• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Help identifying tubes

Tonsofguns

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
Northern Va
Does anyone know anything about these tubes?
They seem to be Harris Omni 8 mil spec tubes. I don’t have a spec sheet so hard to say. Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 78727200-130B-47D4-9ADA-944245D69E4D.jpeg
    78727200-130B-47D4-9ADA-944245D69E4D.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 296
Without being able to see more of the numbers, pinning it down exactly is somewhat difficult in what appears to be your RNVG's.

It is an Elbit Omni 8 mil spec tube.

This below link may help you pin down more tube data.

What is very interesting in that link is that the Government is still awarding brand new contracts for PVS-7 B/D units in 2021.

Meanwhile, Sam at TNVC says the following PVS 7: "its antique, belongs in a museum and historical videos, has no place in modern night vision usage."

Maybe Sam needs to tell Uncle Sugar that. :LOL:

Why you shouldn’t buy a PVS-7​

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonsofguns
Thanks for this information. In your opinion would the mil spec mean the tube is at a minimum average or good standard?
I hear there are many classifications of mil spec and some can be rather low.

The Omni 8 contract tubes have pretty decent minimum specs. I have run Omni 7 Contract tubes up against some SN 35 thin filmed Elbit tubes and could not tell any significant practical difference.

If they aren't all blemed up with spots and have clean cosmetics they should be pretty nice performing units.

Reactions: Tonsofguns
Ok so I compared those Omni 8 to an Omni 7 I bought for cheap here a few years back.
This comparison is in dark light conditions, and is rather discouraging.
The first pic is my Omni 7 and the Second is Omni 8 Rnvg. There has to be something wrong with them
0BCA962D-EE1E-4FE4-814E-F8E68F3C3986.jpeg

63E77D0F-E519-4191-8977-4C93D1473355.jpeg

if your rnvg has anvis lenses then you might get a poor result indoors or if the unit was very warm the ebi could be more

Unit was not warm when run in that pic.
It seems to just run really fuzzy in general, having it sent off to get looked at shortly here to figure out what’s going on.
My guess is something is off with the gain. Coming in bright and like there is too much noise overall

Last edited: