• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help identify this scope

ncoutdoorsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Fellas,

In my M40 build project, Im looking for a Redfield 3x9 Accurange scope. In my search for that scope, I came across this Redfield. I dont think its the one used on M40s, but the reticle looks correct.

What model is this scope, and how close is it to one used on an M40?

What value would you place on this scope?
red1.jpg

red3.jpg

red4.jpg

Re: Help identify this scope

Redfield Widefield. Early to mid 70's. I've got one of the first Widefields on my Rem 700 M40 Comm. The scope that I have was supposedly a Redfield prototype and was told it was built in 1968, but I never was able to find much more info than that. Mine has a taller elevation turret than the one you posted. I can post pics later if you'd like.

Sure, love to see it.

I guess my accurange search continues. I knew it wasn't the one I was looking for due to that tall turret, but I did get excited when I saw that tombstone reticle. Very cool feature.

Whats one of these go for these days?

Thanks for your help.

Thats a Widefield alright. If I remember correctly..you turn the power ring until the deer fits in between the two lines and then read the distance at the scale at the bottom or something like that.

I see them at gun shows quite often. They go for around $100 to $175 depending on their condition. If the eye piece was round you would a lot happier because it would wotk on your M40 rebuild.

Here is what the original accuranges for the M40 look like. The 1st gen scopes will say 3X-9X Redfield 1" tube. The Marine contract scopes were anodized green. 2nd gen Redfields were a satin black (not gloss) and said 3x-9x Redfield on the side. Both scopes are a little hard to come by but they are around. The Green ones are pretty hard to find because a large amount of them were damaged in the jungle. Records indicate that there were probably only around 700 of these scopes built. The gloss black scopes are still plentiful and usually fetch between $200 and $600.

RedfieldGreenscope.jpg

100_1805.jpg

Early Redfield Widefield w/ Accurange reticle on my Rem M40 Comm.
I thought I'd do this until I found the real thing. The scope functions flawlessly. I had Joe at LTM color it green. All of the 60yr old ex-Navy SEALS I run into always think its the real deal... LOL!
16k5h4y.jpg

ioj53l.jpg

I have the Accurange Widefield 3x9 w/tombstone reticle as well & am mounting it on an early smear M40A1 turn-in build until I can part with the scratch for a Unertl or MST-100..... I'm very impressed with the FOV with the widefield, and ranging is a piece of cake!

I thought the early widefield had a round objective and the oval(tv) rear lens. My early Redfield 3x9 widefield has a round objective and tv rear, it also has both the accurange range finder and the accutrac bullet drop system. The accutrac system allowed the use of different cams for different bullet weights and you could dial in the distance using this feature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Early Redfield Widefield w/ Accurange reticle on my Rem M40 Comm.
I thought I'd do this until I found the real thing. The scope functions flawlessly. I had Joe at LTM color it green. All of the 60yr old ex-Navy SEALS I run into always think its the real deal... LOL! </div></div>

Chris that is a beauty of a rifle, sure does look the part and the commemoratives shoot beautiful. Super cool rifle, nice job!!

Nc: yes these scopes are mine. I've go a couple of the satin black scopes but only one greenie. Good luck with your search, if I run across one I will let you know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Accurange Widefield 3x9 w/tombstone reticle as well & am mounting it on an early smear M40A1 turn-in build until I can part with the scratch for a Unertl or MST-100..... I'm very impressed with the FOV with the widefield, and ranging is a piece of cake! </div></div>

Wild Bill, sounds like you got a plan for the perfect rifle, been following your accumulation of parts an I am looking forward to seeing it come to life. I think the Redfields were the std. scope on the A1 until the early 80's, gonna be a classy piece that you don't see assembled very often!

I think the Redfields that had both the objective and the ocular oval are refered to as the low profile widefield but I am not sure. All of the early ones I have seen had the round objective, not sure when they started making both ends oval.

Xarmor, I believe you are correct that the ones with lopro on them had both objective and eyes lens that were oval. I don't believe the military ever used them except for test evaluation. Heres a link for using the accutrac system, but I don't hear good things about their repair service.
http://www.abousainc.com/ATsystem.htm

OutlawTen5,
Just to set the record straight the scope in the pic that you posted ia NOT an Accu-Range. It is an Accu-Trac.

DFOOSKING,
No, none of the USMC Refield contract scopes (as issued with the M40) had a BDC system. They were all Accu-Range scopes that came with the double crosswire ranging system in conjunction with a "tombstone" range scale. No BDC dials, no BDC elevation turret. You might be confusing the USMC M40 Redfield with the later M40A1 USMC 10X Unertl sniper scope which indeed was equipped with a BDC turret.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Early Redfield Widefield w/ Accurange reticle on my Rem M40 Comm.
I thought I'd do this until I found the real thing. The scope functions flawlessly. I had Joe at LTM color it green. All of the 60yr old ex-Navy SEALS I run into always think its the real deal... LOL!
16k5h4y.jpg

ioj53l.jpg
</div></div>

Who is Joe at LTM. I have a redfield that needs color.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/refinishers.cfm

http://www.larsontactical.com/id26.html <=====<<< Joe at LMT

I had him do a rifle in MARPAT and it is awesome that was about 3 yrs ago then a year or so ago he had a family tragedy I am told and had great difficulty with the business. I know some guys who had trouble contacting him and getting their guns back. Im not sure if everything is on level ground now or not.
The people who would probably know is George at GAPrecision in Kansas City as he did a lot of work for George.
http://www.gaprecision.net/contact-ga-precision.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Culpeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Who is Joe at LTM. I have a redfield that needs color. </div></div>

He's the guy you send your shit too if you never want to see it again...

I've got a same-era "Telstar" that I believe is the same scope made for K-mart - funny thing is that you can go out half an hour before sunrise and HUNT with it -

Looking at acquiring one of these soon!

Sweet setup!!