• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Help me choose a caliber for varmint / predator hunting

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey guys,
I´m looking for a change barrel for predator hunting, absolute max. distance 300yds.

My system (Strasser RS 14 Evolution) allows me to change barrels.
There are actually 26 calibers to choose from:

But I want a flat shooting caliber for fox, coyote crows, etc. so I guess those are the most suitable, YMMV:
22-250 Rem.,
.243 Win.,
6 XC

I´m a reloader, so bullet costs are not a matter.

Which one would you choose and why?

If you save the pelts bullet choice with that line up would be critical.
If your not married to that bolt face the 204 ruger is a good choice and pelt damage can minimized much better than the three you listed.

Well, the 204 Ruger is not listed as a change barrel for the Strasser RS 14.

Reactions: XLR308
of the ones listed I would go with the 22-250

You can always choose from the large selection of STRASSER interchangeable barrels.​

Mini calibre (MIN): .222 Rem., .223 Rem., .300 AAC Blackout*)

Standard calibre (STA): .22-250 Rem.1), .243 Win., 6 XC, 6,5 Creedmoor, 6,5x55 SE, 6,5x 65 RWS, 6,5-284 Norma1), 7 mm-08 Rem., 7x64, .270 Win., .308 Win., .30-06, 8x57 IS, 8,5x63, 9,3x57, 9,3x62

See the above. I watched his channel a lot and he tried different calibers. But he seemed to do a lot with .22-250. Nothing that you could call recoil and so you could see the trace.

Kyle, the Social Regressive, built a 6 mm ARC as a general use varmint rifle that could take a deer if you aim right.

I would think, however, for the most general cartridge with a wide number of loadings offered, it would .243 Win. You can hunt deer on down to woodchucks. You could hunt feral hog, though I have seen people around here, including myself, hunt feral hog with my Windham Weaponry Dissipator M4 A3 in 5.56 NATO (.223 Rem) with 55 grain, but you can shoot heavier. Where I hunt, the longest shot would be about 225 yards. Shortest would be 50 yards.

So, a toss-up between .22-250 and .243, depending on overall usage. If you want to save chucks or squirrels for meat, use the .22-250 and go for head shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 37L1 and Jayjay1
I also have to vote 22-250 from the provided options. If available, go with a faster twist. I have 4 with the twists from 1:14 to 1:12 which really limits me on bullet weights.
It is still a great cartridge and is consistently 1/2 MOA with a cross the board load.

Its an interesting design, kind of reminds me of the Blaser R8.
Got some serious high end options as well with some of the grades of walnut and engraving.

There you go!

The Strasser RS 14 is Horst Blaser´s "last throw".

After leaving, or selling, Blaser Hunting Weapons, he still developed stuff.
After the Blaser R93 he developed the Strasser RS 05 and finally the RS 14.
Both Strassers are more or less upgrades from the R93.

The craftmanship and quality of the Strassers is way above and beyond of the Blasers.
Look forward to handle one, it is almost to good to be used.

Reactions: XLR308
The reply’s containing 22-250 remarks are spot on. The cartridge is very user friendly and very nasty on coyotes and other varmints. It is easy to load for and over the counter ammo will get the job done. I along with a lot of coyote hunters have shot this caliber for over 37 years, yes, I have tried the .223 and 204, etc. but always went back to the 22-250. Just my 2cents worth, your mileage may vary… Charlie112

22-250 is hard to beat. I've had a couple of them and probably killed more deer and hogs with that cartridge than any other cartridge that I shoot.

That said, after I burned out my last 22-250 I picked up a 243win and shortly after I got it I AI'd it. Sending 55gr pills over 4k is pretty fun lol. I'm shooting 55's faster than I could shoot 40gr pills from the 250.

Every time I see my 22-250 dies on the shelf though I get the itch to order another barrel. Maybe after I smoke the 243.

Reactions: 37L1
How many rounds will approx. go through a 22-250 with hot loads before the barrel ist done?

And will the 243 go longer?

Reactions: acudaowner
How many rounds will approx. go through a 22-250 with hot loads before the barrel ist done?

Both will run hot, but if you use it primarily for hunting, it will last a long time. Develop your load with a good bullet, go hunting.

It's not like you are going to shoot lots of rounds in a hurry in a match. I've had my Tikka 22-250 for 10 years and that barrel will probably out last me.

I smoked my first 22-250 in about 4-5 years, mostly just hunting with it. If I was target shooting it was just load development or zeroing a new ammo. Mostly shot 55gr Sierra gamekings or factory 55gr core-lokt. I did shoot some of the 40gr hornady factory ammo but that was pretty limited because it was my primary hunting rifle.

It was always a killer and then one day it just wouldn't stay under an inch. And that was strange because a bad day with that gun was ½" at 100. Upon further inspection after a good cleaning (rarely cleaned it) I discovered it was toast. Freebore was probably in the 6" range lol.

After that gun was gone I found three gallon ziploc bags of brass. Some of which had been loaded 3-4 times. Never did know the full round count on that gun. That was before I was really into this stuff. Got that gun when I was 14 and carried it everywhere with me. I did ranch work for a guy locally that had 900 acres during the summers so there was always plenty of hogs to shoot in hay meadows and critters he didn't want around his cows.

I'm curious how long this 243 I have now will last. Currently shooting (fire forming) 85gr bthp gamekings at 3400fps and it was shooting the 55gr noslers at 4100 before the ai chamber. I'm hoping to hit 4200 with the fire formed cases. I don't think it'll take long to smoke it like that. But I really don't get to shoot like I did when I was a kid. Sooner the better. I want a fast twist 6mm next.

I smoked my first 22-250 in about 4-5 years, mostly just hunting with it. If I was target shooting it was just load development or zeroing a new ammo. Mostly shot 55gr Sierra gamekings or factory 55gr core-lokt. I did shoot some of the 40gr hornady factory ammo but that was pretty limited because it was my primary hunting rifle.

It was always a killer and then one day it just wouldn't stay under an inch. And that was strange because a bad day with that gun was ½" at 100. Upon further inspection after a good cleaning (rarely cleaned it) I discovered it was toast. Freebore was probably in the 6" range lol.

After that gun was gone I found three gallon ziploc bags of brass. Some of which had been loaded 3-4 times. Never did know the full round count on that gun. That was before I was really into this stuff. Got that gun when I was 14 and carried it everywhere with me. I did ranch work for a guy locally that had 900 acres during the summers so there was always plenty of hogs to shoot in hay meadows and critters he didn't want around his cows.

I'm curious how long this 243 I have now will last. Currently shooting (fire forming) 85gr bthp gamekings at 3400fps and it was shooting the 55gr noslers at 4100 before the ai chamber. I'm hoping to hit 4200 with the fire formed cases. I don't think it'll take long to smoke it like that. But I really don't get to shoot like I did when I was a kid. Sooner the better. I want a fast twist 6mm next.
Maybe I missed this, but you are NOT SAVING HIDES?? Just curious..

That seems like a lot of fps,,, not a professional shooter,,, but in my experience, speed doesn’t always equal accuracy…. or more killing power… 🤔

That seems like a lot of fps,,, not a professional shooter,,, but in my experience, speed doesn’t always equal accuracy…. or more killing power… 🤔
No but it equals one heck of a flat trajectory. The 85's @3400 are shooting a half minute while fireforming.
Resized_20230203_144719_371784646541506.jpeg

Something I read or watched recently. You can extend the life of a barrel. The lands and grooves are not what gets damaged or "burned out." What happens throat erosion. So, start out with a 26 in or even a 30 in barrel, lop off the back part and re-chamber it. Granted, MV will be slightly slower but you can keep the accuracy you got with that copper coating.

Again, I am the stupidest person here but I think that idea bears mentioning and maybe trying. At least for varmints. Maybe so pro competition shooters don't want to do that. But I could not see the need to spend 1500 (new barrel, gunsmith, break-in ammo) if the rest of the rifle is still good.

I moseyed over to Strasser’s website and saw the Strasser RS 700. A straight-pull that’s designed with the Rem 700 footprint and Remage-style barrel nut. Plus it works with Rem 700 stocks and triggers! AICS mags. Pretty cool. Expensive.

Go .204 even if it’s not standard. If your rifle will not accept it get another rifle. I shoot under conditions you describe daily year around.

Though initially skeptical the .204 changed my entire system. Inside 300 yards you have a laser. Much lower noise factor. Bullet that kills varmints up to 250#, highest safety factor as it destructs itself in contact.

Inside 400 yards go with the 32 grain bullet even though the 39 and 40’s look better on paper. In practice the 32 grain bullet simply works better. Not sure why.

The 20 Tactical is nearly identical if that makes more sense to you.

I was a lifelong 22/250 fan since the 1960’s when it was still a wildcat called .22 Varminter.
The .204 has sidelined my 22/250’s which have not been fired in years.

Last edited:
I love the .204 round for prairie dogs. Seeing the hits is the whole point. I like the 40g Hornady vmax because it’s better in the wind, and it’s always very windy in the PD fields.

.204 also doesn’t smoke barrels like the 22-250 does. Takes a longer to heat up barrels.

The thing with the 40gr is it’s on the edge as far as typical factory barrel twists go. I have read that 1:10 or 1:11 is much better for the 40gr then the typical 1:12.

Last edited:
Now I'm curious.
I started a thread to see if anyone has one or has played with it.

I love the .204 round for prairie dogs. Seeing the hits is the whole point. I like the 40g Hornady vmax because it’s better in the wind, and it’s always very windy in the PD fields.

.204 also doesn’t smoke barrels like the 22-250 does. Takes a longer to heat up barrels.

The thing with the 40gr is it’s on the edge as far as typical factory barrel twists go. I have read that 1:10 or 1:11 is much better for the 40gr then the typical 1:12.
This may be the reason I see less accuracy with the heavier bullets.
In practice I see less drift with the 32 grain bullet inside 300 yards. Difference in speed is greater than difference in BC.

Another thought as above. The 22/250 loaded to top is a 1000 -1200 rd cartridge.
The .204 shows little sign of erosion at 2000 plus.

Reactions: carbonbased
I started a thread to see if anyone has one or has played with it.

High dollar for sure. They look sweet though.

Reactions: carbonbased
This may be the reason I see less accuracy with the heavier bullets.
In practice I see less drift with the 32 grain bullet inside 300 yards. Difference in speed is greater than difference in BC.
I guess I haven’t shot them side by side in the same conditions. Just running them through Strelok gives me this for factory 32gr and 40gr Hornady ammo, 15mph full value wind from left. 300yd zero (gasp!). Edit: I have spin drift enabled, which affects little bullets more than big ones, I guess. That’s why the 300yd vertical correction isn’t zero.

E93C3296-1DF9-4CA9-900A-0A5E86DA649A.jpeg

2D936619-3BC5-47AF-8EC4-2B7981F241D4.jpeg

For wind, at 300 the two rounds are separated by 0.3mil (jumping from 0.1mil diff).

Intrigued, I re-ran the numbers and reduced the step distance from 100yds to 25yds. They were separated by 0.1mil until between 225-275yds where it jumped to 0.2mil. I’d post that as well but I’ve already derailed this discussion enough! I can PM whomever is interested.

I tend to shoot my 204 when going over 300yds, as my 17 Hornet usually fills the 0-300 role well (unless it’s really, really windy) and is even more fun to shoot.

I have noticed that the 32gr is a little more accurate at 100yds out of my factory 1:12 barrels, but I would need to do more testing to confidently say that. I sorta want my main 204 barrel to burn up so I can get a Bartlein 1:11 or similar.

Anyway, not arguing, just sharing what I have. Let me know what you think. Not saying you are wrong, as ballistic calculators have their foibles.

On another note: Am I right to have noticed that continental Europeans don’t shoot the 204 much? I know the Brits do as I hang out on a Brit hunting forum.

Last edited: