• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help in deciding scope and correct ring height

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Ok, it is like this : I have a Mosin Nagant (I know, I know...) that I have sporterized myself with a nice trigger , bent bolt , modified stock , etc . I installed the aluminum pillars and bedded and free floated the barrel . The Barrel has an impressive rifling and looks great. Anyway... I am getting a scope for it . I haven`t shot it yet and even thou I am not expecting miracles , perhaps it would do OK for a Mosin . Now... I am not spending too much money on the scope , so $300.00 is the top . I cut go with a real cheap scope but I don`t think it will survive the recoil , so I am between the SS 10X42 Super Sniper and the Millet TRS-1 (?)... Both cost the same , so which one will be best ? The scope rail will be 1/4" height from the barrel , so if I am calculating correctly and I use 1/4" low rings with the SS 10x42 , I will have 4.7mm of extra free space after mount it ... Please, check the calculations and suggest advice for buying the scope .. Thanks

Re: Help in deciding scope and correct ring height

Gosh , not a single reply ... Is it because it is a Mosin ? I have my Savage 10FCP 5R but this Mosin is a proyect of mine and , frankly , I cut use some advice on scoping it . I know it is not up to the standards of Remingtons and Savages or Gaps , but after all the upgrades that I have made to this thing , I think even myself am going to be surprised when I shoot it ...

Re: Help in deciding scope and correct ring height

If you go to the top of the page their is a sticky about determining ring height.