-68A8-476A-B936-D8EC307D247B.jpeg
      3EB3131C-68A8-476A-B936-D8EC307D247B.jpeg
      411.8 KB · Views: 56
    That's for an AI AX (pre-2014), not an AX AICS. Quick way to ID the difference is that AX AICS forends are notched at the top to give clearance for Remington 700 extended scope bases. AX scope bases are flush with the front of the receiver so the forend doesn't require a notch and it allows for a better transition when using the full length top rail.

Post-2014, AI AX and AX AICS chassis forends transitioned to a v-shaped interface that attaches through the plastic hand grip with two bolts without having to remove it. However, I don't believe that the forends are cross compatible between the AX and AX AICS on that generation either.

Last edited:
    That's for an AI AX (pre-2014), not an AX AICS. Quick way to ID the difference is that AX AICS forends are notched at the top to give clearance for Remington 700 extended scope bases. AX scope bases are flush with the front of the receiver so the forend doesn't require a notch and it allows for a better transition when using the full length top rail.

Post-2014, AI AX and AX AICS chassis forends transitioned to a v-shaped interface that attaches through the plastic hand grip with two bolts without having to remove it. However, I don't believe that the forends are cross compatible between the AX and AX AICS on that generation either.
    Like he said!
    I must agree with Trigger Monk, Your forend is of the pre-2014 AX, which is somewhat of an oddity but unique in its own way. I just purchased/took delivery of one this week from another Hide trader. The fore end is of the short tapered AX variety, it folds to the left as AW 2.0 does, has the pistol grip/butt of the AT and the cherry on top is it came in AICS AW-Law Enforcement BLACK.
    Following my web research this week I believe you may have something of a quite limited production run. Shoot me a PM if it becomes of no use to you?
    Burrdog

I initially responded to the op with a similar answer to yours. Then got my 2013 AXMC out and realized it has the V interface and 2 bolts. So I deleted my response as I figured I wasn’t even close on my thought.

Thanks for confirmation that I had it correct as I was searching afterwards trying to help the guy out somehow after giving what I thought was a incorrect statement.

So it is pre 2014 AX rifles. Just not AXMC

Thanks for the clarity here also.
    I just took my pre-2014 AX stock apart and realize I have AX AICS intended for a Rem 700 with the top notched for Rem scope base.
    The fore end is attached by 5 screws per side and not 4. In am liking it neither way.
    So it must be the 4 screw is Pre-2014 AI AX and the 5 screw is the Pre-2014 AX AICS (Rem/clone)

Thanks Trigger Monkey and burrdog for responding to my request it’s much appreciated. Glad to know what I have here.

Based my looks like it's been cut comment off the 4 vs 5 screw sets. Didn't realize the pre 2014 AI AX were different.