• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Identify Barrel Please

woojos

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
Well, I was presented with an opportunity to buy a custom rifle at a firesale price and I ended up picking it up. I haven't got a change to shoot it yet and it won't be for another week as duty calls.

I'm trying to identify components on it and most of it is straightforward. I hoping someone can help identify the barrel manufacturer. It has a distinctive crown and flutingand was also stamped 308 match. I'm not sure if this was done by the barrel maker or the guy who put the rifle together.

The barrel has 6 flutes and is 1.2" @ lug and .9" @ muzzle.

IMG_20131021_010616_445_zpsa4f17fe2.jpg

IMG_20131021_010839_398_zpsc2b62e20.jpg

IMG_20131021_010800_741_zps12a135ba.jpg

I didn't really appreciate it until I owned one, but a thick contoured barrel makes the stock light varmint barrel on the sd-aac look like a turd.

Last edited:
It will be very difficult to determine the maker of the barrel.

As for contour, 1.20 at the breach with a straight taper to .900 is a M40.

Looks like some rust is starting to set in on the crossbolts and pic rail. Just some friendly advice - try to remove that surface rust and stay ahead of it. What is the condition of the bore? Make sure to clean the bore prior to shooting using a good coated rod in the correct caliber, bore guide, and solvent of choice.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'll attend to the rust immediately. The bore looked good and it was the first thing I checked out. I don't think there has been many rounds at all through this gun.

From google, I think F&D sources from Lilja. Do you know if they were at one time associated with Cactus Weapons Systems?

Question about the finish on the barrel: Do most gunsmiths finish the barrels i.e. coat it so it doesn't have the stainless steel silver look? Is it a melonite finish? What else is commonly used on barreled actions?