• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me build an AWESOME work bench

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I would like to build a wood top work bench that goes next to my metal one I built for my presses.

I would like:

-Maple top/hard wood
-adjustable legs, semi telescoping with screw feet for leveling (can't find any screw feet so I might just make them)
- probably put in a small expanded metal shelf

I would like to hear some accessories you guys have, for one I saw someone have a grove system where they were able to mount clamps on the grove to hold things like mini lathe/ runout meters, what is that?

I would also like to see some set up you guys have, my main concern is being able to make it absolutely level for my prometheus 2 scale.

Thanks!

I used Unistrut in construction of my bench since I have lots of it laying around. Welded it all together and it's one solid frame. You could use tube steel also. Used a laser level and it's within a 1/16" one end to the other. Should be ok for your scale. I used 1-1/8" tongue and groove ply with 1/2" sanded plywood on top to give it a nicer finish. It's very strong top. I left open bays under the top so I can put roller cabinets under it for storage. Here are a few pics.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

nice bench! I think ill probably go roller cabnits as well. What do you think of the Incra track system?

The Incra tracks work well and use them in my woodworking shop for my router table and drill press. Woodworkers Supply is a good source for bench hardware such as levelers and would see what Highland Hardware has to offer as well. In lieu of maple you may want to consider beech as table top material since it is more dimensionally stable than maple. We have built several large woodworking benches with it and makes for a great surface.

I've had several students make benches and found these tops from Grizzly to be very good for the price. Sizes and thicknesses to fit just about any size bench.
Grizzly.com

Just bought this along with the Power strip that goes on top of the bench, I have not set it up yet because I am still creating room for it but I think it will be exactly what your looking for, it is adjustable vertically and the feet have the screws to make your small adjustments for level. You can add cabinets that fit under the bench very nice and the table is real heavy 125# I think.

Sears.com

Good luck with your build

mxpilot

Thanks for the help guys, the maple top gets here tomorrow and I have all the wood and screws, I'll post some pictures when it's done!