• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a 22lr

pitdog85

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Gday need some help from the rimfire experts, looking for a quality 22lr to be shooting from prone 99% of the time. Will be used for recreational shooting at targets on the farm as well as pests.

Looking at the begara 14r and the Sako quad synthetic heavy barrel. Both of these rifles are the same price roughly. The Begara looks to come with the Better stock? I’d imagine the sako should be smoother and possibly more accurate?

Is the synthetic stock that comes with the sako quad better quality then the Tupperware plastic that comes with tikka t1x ?

I will be using an atlas bipod on the front at all times and rear squeeze bag.

Anshutcz are a little out of my price range unless I get a used one which I’m not too keen on as it’s a lottery buying used unseen which is the case here in Australia.

Thanks for any help

Pitdog

Bergara are compatible with most rem700 gear. So trigger, pic rails, stocks, etc. That's a bonus.

Tikka t1x are a very short throw, decent mags, and great factory trigger. Not a direct drop into a T3x stock unfortunately and the pic rail is also slightly different (unless they updates that ?)

Anschutz are great, have outstanding triggers (for factory guns) and shoot great. Mags are great, but cost more than usual. No real after market kit at all for them. Basically what you buy is what you will run forever.

+1 Bergara.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
Iv got a sako quad heavy barrel that shoots lights out. Can’t speak for bergara Iv never shot one.

If you're gonna get a sako, for the higher quality, I'd get an older one. Of the current generation, the t1x isn't at much disadvantage.

For the Bergara, if you take advantage of the r700 aftermarket with you're begara, after the fact, the reality is on top of a $1k rifle, you are gonna be spending a ton. And if you are spending a ton I would buy once cry once and get it over with a vudoo.

At $1k mark out of the gate, however, I would personally take a look at the t1x UPR.

They don't import that to the US, but maybe they import it to Oz. You get a simialr package to the Bergara, with upgrade or cross compatable to tikka t3x centrefire actions. I think thats more beneficial that what the quad offers in terms of upgrade path.

Buy a Bergara barreled action think they are $550-600. Then pick your chassis and trigger.
This right here^^^^^
My Bergara shoots right beside my Rim X to 400 yards. I am sure reamers play here, but the Bergara was far less finicky on ammo and I could have just picked from 7-8 types. It shoots CCI SV great to 300, if the wind comes up, a simple switch to SK Standard Plus and I can still play.
I bought the full rifle, carbon, but wish I had waited for a BA, I never did fire the rifle with the original trigger, which sucked. And restocking it now will just be an added burden.

Reactions: M77
Bergara are compatible with most rem700 gear. So trigger, pic rails, stocks, etc. That's a bonus.

Tikka t1x are a very short throw, decent mags, and great factory trigger. Not a direct drop into a T3x stock unfortunately and the pic rail is also slightly different (unless they updates that ?)

Anschutz are great, have outstanding triggers (for factory guns) and shoot great. Mags are great, but cost more than usual. No real after market kit at all for them. Basically what you buy is what you will run forever.

+1 Bergara.

Pretty much why I went with a Bergara. Correct price/performance ratio, good upgradeability.

Reactions: iceng

• Haha
Reactions: chevy_man
I have a Bergara B14R. Love it but there is definite room for refinement which is why I just ordered a RimX. I will keep my Bergara to shoot as well because it’s a very nice 22. Fits well in the MOA chassis, feeds fairly reliably (2 or 3 misfeeds out of a 100), and is very accurate (sub MOA with SK rifle Match at 50 yards). My bolt feels a little clunky and it does have a harder bolt close. I ended up getting a RimX for a little more refinement and the ability to switch my barrels when I feel like it. I think if you get a Bergara, you will enjoy it very much. I would buy it again.

Buy once, cry once.
Get a Sako Quad Range or an Anschutz 1761 MSR. These are multi caliber rim fire quick barrel change rifles. My personal presence goes to the Sako quad range.
We are talking about accuracy 1” at 100 yards with proper ammo in every caliber.

FAEAA11B-0DB0-45C6-86AC-8E4346F67646.png
54BFE5A7-A3FC-4F0E-89A3-B59F8FFAB797.jpeg

Reactions: JKW70
Thanks for all the feedback guys lots to think about. Seems begara is more popular here. I can get a barreled action for the begara however I’m not much of a tinkerer or gun smith not sure if I would be able to install a trigger myself? Is this a difficult job to do safely

the sako quad range and anschutz 1761 are an extra $500 on top of the sako quad synthetic and begara which is out of my price range.

the tikka t1x is certainly an option but I though the begara and certainly the sako would be finished a bit nicer and of higher quality than the tikka ??

thanks

Thanks for all the feedback guys lots to think about. Seems begara is more popular here. I can get a barreled action for the begara however I’m not much of a tinkerer or gun smith not sure if I would be able to install a trigger myself? Is this a difficult job to do safely

the sako quad range and anschutz 1761 are an extra $500 on top of the sako quad synthetic and begara which is out of my price range.

the tikka t1x is certainly an option but I though the begara and certainly the sako would be finished a bit nicer and of higher quality than the tikka ??

thanks
Installing a trigger tech is as easy as pushing out two pins, removing trigger pack, put trigger pack in and then reinstall the two push pins. Easy peasy. I got the trigger tech special and I got mine down to 1 lb which is plenty light for precision shooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bgriff008
Installing a trigger tech is as easy and pushing out two pins, removing trigger pack, put trigger pack in and then reinstall the two push pins. Easy peasy. I got the trigger tech special and I got mine down to 1 lb which is plenty light for precision shooting.
What he said. Trigger install is pretty easy. The confusing part was understanding the adjust screws on my BnA (Bix N Andy) trigger. But that was more being new to the game and lacking in the terminology of the instructions. But eventually you figure it out and get what is being said.
Oh. I have a Bergara B14 and love it. I feel for comps it’s just as accurate as the Rimx and Vudoo. Really comes down to speed and stabilizing the scope on target. I’ll agree the bolt is a bit clunkier. Still smooth but takes a bit more force to open and close the bolt.

Reactions: Doctorwho1138
If you consider Anschutz, you might want to check the price of extra magazines. You'd think they were made of some precious metal.

And yes, Vudoo aluminum mags, made from billet aluminum, are just as expensive... at least the 10-round polymer ones are an option at well under half the cost of the 10-round Anschutz mags.

thanks
If you decide to get a Bergara, you might want to buy a complete rifle instead of a BA. No fussing with mag height issues.

For a gun that's doing just general recreational target work, hunting etc. I'd probably get a T1x and put it in a bravo/oryx chassis and be done with it. I'm a big fan of the 60 deg bolt throw. There's really no need for Anschutz/vudoo precision for that use, the T1x/cz457/bergara all tend to shoot very well. That said if you just want to drop the extra $ to get the best, that's usually never a bad option except financially :)

Do you have a 1761 MSR? I'm curious what kind of groups you're shooting.

I have the MPR which is basically the same rifle, just a different stock. Mine shoots pretty well. If you want to see groups, here are some 50m prone competition cards which are fairly representative and typical of how I shoot. 10 ring is 10.4mm, SK Rifle Match ammo, bipod & rear bag. (Bare in mind the nut behind the bolt is likely the cause of the poor shots!)

IMG_20200926_135708.jpg

FSPR50 Card 1.jpg

FSPR50 Card 2.jpg

I compared some Center-X and R50 at 100m, 20 shot groups, 10 ring is ~33mm.
Center-X 20 shots 100m.jpg

R50 20 shots 100m.jpg

I went the Bergara barreled-action route and spent A LOT on high-end parts just in case I wanted to swap to a RimX or Vudoo later on. If I didn't want to tinker around or mess with a lot of aftermarket, I would go T1x UPR (if the US ever gets any) with a Yodave trigger spring or an Area 419 CZ457 MTR-Fully Loaded.

Reactions: ma smith
I like my Bergara 14R. Stock is decent, was going to change it and then decided it wasn't worth it.
Same. Chassis are just so expensive. Just wish the Bergara chassis had an Mlok on the side so I can mount a thumb rest. I need it or something like it, to help stabilize the stock/barrel when gripping it and a bag. Not a big fan of my hand on top of the scope. I plan on drilling a hole and mounting the thumb rest.

I have both a Tikka T1X & a Bergara B14........both shoot equally well. The B14 had a cold bore flier issue until I had it cryo'd. Plan on trigger work on both. Tikka trigger spring change out $10. A couple of Tikka T3 parts added to the stock & that's all you really need. Aftermarket trigger for the 700 Remington platform B14 $200 & up. The stock trigger on the B14 is good just heavy.

Thanks guys I had kinda forgotten/disregarded Lithgow arms. Going to get a LA101 in laminate stock just like the one on the video posted.

one question I already have an atlas bipod on my centerfire. I think the LA101 comes with one swivel stud on the front. Does anyone make a rail for use with a single swivel stud without having to drill into the stock ? I have a rail on my centrefire but that stock has 2 swivel studs up the front. I’m not to keen on drilling into brand new stock? Any ideas.

Does anyone make a rail for use with a single swivel stud without having to drill into the stock?
It looks like there are a few Chinese-made options on Amazon. I would be less concerned drilling a second hole for a good option than I would be loading up on a strong bipod like an Atlas attached by a cheap, single anchor point.

My 10/22 Competition fore end got a table saw flat cut to mount my ARCA rail before it hit the range.
Curious about what you cut off, or more particularly what you cut it off of. Did you just cut off an end, or something longitudinally? I've got a 10/22 Archangel Precision stock and am thinking about how/whether to remove the pic rail so I can install an ARCA rail. Installing the ARCA on top of the pic isn't as stable as I'd like! Though about the table saw for the chore but I'm not sure how to keep everything "straight" for the push through the saw . . .

Curious about what you cut off, or more particularly what you cut it off of. Did you just cut off an end, or something longitudinally? I've got a 10/22 Archangel Precision stock and am thinking about how/whether to remove the pic rail so I can install an ARCA rail. Installing the ARCA on top of the pic isn't as stable as I'd like! Though about the table saw for the chore but I'm not sure how to keep everything "straight" for the push through the saw . . .
I put the stock on it’s side and cut a flat on the bottom of the forend. It doesn’t need to be flat front to back though. I did not take the time to make sure the stock was flat by wedges or bracing, so the cut is not quite 90*, but I use a Cypod so side to side adjusts. I figured once I’m cutting up a new stock, it’s value is gone anyway. The handiness of going to all ARCA rails for bipods and tripods is great. Considering the volume of ammo I go through, the cost of a stock or 10/22 chassis is not huge.

I put the stock on it’s side and cut a flat on the bottom of the forend. It doesn’t need to be flat front to back though. I did not take the time to make sure the stock was flat by wedges or bracing, so the cut is not quite 90*, but I use a Cypod so side to side adjusts. I figured once I’m cutting up a new stock, it’s value is gone anyway. The handiness of going to all ARCA rails for bipods and tripods is great. Considering the volume of ammo I go through, the cost of a stock or 10/22 chassis is not huge.

Looks like I did the same then. Did the job by hand - hacksaw blade and a file. Any "mess" or scratches on the stock get covered by the ARCA rail. My view is that modifying the stock to accept an ARCA rail probably enhances the value! Already seems more stable with an ARCA bipod mount than the original sling-swivel mount type. And by extending the ARCA beyond the end of the stock I get the equivalent of a spigot mount.

Reactions: Emerson0311