• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help in deciding on first precision rifle

clydeglock

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Franklin, TN
Guys, need some input on selecting my first precision rifle, something I can get my hands on by summer and be respectable with by November when deer season starts here in TN. I don't think there is time to wait for a new GAP or Tac Ops.

I am considering a used GAP for sale on the forums here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1003834&gonew=1#UNREAD

It has a titanium rec. and is in .308 (500 rounds thru by jrtroubleshooter on the hide) vs. a brand new Precision Rifle and Tool, also in .308. All-in both would be right at $3000 (once I buy a 700 BDL action for the Pr.R&T.) You can read about the GAP in the for sale section, but it has a ABS carbon wrapped barrel (blank from Mike Rock), Manners stock, etc. The Precision R&T uses my Rem 700 BDL action, a Broughton SS 5-C barrel in #5 contour, 26", carbon fiber and graphite stock w/alum. chassis, pillar bedded, glassed over aluminum, jewell trigger w/bolt stop and safety set to my specs. The price includes a Harris swivel bipod, non-reflective coating added to the barrel, and load development, prolly based on 150 gr Berger DLV's. You can see a pic of one almost exactly like it here: http://www.precisionriflesales.com/gallery.htm It's the one at the bottom right hand corner.

Evev though most of the time I will be target shooting with this rifle, it's most important to me that it's light weight for carrying when hunting. The GAP weighs 7 pounds, the Prec. R&T weighs 8. I prefer the sound going downrange, so no muzzle break either way, prolly pretty decent recoil with both. No biggie, flinching has never been my problem (at least not with rifles).

I would like to apologize to those my previous thread may have riased the ire of. Lowlight has all the facts and I think would attest that my intentions were legitimate (though perhaps ignorant) and did not intend to dig up an old wound. I salute George for the manner in which he responded to my post, quite professional I'd say.

Re: help in deciding on first precision rifle

GAP built rifle with an ABS / Rock barrel? <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">BUY IT!</span></span>

I've shot ABS barrels for years now and I choose them over all other barrels. I use either Krieger, Mike Rock, or Saturn barrels. Any way you go, the results are outstanding.

Buy the GAP!