• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help identify this please.

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    Can anyone identify this plate?
    It’s threaded for standard dies. Appears to be a vintage quick change plate for a high quality loading press. Indexed, threaded and beveled with precision. I have a stack of them.

Thoughts?
    @sirhrmechanic ?
    59FED52A-6304-4B39-958B-95FCDB4BC93A.jpeg

@buffalowinter ?

Thanks. Just found the press in the stack. It’s an older C&H. 👍

The plates slide front to rear. Thumb screw tightens to the index marking. I’ll post some photos in a few.

Thanks. When I first went through the presses I was looking for a line type press with fixed position plates. In other words the dies would be lined up R-L instead of front to rear. The front to back slider surprised me.

I had several dozen Hollywood presses bought when they were mostly unknown. A couple were semi automated commercial machines. One metallic and one shotshell.
    The most interesting one to me had 18 or 24 die positions, 3 turrets. One for dies, one for shell holders and one for primer feeders iirc. It was huge and must have weighed 80 pounds or more.
    Also had big boxes of parts, powder measures, shell holders, attachments etc. should have written a book on them.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    I had several dozen Hollywood presses bought when they were mostly unknown. A couple were semi automated commercial machines. One metallic and one shotshell.
    The most interesting one to me had 18 or 24 positions, 3 turrets. One for dies, one for shell holders and one for primer feeders iirc. It was huge and must have weighed 80 pounds or more.
    Also had big boxes of parts, powder measures, shell holders, attachments etc. should have written a book on them.

I’ve noticed old presses are getting a lot more attention these days. Unique features, rugged designs…. Simplicity. The big three (green, blue, red) make good stuff. And there is super cool niche stuff out there.

But vintage stuff has features and “ideas” all its own! Like those big Hollywoods. Just getting one in service would be fun!!! And the other makers all had inventions and gimmicks (features) that are lost today. As we are in a new golden age of Wildcatting… the old gear from that era has more value than people realize!

Sirhr

I’ve noticed old presses are getting a lot more attention these days. Unique features, rugged designs…. Simplicity. The big three (green, blue, red) make good stuff. And there is super cool niche stuff out there.

But vintage stuff has features and “ideas” all its own! Like those big Hollywoods. Just getting one in service would be fun!!! And the other makers all had inventions and gimmicks (features) that are lost today. As we are in a new golden age of Wildcatting… the old gear from that era has more value than people realize!

Sirhr
    I’m sure I sold too early. When I was buying them in the 80’s I found many in Shotgun News. I built crates for the various models. I would ship the crate to the seller. Extra crates for accessories.
    That way I could get presses that the seller “did not know how to ship.” I sold them in the same crates.

Last edited:
    The presses brought from 50-400$ in the 80’s. About 2010 I sold them for a bit more.