• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a cartridge for a long action build.

Surfingsk8r

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I'm dreaming up a new rifle build and I want it to be a long action because i don't currently have any long action rifles. That said I'm having a tough time deciding on the cartridge I want to build around. So I'm fishing for some suggestions based on the following criteria

Needs to be something I can readily buy match grade ammunition for. I do reload but having the option to grab shelf ammo when I have not had time to reload is important to me as sometimes I just want to go shoot.

Would like it to be less than 5 dollars a round in a factory offering

Max distance I will see is a mile and that is probably only a once a year trip. Regular use is gonna be 5 to 7 hundred yards with a few trips to a spot that I can shoot at 1000

To sum things up this is really just another rifle to add to the collection that I can have a good time with which would be different from what I currently have.

I was leaning towards the 300WM actually but was really wanting to make sure I didn't miss out on some other options from lack of knowledge.

300PRC or 300 Norma are both excellent choices depending on what you want to do with it.

Skip 300WM altogether.

For the distances you've mentioned, 300PRC would be great.

Though honestly... 6.5CM would fulfill your actual needs pretty well unless you're hunting.

After looking into the 300 PRC a bit more it does seem a bit interesting and would be a fun build.

Pineoak I have a 6.5cm already and just wanted a long action to have for the purposes of having. I get enjoyment from shooting different things.

I definitely appreciate the responses.

Not to hijack the tread, but if I wanted to keep the .473" bolt face, figuring a 20" to 22" long Barrel in a light palma contour, what chambering is the consensus for a long action ?

If you're starting from scratch, I'd go 300 Norma. Great brass is here and excellent brass is on the way . The thing that turns me off on the 300 PRC is the Hornady brass, other manufacturers may step up but it's a big unknown.

Reactions: Surfingsk8r
Not to hijack the tread, but if I wanted to keep the .473" bolt face, figuring a 20" to 22" long Barrel in a light palma contour, what chambering is the consensus for a long action ?

I’d probably go 6.5x55, 7x57, 7x64, or 280 Remington.

If you're starting from scratch, I'd go 300 Norma. Great brass is here and excellent brass is on the way . The thing that turns me off on the 300 PRC is the Hornady brass, other manufacturers may step up but it's a big unknown.

RCC does 300 PRC (but at ~$6/ea), and it’s not unreasonable to fireform from 8x68 brass, but agreed. More options would be nice.

I'm glad you brought up the brass potentially being an issue. I have never used Hornady brass while reloading but it seems as if they sort of pioneered the 300 PRC to the point that they are one of the only makers of it and I have heard some interesting stories around their brass before. Granted that is probably not enough to totally turn me off of it at this point because I'm still in a gathering research phase but definitely something to consider if I am trying to stretch a dollar with multiple reloads on the same brass.

It's not simply a money issue , it's a time issue as well . Hornady brass is sub par at best, garbage at worst. If the PRC has only Hornady brass for its entirety, it'll go down the same road as the 7mm LRM .

I’m in much the same situation(planning a LA) and considering many options.

Keep coming back to KISS. Which leads me to the good ol 300 win. Tons of ammo, tons of brass, and not too many things a 215 @2900-3000 can’t solve. Dealing with the teething issues of my 6.5 prc has me hesitant to jump on that train, and a 300 win gets double the barrel life of a 28 nos. 30 nos seems to be a better case but I’m not sure I need the advantages of those extra grains as much as I would appreciate tons of ammo/brass/load support.

As intriguing as it sounds, I’m not sure that the .007” bore diameter difference between 25/06 vs. 6.5/06 is worth doing a wildcat over.
.280 AI might be a contender.

While the company that developed the 6.5x06 is out of business (A-Square) it is a saami approved cartridge. Mid south shooters supply has dies available. While no factory ammo is available, brass in the form of 30-06, 270 win, and 25-06 is readily available from a number of sources. Lots of high bc bullets available for the 6.5, I'm less familiar with the “quarter bore” offerings. But, in general I agree that 25-06 is a good choice, with some factory ammunition support.