• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help- laminate stock strength

calling4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
MN, United States
I've got a tikka sporter, new model with the orange/gray laminate stock.

I want to install a chunk of pic. rail on the bottom of the butt just in front of the recoil pad, to be used for the accushot monopod.

I'd obviously drill pilot holes, but the laminated pieces are vertical not horizontal, so I'm not screwing into stacked pieces like a guy would want.

I'm wondering if this is smart? Will the laminate stock hold fine, or is this a bad idea?

I'm worried that the stock will split apart, or risk of screws pulling, the monopod will always be on the stock and will be used a lot.

So, what do you gentlemen think? I appreciate the advice

Re: Help- laminate stock strength

Well just my .02 but think about it for a few, the recoil screws are going in with the grain and they are strong. You would be going in cross grain and that will be stronger. If you drill your pilot holes ( i think this is a must ) to the minor Dia. of the screw you should be OK. You also can take a file and cut a square edge like a tap on the first 2-3 threads to make it a self tapping screw. That way you are not trying to split the wood.

I'd do as the West System advocates for fasteners on boats. Drill an oversized hole (and even undercut the inside) and fill with a reinforced epoxy, such as Devcon steel. Insert one of the externally and internally threaded steel fittings (you can get them at Lowe's or such-they are used to hold shelves and cabinets together)...degrease the exterior and have a screw that is lubed inserted into the internal threads. That way you'll have a metal thread to tighten into. Smooth everything off and allow to set. Remove the internal screw and clean everything up.

I appreciate the replies and would love to get more.

I can't get into the butt, I'm going into solid wood, not a hollow body.

The threaded insert idea may be doable, the problem is the minimal area I have to work with.

I may only have the choice of drilling the pilot holes and screwing straight in...
But, I could bed the pic. rail to the stock along with that, giving that 100% or close to, contact.

Please keep the ideas coming, or even just votes on if you believe a guy is fine just simply screwing it in.

This stock is why I wanted this gun, I would be beside myself if I f'ed it up.

I have drilled a couple of inch or so diameter holes in a Remington VSL and poured in melted lead to add wt. I had some hesitation ad I thought the glue.would give, but it worked fine.