• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me buy a TRG 42 338 LM...

precisionshutr

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2008
LA, CA
Guys,

I just posted another thread about purchasing a TRG 338 vs a custom job. I was told (in many ways)TRG is a great way to go.

The reason for this post is, I stumbled across a local shop who has a used TRG 42 in a 338LM. My question is what do you look for when purchsing a used bolt gun? Not looking for any "guarentees" or "look for x y z and 100% it will be a great gun". Just some ideas on what to look for to find out if the gun has been abused and possibly, if it's going to a straight shooter?

Re: Help me buy a TRG 42 338 LM...

With all the great builders out there, that is a tough one.

If I could do it over again, I would have bought the TRG42 1st. With that said, it may be the only .338LM I would own. All around great hardware. Biggest downside is replacement parts if needed. (mine hasn't failed yet). The next downside is mags, muzzle brake, and bipod. All expensive as heck.

I love the TRG because it is a lightweight rig that doesn't have massive recoil. It is not a total joy to carry hunting, but is much more comfortable than my other two custom .338LM's.

I would buy it in a heartbeat. Save the custom builds for smaller calibers.

The one I'm looking at is in black with Sako Muzzle brake,Sako base & rings, and a brand name bipod (not the Sako bipod) topped with a Leupold Mark IV 8.5-25 with MD reticle for $4200...

I really wanted the newer TRGs with the 1 in 10 twist, but I'm strongly considering this one as it's there ready to go with all the options (minus the Sako Bipod which I'll add later.

It seems to me that if what you really want is one of the newer TRGs and you're willing to walk past the option of a custom rifle, you shouldn't settle, but instead focus on what you want and go that route.

Not that a TRG in any flavor is really settling...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MichaelR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to me that if what you really want is one of the newer TRGs and you're willing to walk past the option of a custom rifle, you shouldn't settle, but instead focus on what you want and go that route.

Not that a TRG in any flavor is really settling... </div></div>

That's exactly what i thought, no compromising as I researched and drooled over the different options. Once seeing the finished product with a cheaper price, it looks awfully tempting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took delivery of my new trg42 ,1/10 twist. bought it off Gunbroker w/a anightforce scope for 5k. Don't settle,there are deals out there. </div></div>

That's a deal, did it include anything else, brake, sako rings/base, bipod?