• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me build a decent 308 out of a 700 VS 22-250

chawk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
I would really appreciate suggestions on how to go about building a good shooting 308 on a budget.

I will be using my rem 700 VS 22-250 to build from. It has an HS Precision stock which i bedded many years ago with steel bed i believe it was.

Suggestions on how you would go about turning it in to a 20"-22" barreled 308 on a budget would be greatly appreciated. Should i just send it away and have a barrel manufacturer re-barrel it? Which barrel manufacturer would you recommend that isn't running 6 months behind? Should i buy a barrel and send it to a gunsmith? Can the HS stock be used again since it was already bedded( can i remove some material and bed again)?

I'm new so any input would be appreicated.

Thanks a lot.
Chris

Re: Help me build a decent 308 out of a 700 VS 22-250

Need a little more info on your profile : )

It's a very open ended question with a ton of options. Its like building a race car - each part has to be done right for the next to work to its peak performace. And you can spend till your wallet bleeds : )

Yes you can rebed it. A barrel job can be done by a gunsmith and a good suggestion is while the smith has it, have him evaluate it and see if he can polish it up in some areas to make it run better. Some examples would be lapping the lugs, truing up the reciever, better rcoil lug and so on. Often it's only a couple dollars more and can make a world of diferance if done right.

JamieD

Thanks Jamie.

I was considering sending the gun off to Krieger or Hart or maybe another manufacturer. I know they make good barrels, but how is their in house gunsmithing? They have options to do the things you suggested to the action. Is it generally better to send the parts to a gunsmith (other then the barrel manufacturers) and have them put the gun together?

I apologize for the rookie questions. I have a number of rifles, but i've never had one that wasn't straight off the shelf.

Chris

I just got mine back from RW Snyder, a sponser here, which ran about 590. That included a Krieger barrel, custom chambering, new oversized lug, trued action/bolt, skim bedding stock, and whatever else needed to get it together. That also included shipping in a new gun case back to me. The work is top notch and Robert is a great guy to work with. It did take about 5 months, most of it waiting on the barrel.

I would say you are better off sending it to a smith. You can order the barrel yourself or discuss it with the smith first and let him order it. He will be able to guide you through the options of Diff barrel contours and such.

Good luck and post some pics when you get her done.

Randy @ R+D Precision is pretty squared away as well although I don't know if he is taking anymore work right now.

JamieD

"build" a nice .308 by buying a Savage 10FP and putting a scope on it.
wink.gif

Keep your other rifle as-is, you'll spend the same amount of money but without a wait and the the Savage will be sub MOA accurate right out of the box.

That's my opinion and worth as much as you paid for it
smile.gif

If the barrel on the 250 is still good. I would leave it alone. I like the Remmington XCR model. It has a easy to adjust trigger that anyone can adjust. Out the box they shoot good. They come in a 20" or 26" barrel. If you want the tactical bolt knob put on. Badger Ordnance with put it on for $68 bucks including shipping in that price. Then start shooting.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

I have pretty much made up my mind that i want to modify this gun to 308 although i have definitely considered keeping it a 22-250 and buying a new gun in 308.

I am going to call krieger, shilen, lilja and hart tomorrow and see how long it would take to get a rem varmint contour barrel in stainless. (is putting a stainless barrel on a non-stainless action a bad idea for any reason?)

Once i have a barrel i will start calling around to gunsmiths. Is there a list somewhere of the site sponsors?

One other random question... how expensive is it to replace the j-lock on the bolt with a non j-lock bolt? This is the only 700 i have that has that stupid lock and i would like to get rid of it.

Thanks
Chris

I did it before and rebarreled the shot-out .22-250 bbl. of my Ruger 77 Mk II VT with a .308 Lothar Walther SS Match bbl. I never regretted it as the rifle now shoots 5 in < .25 MOA.
Ruger.jpg

Groupements307.jpg

Well, It's been a while but i ended up sending the rifle to AJ Brown. He trued everything, put a 20" Shilen barrel on it, bedded it and applied a new finish to the barrel and action.

I'm ashamed to say i've had this rifle back since June 09 and haven't hardly shot it yet. I put enough rounds through it to sight it in and then life got in the way. New baby born, work, etc. and the little bit of free time i did have I went hunting. I plan to put a lot of rounds downrange in the next few weeks, and see what it will do (or more accurately how well i can shoot).

AJ was great to deal with and i definitely plan on using him again when i need a gunsmith.

Thanks again to everyone that gave me input when i originally posted this thread.

C

Here's a pic. Doesn't look fancy but if it shoots like i think it will i'll be real happy.

308.jpg

Looks like a solid foundation.Nice stick!Good luck and be sure and bring back a range report.BTW,it sure looks warm there in MD.,We're still waiting on spring(grin).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kmclean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a solid foundation.Nice stick!Good luck and be sure and bring back a range report.BTW,it sure looks warm there in MD.,We're still waiting on spring(grin). </div></div>

Thanks. I will post back when i get some results.

And the pic is actually the one AJ took and sent me prior to shipping the gun, so i guess that's IN in June. Unfortunately we've got snow on the ground over here now and more expected this weekend.

you already have the platform. if you want to go .308 the bolt face for your 22.250 will be fine. all you need to know now is what your intentions are. if shooting long range then how far? are you going to 1000? then what bullet. after you decide ask any smith here to set you up with barrel and reamer for your needs and bullet. a good barrel is 400 and chamber another 150 they will want your action for head-spacing..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arborpro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you already have the platform. if you want to go .308 the bolt face for your 22.250 will be fine. all you need to know now is what your intentions are. if shooting long range then how far? are you going to 1000? then what bullet. after you decide ask any smith here to set you up with barrel and reamer for your needs and bullet. a good barrel is 400 and chamber another 150 they will want your action for head-spacing.. </div></div>Excuse Me arborpro,but you are a few months behind.Read along with the rest of us.I'm not picking,but you have to admit,you asked for it...

Got a chance to shoot the rifle some today. I started out with some Black Hills Gold 168 AMax. I wasn't real impressed. 5 shot groups at 100yards were in the 1 1/4" range pretty consistently. I then tried some FGMM 175gr which shot a good bit better. I'm pretty sure i'm the limiting factor with this combination.
IMG_1992.jpg

First group with FGMM 175gr, 5 shots in about 0.81"

IMG_1991.jpg

Second group - 5 shots in about 0.75"

IMG_1990.jpg

Third group. Hate to admit it but this is the first time my friend shot the rifle. 5 shots in about 0.45"

Time to buy a bunch of ammo and practice, practice, practice.