• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help me build a cheap 223 bolt gun!

nch209

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2022
USA
Hello,

First post. (Been on here for a while viewing the great “Form 4 wait time” thread.

I’d like to have a nice bolt gun for plinking and varmet blasting. 223/556 is the only choice based on my ammo stockpile, suppressor, and budget. How off base am I on the following?

While it would be easy to buy a Ruger American, toss on a scope and be done, I think I want a tad more. Looking at the CZ Alpha.

The one gripe I have is with it’s barrel- a bit long for my wants, especially with a suppressor hanging off the front. Is it a mistake to chop it down to a 14 or 16 inch barrel, and have a nice little compact gun. The twist rate should be able to stabilize still, right? My 10.3 ar does well- so a bit longer has to be fine. Both are 1:7 twist I think. (I am totally ok making it a SBR and pay for the stamp- or cut it to 18 or 20…/.From there add a nice scope and call it a day.

How off base am I?
Thanks!

I had a CZ 527, 223 sporter. Nice rifle. Finish , metal and wood. Mag was finicky. Thin single stack. Don’t know about what this current model is like.

Reactions: nch209
Love the .223 bolt gun and would recommend it....How you set it up is eye of beholder stuff. The Tikka CTR 20" is also compelling idea. Having aftermarket support is key for modern stock/chassis, magazines etc. A finished barrel (w/muzzle device) of 20-22inches is a nice rifle.

I just bought at Remington 700 223 SPS because they now make it in an 8 twist. About to work up a load with 75 elds and will update how it shoots. I also bought a newer 243 BDL (gorgeous gun) and it shoots under a half inch with 105s, also because of the updated 8 twist rate. Very encouraged by the new Remingtons coming out.

Zermatt Arms Origin Action.
Preferred Barrel Blanks 18" .850 barrel
Stock of your choice.

You will be able to buy a barrel of about any caliber you want or need down the road. It is all based on a Rem700 Action.

18" 6.5 Creed pictured in a MTU profile. I have 4 barrels I swap between.

7A370DAA-E7F1-42FB-968F-9FAA63A36F18.jpg

Probably find better info in this forum and this post.

Zermatt Arms Origin Action.
Preferred Barrel Blanks 18" .850 barrel
Stock of your choice.

You will be able to buy a barrel of about any caliber you want or need down the road. It is all based on a Rem700 Action.

18" 6.5 Creed pictured in a MTU profile. I have 4 barrels I swap between.

View attachment 8102677
IMHO...this ^^^^

He's looking at complete guns that are cheaper than just the action you are recommending.
+1 A custom .223 isn't any cheaper than any other match rifle...

And Custom "switch barrel" rifles still need $400 for a .223 bolt-face and new $700 barrel which is $1,100 of incremental cost.

I have several Tikka T3X series rifles as well as a Ruger American rifle.

I'd suggest you spend the money and get a Tikka T3X rifle either a CTR or any other one depending on what you want in the stock, instead of getting the Ruger one if you can afford it.

The Tikka is going to have a much smoother action and much better aftermarket options.

Of course it is double the cost so...

The Mauser 18 also is a nice smooth action to build off of, but has like zero aftermarket support and costs close to the Tikka so that's a bust unless you get a really good deal on one.

If you can afford to buy a custom action for say $900 and then a prefit barrel and then a trigger and a stock, you could be way ahead, but now you are talking 3x or more the cost of a Tikka.

Also just as a note, don't be afraid to go hunt around all the local gun stores regularly for a few months looking for good deals on used rifles in the caliber you want.

You might find better deals on .223 rifles locally rather than online or in a forum, due to shipping cost and such.

I had a CZ 527, 223 sporter. Nice rifle. Finish , metal and wood. Mag was finicky. Thin single stack. Don’t know about what this current model is like.

I love mine, and the set trigger is fun to play with. It also seems to shoot everything well. Years ago I bought about 3000 rounds of steel case 223 for $49.00. Who could pass that up.

At 100 yards it is softball groups and it only goes up hill from there. Only thing I will say is I had to do tall rings on mine as the bolt would keep hitting the scope. Aside from that it is a real fun plinker.

Not sure why I took this photo but it does show how high I had to go to get the bolt to work.

1679505509403.png

I habe owned a few Ruger products, none of which have wowed me, they work but are crude. Own a Tikka t3 superlight .223 have been super pleased with it. Action is the slickest factory 4ifle i have evr experienced. It shoots sub moa ALL day long with most ammo i have tried, Fiocci 50gr have worked well

If you want a cheap shooter your not afraid to beat up a bit and want compact the Ruger ranch 556 is great.

If you plan to do more range work and don’t mind weight then Tikka ctr in a krg bravo is nice but more money

I have both. They each do their job well

Ranch 556
D6148E82-E1CF-454A-AC27-A5BBC25ED150.jpeg

Awesome info! Thanks all. What I’ve learned is I have options and need to study up more!!! Thanks- this gives me lots of avenues to explore. I want to take my time and do this build ONCE. Lol. Thanks again!

One last thing- do any of the above mentioned types of bolt guns pop up in the classified section on this forum- or are they more of a niche that people seem to keep and not sell? I’ve been watching but haven’t seen much…

Thanks much!

Awesome info! Thanks all. What I’ve learned is I have options and need to study up more!!! Thanks- this gives me lots of avenues to explore. I want to take my time and do this build ONCE. Lol. Thanks again!
Of your options in this thread the Tikka or Origin build out would be the best options. Between the two the origin build would be more expensive up front though more future proof/room to grow into.

If you want a cheap shooter your not afraid to beat up a bit and want compact the Ruger ranch 556 is great.

If you plan to do more range work and don’t mind weight then Tikka ctr in a krg bravo is nice but more money

I have both. They each do their job well

Ranch 556
View attachment 8102993
My daughter has this rifle in .300 BO. the bolts on my Tikkas are smooth as silk, the bolt on the Ruger is like a fat girl wearing corduroy pants,
The bolt on my old savage's have a heavy lift and are prone to bind if you get ham fisted, but they run 100% so far.
The Ruger's price point means that it's not as smooth as the Tikka but we all have to make decisions as to that works best for us within budgetary constraints.

My daughter has this rifle in .300 BO. the bolts on my Tikkas are smooth as silk, the bolt on the Ruger is like a fat girl wearing corduroy pants,
The bolt on my old savage's have a heavy lift and are prone to bind if you get ham fisted, but they run 100% so far.
The Ruger's price point means that it's not as smooth as the Tikka but we all have to make decisions as to that works best for us within budgetary constraints.
Mine functions decent. Bolt is smooth without a mag and has a zipper sound when you run it for some reason. Type of mag will effect how it runs with the mag. Mine uses AR mags. So I can run a 10 round Magpul to a 60 round drum if I want.

No it’s not as smooth as my Tikka’s but for the price and what’s it’s for it’s decent. The two 3 shot groups on that paper are at 100 yards with hornady steel case HP 55 grain. Shot with the Burris RT6 shown in pic

However that doesn’t seem like the way the OP should go. Based on his post so far. But he did list in original post so I figured it was worth a mention should anyone else be deciding the same

Hands down I’ll take Tikka over any Ruger, Remington or savage

I habe owned a few Ruger products, none of which have wowed me, they work but are crude. Own a Tikka t3 superlight .223 have been super pleased with it. Action is the slickest factory 4ifle i have evr experienced. It shoots sub moa ALL day long with most ammo i have tried, Fiocci 50gr have worked well

I feel the same way, I don't think I have come across a ruger that has done a single thing for me, I have however come across several that make me wonder just how that company stays in business......oh yea fantastic customer support.....they need it.

I just think you play the ruger lotto when you buy something, it may be good or it may come in with a bent barrel. God how I wish I took photos of that, as well as recorded their fantastic customer support.

For a factory rifle, Tikka. You can get the varmint or super varmint in .223, might be able to find a nos or used CTR also.

I had a varmint, cut it down to 18” and threaded. I prefer the CTR mag setup though due to the capacity. You could use a Bravo stock and use aics mags then.

You will end up spending as much incrementally on a “cheap” bolt gun, as if you had just bought a much higher quality unit to begin with. Trust me, I’ve built lots of customs and “budget build” 700’s. It all washes out, unless you have a gunsmith who doesn’t charge tons of money for labor, or you save on labor by doing it yourself, if you have the skills, knowledge, and equipment.

If you can find a new Remington 700 5R 20” .223 that would be a great platform to start your build from.

I've built 223 "trainers" about 5 different ways. One of them was a Ruger American 5.56 but it wouldn't shoot under 1 MOA no matter what ammo I tried.

The Remage setups shoot pretty well if you can find a cheap donor 223 action. Then you have a ton of aftermarket support available...stocks, triggers, etc.

Tikka's shoot great. The CTR is a good recommendation if you can find one.

My current build is a Lone Peak Fuzion with a Krieger barrel in a Bravo stock. Probably way more than you want to spend but you'll never find a factory rifle that will shoot anywhere close to what this gun will do.

I threw my new factory Remington 700 SPS with an 8 twist in a McMillan and called it a day.
I’d swap the trigger out to a TriggerTech Diamond before calling it a day. Those factory x-mark pro triggers are absolute junk and nothing but lawyer-proof trashcan fodder. Remove and replace before shooting, and throw the factory unit away.

Thanks for all the replies! Seems like Tikka is the easy choice, but I’ll obviously have to get it threaded. No biggie I guess… but it does make the Rem 700 sps (above) look appealing, especially the tactical since it’s short and already threaded.

Funny how the prices just keep creeping up! Lol. I need to get everything on paper and priced out…. Ideally I’d like to find one already built but not seeing very much…

Hello,

First post. (Been on here for a while viewing the great “Form 4 wait time” thread.

I’d like to have a nice bolt gun for plinking and varmet blasting. 223/556 is the only choice based on my ammo stockpile, suppressor, and budget. How off base am I on the following?

While it would be easy to buy a Ruger American, toss on a scope and be done, I think I want a tad more. Looking at the CZ Alpha.

The one gripe I have is with it’s barrel- a bit long for my wants, especially with a suppressor hanging off the front. Is it a mistake to chop it down to a 14 or 16 inch barrel, and have a nice little compact gun. The twist rate should be able to stabilize still, right? My 10.3 ar does well- so a bit longer has to be fine. Both are 1:7 twist I think. (I am totally ok making it a SBR and pay for the stamp- or cut it to 18 or 20…/.From there add a nice scope and call it a day.

How off base am I?
Thanks!

This checks a lot of boxes. Has all the aftermarket support in the world.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Oh one more thing, is the CZ alpha deserve to be kicked out of consideration? Does it fall that far back from the Tikka? I’m fine with that and not married to anything- just curious.

I too would go a Tikka something, either a standard, varmint or CTR depending on what your end goal is.

A KRG Bravo is definitely the best bang for the buck if you want to get chassis features, if you aren't wanting to add weights/attach things, then don't be affraid to stick with the factory stock. IMO the normal stock with the vertical grip and a cheek riser is rather excellent as far as cheap plastic stocks go. I added some GroveTec QD stockets to mine and honestly it's near perfect for what you are talking about.
You can always add a chassis/stock later on if you want too.

As far as what base Tikka to buy, I'd make the decision based on barrel weight (thickness) and what magazines you want to use.
A CTR in a Bravo is personally what I'd do as I like CTR magazines but if you want to go AICS then it's probably not the best starting point.

I would definitely go a Tikka over other rifle options, just handling cheaper rifles like the Howa, Ruger and Remingtons, the Tikka is clearly the nicer rifle. If you did want to save money then go Howa, if you ever want to upgrade the stock don't go for the mini, get he standard 1500 action.

Savage rifles are generally good to go right out of the box and I find their heavier varmint barrels to shoot well. A Savage will not be as nice out of the box as a CZ or Tikka, but they are less expensive.

I have mostly stuck with Savage rifles since they are easier to find locally in left handed versions compared to other brands. And they have all shot well for me.

When it comes to factory rifles, it really depends on your budget, what you want, and much brand/model fits you the best. From there you get into custom builds. As others have mentioned, buying a factory rifle then spending more money to customize it will put you into the same price range of custom builds.

A Savage would be fine if you don't plan to mod it, I'd take one over a current 700. Their resell value sucks ass though.

A Savage would be fine if you don't plan to mod it, I'd take one over a current 700. Their resell value sucks ass though.
I used to be a savage guy, but these actions have managed to get rougher and stocks are just junk. Not that Remington factory offers anything substantially better, the aftermarket support will cater to any any budget.

I agree the Tikka offers a very nice base rifle, but you seem to hit a wall with aftermarket options unless your looking at a KRG (nothing wrong with that tho). There's just so much based on the Rem 700 to offer anything you want. I've had all these rifles and lately gravitated back to Remington because of the newest offering. The BDL 243 that I just bought is like a whole other animal. The action is just as smooth as a Tikka or Bergara, excellent bluing and the walnut stock...oh man. This 243 also has an updated 8 twist, which is another reason I picked it up. I have a load thats about a 1/2 and under.
20230307_180121.jpg

20230307_180411.jpg

I used to be a savage guy, but these actions have managed to get rougher and stocks are just junk. Not that Remington factory offers anything substantially better, the aftermarket support will cater to any any budget.

I agree the Tikka offers a very nice base rifle, but you seem to hit a wall with aftermarket options unless your looking at a KRG (nothing wrong with that tho). There's just so much based on the Rem 700 to offer anything you want. I've had all these rifles and lately gravitated back to Remington because of the newest offering. The BDL 243 that I just bought is like a whole other animal. The action is just as smooth as a Tikka or Bergara, excellent bluing and the walnut stock...oh man. This 243 also has an updated 8 twist, which is another reason I picked it up. I have a load thats about a 1/2 and under. View attachment 8104940

View attachment 8104941
Is that 100% factory coming out of the NEW Remington plant? DAMN! They really took quality control back 60 years, and started having some pride in their guns! Damn, I might have to pickup one of the new ones, just to see how they are. The updated twists and 5R rifling in EVERY rifle and cartridge is a huge upgrade that was LONG overdue.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
Is that 100% factory coming out of the NEW Remington plant? DAMN! They really took quality control back 60 years, and started having some pride in their guns! Damn, I might have to pickup one of the new ones, just to see how they are. The updated twists and 5R rifling in EVERY rifle and cartridge is a huge upgrade that was LONG overdue.
Yep. I confirmed it's a new Remington and not old stock. I'm telling you, I picked it up at the gun store and and immediately started filling out the paperwork. So smooth.

All that to say OP, might want to give the new Remington another look.

Reactions: FuhQ
Leaning towards Tikka CTR… now to search and price…

This post may have been a bad idea… haven’t even got around to looking at glass yet. Haha

Leaning towards Tikka CTR… now to search and price…

This post may have been a bad idea… haven’t even got around to looking at glass yet. Haha
For me the Tikka ctr has a double stack mag. More similar to what my AI runs vs AICS mags. Excellent mags

Tikka also will come with one of the best factory triggers.

The bolt throw also makes the system so smooth compared to others I’ve owned. Which include several R700 platforms like factory, stiller and GA precision. A howa 1500 and the Ruger ranch

I plan to put a sterk handle on mine which will make it even closer to my AI bolts

Guess I should change the title… doesn’t appear to be a cheap setup. Lol

Kinda set on a 20” tikka ctr One on GB for pretty stew money- so any leads on an affordable option, I’m all ears!

... Unless you find a Tikka UPR at a good price. They tend to cost a little more than CTR but the stock is better, in my opinion and some others'.

(I was "this close" to buying a UPR, until I found a second hand rifle that I fell in love with)

I agree the Tikka offers a very nice base rifle, but you seem to hit a wall with aftermarket options unless your looking at a KRG (nothing wrong with that tho). There's just so much based on the Rem 700 to offer anything you want. I've had all these rifles and lately gravitated back to Remington because of the newest offering. The BDL 243 that I just bought is like a whole other animal. The action is just as smooth as a Tikka or Bergara, excellent bluing and the walnut stock...oh man. This 243 also has an updated 8 twist, which is another reason I picked it up. I have a load thats about a 1/2 and under.
What stock/chassis did you want that wasn't available for Tikka?

Rem700 foot print is by far the most common but Tikka really isn't that far behind. KRG, MDT, Manners, McMillian, MPA, XLR, etc all do Tikka inlets, even the AICS AT-X chassis is now available for Tikka.

Guess I should change the title… doesn’t appear to be a cheap setup. Lol

Kinda set on a 20” tikka ctr One on GB for pretty stew money- so any leads on an affordable option, I’m all ears!

Brand new standard prices aren't bad at all, usually close to the $1k mark.
Here are some examples:

Savage 223 action with AccuTrigger - preferably top bolt release but bottom bolt release ok. Your choice of prefit (barrel nut) barrels - I suggest 7 twist 26 inch threaded 5/8x24. Brake or suppressor. Oryx chassis. Built 2 - one for me and one for my shooting partner. Many thousands of 80 SMKs and 75 ELDMs down range over TAC loaded on Dillon 550. Is it as smooth as "insert brand name action here" - no. Does it work, hit targets, slay prairie dogs - yes. It is cheap - yes. Does it go to the range more than my custom Dasher - yes.

Attachments

• IMG_2060.JPG
    IMG_2060.JPG
    928 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: 12Bravo20

Rem700 foot print is by far the most common but Tikka really isn't that far behind. KRG, MDT, Manners, McMillian, MPA, XLR, etc all do Tikka inlets, even the AICS AT-X chassis is now available for Tikka.
Can you post a link to the AT-X chassis with a Tikka inlet?

No your right, they are offered on all the major manufacturers. I guess my point is they are much harder to find in stock or used. That was a few years ago when I had mine. I just remember getting frustrated with the lack of used or in stock options.

Savage 223 action with AccuTrigger - preferably top bolt release but bottom bolt release ok. Your choice of prefit (barrel nut) barrels - I suggest 7 twist 26 inch threaded 5/8x24. Brake or suppressor. Oryx chassis. Built 2 - one for me and one for my shooting partner. Many thousands of 80 SMKs and 75 ELDMs down range over TAC loaded on Dillon 550. Is it as smooth as "insert brand name action here" - no. Does it work, hit targets, slay prairie dogs - yes. It is cheap - yes. Does it go to the range more than my custom Dasher - yes.

If you're not on a timer for points, Savage's a great way to do a relatively inexpensive accurate rifle.
KRG is even doing Bravo Chassis for the Savages now.
The really bad thing is that you won't get money back out of any cool stuff you do to a Savage.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Canadian Market versions are discussed at 1 min mark here...but not yet for sale AFAIK.

That's kinda what I figured, as I'd have hopped on one in a heartbeat if they were already for sale...