• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help!! Live round stuck in my Rem700.

SFC RHYNO

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2020
USA
I have a live round stuck in my rem700. I've tried pushing it through backwards but I have broken a range rod and my favorite boretech cleaning rod. Brownells has the perfect tool for what I need but it's unobtainable right now. No back order etc... Like everything else everyone is waiting for. Does anyone have one I can buy? Caliber is 300WM. Located in Northeast Florida, I'll pay shipping etc...

Reactions: pabrousseau
Are there any gunsmiths close to you? May be faster going that route.

Is this a stock rem 700 with the original barrel?

Reactions: Kinz
Yeah I talked to one, he told me to put it in the freezer and use a carbon rod with a 30 cal jag and hammer away. I've already broken my rods. I need that Brownells tool

And no on the barrel. It's a custom barrel with a match chamber. I screwed up and used brass sized for my old chamber.15 of the 16 rds fired worked. The last lodged just short of having the bolt in battery.

Is the case head still on the bolt head? Could have lugs partially engaged

Get a awooden dowel from HD or Lowe's. With the bolt removed from the rifle, spray some silicone into the bore from both ends to loosen things up. let it soak in. Then use a compressor for some hi pressure air into the muzzle, which will force the silicone around the sides of the bullet. After that you should be able to use the wooden dowel to tap her free.

CE662612-F659-42B3-9816-D3296BFB462B.png

1/4” brass round stock might be worth acquiring.
HD or Lowes should have brass round stock.
Worst case, MetalsDepot.com

Link to tool at Brownell’s that you are looking to borrow / buy would be pretty helpful.

Reactions: 338dude
Did not know this existed, Kinda cool. Theres even a video.

Reactions: deltawiskey

I saw a guy put Kroil oil from the bolt, let it soak and then down the barrel with some oil. Then screwed on a piece of metal in place of the brake and used a grease gun. Popped that round right out!

Reactions: DH302 and 338dude
I removed the bolt after it happened. I put CLP down the barrel while I was away on leave for two weeks. I came back tonight and not a drop had passed through. Barrel not threaded so my grease gun adapter is no use

I’d probably get a helper, put the bolt back in and engage the case head with the extractor, grap a rubber mallet, then get a wooden dowel from hardware or use a aluminum cleaning rod, and have some one tap the bolt handle with mallet while I smack the cleaning rod.

Last edited:
Find a 1/4 metal rod, I use steel because it’s what I have handy, the brass about will work, and wrap it in tape if you’re worried. Make sure the bolt is removed and then stick the rod down the barrel and beat the shit out of it until it pops out.

I sure as fuck wouldn’t have the bolt in the action and closed trying to beat it out with a rod in the bore.

Definitely not a closed bolt, that’s not even possible. Extractor engaged and if you you’re worried remove the firing pin.
Also, you don’t need grease you can use water and a tight fitting jag or wad. Fill it with water and use a short tight fitting rod with a jag and patch. Soak patch with oil. Smack with hammer creating a hydro ram. Water doesn’t compress.

Last edited:
as was stated earlier,

spray some Kroil, not fucking gun lube, Kroil. It will penetrate rusty shit, it'll definately penetrate this.

take a rubber tipped air nozzle for your compressor, surely you have one of those?

keep your head out of the way......................then press the rubber tip onto your muzzle, shoot some air in. It'll speed up the whole Kroil penetration, relying on gravity thing.

then take a wooden dowel and knock it out.

none of this is hard since your bolt is already out.

For those still following on this thread. I put it in my deep freezer all day. Used my brass rod and the round came right out. Note to self, be strict on using virgin brass or only brass fired in this chamber. I already knew this but I lost discipline one time and it bit me in the tail.

On a side note for all you guys using kroil place a couple of drops of it beside a couple of drops of atf, on metal or rusty metal. Come back in twelve hours and see which one has expanded more.

Lowes has long wooden dowels. Get one about 1/3 inch and get to hammering.
Wood dowels not a great idea at all. Same with slugging a bore. You splinter that wood and drive it in between the bore and what's in the bore, and now you have a much bigger problem. Solid or heavy wall brass or aluminum round bar or tube available from many metals suppliers - that's your ticket.

I’ve broken those wooden dowels on a squib. They are shit. You need a brass rod at best. If you broke two cleaning rods then a wooden dowel doesn’t stand a chance.

Take it to the gunsmith. He may have to cut the barrel off, but it's better than the serious injury you could get. In the future, I would not reload belted magnums without using the Larry Willis collet die to properly size the case just ahead of the belt.

Reactions: 338dude
Get a piece of .25 stainless steel rod about 30 inches long and then take some electrical tape and wrap the outside so you don't damage the rifling in your gun and a small hammer should do the trick, I'm sure you can get the rod off of the internet. You need to put some cotton balls or something soft to catch that round so that it doesn't go off when it comes out

If you put the barrel in the microwave for a minute or two it should heat up and expand enough for the cartridge to fall out!!!! Disclaimer: I am not a professional or a gunsmith but I did just save a bunch of money by switching my my car insurance to Gieco

Respectfully........ NEVER use heat of any kind on a live round unless you want to create another more serious problem like blowing your head off!

we keep a wooden dowel cheap at the same hardware store and an Anodized Aluminum $9.18 @ lows a hardware store , as well as a shock hammer 11.99 on amazon for a little 1lb er . It's come in handy having it mostly for others with stuck rounds Id also suggest a small block of wood for stuck bolts . I pull my bolt remove any mag that's in use and stick the rod in the barrel and within a few taps it usually comes out I would not suggest hitting the primed end . Best of luck to you getting your stuck round out it happens but it is a pain only if you don't have the items to fix it with you while at the range and have to cut your trip short .

Last edited:
I have a live round stuck in my rem700. I've tried pushing it through backwards but I have broken a range rod and my favorite boretech cleaning rod. Brownells has the perfect tool for what I need but it's unobtainable right now. No back order etc... Like everything else everyone is waiting for. Does anyone have one I can buy? Caliber is 300WM. Located in Northeast Florida, I'll pay shipping etc...
I had same issue, same gun, same caliber. Learned lesson about buying reloads. Range rod banging pushed bullet into case. So, filled barrel with oil, left over a weekend. Removed muzzle break, my gunsmith threaded on a pneumatic grease gun and Walah! Pushed that non-full length cased sized little bugger right out. We did the same with a M82a1 Barrett with a live .50Cal round in the chamber. Worked very well. Safe too