• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose a precision rifle

holen'one

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2021
Colorado
I've been looking for a precision multi cal bolt gun that can do most things well. Looking to shoot 6.5/6mm/308. Might be interested in getting into prs.

The rifles I've been looking into are the
Desert tech srs m2
AI AT-X
The fix by Q
Or a custom ultra lightweight carbon/titanium build

Budget is around $5k

My 2 cents

DT SRS - Newer models have a decent single stage trigger in my opinion - Weird bolt operation (test drive one first if you planning on doing some scored shooting with it). Can get super compact and caliber options are wider than the AI offering on the AT platform at least for now... Can swap calibers fast on the field with minimal POI but uses an extension system

AT-X - This is the one you should get. Quick lock makes life easy for cleaning, on the range cal swapping with minimal poi. Factory trigger i believe on the AT X is the comp model not the regular 2 stage which with tuning is a nice trigger. AW mags...should have started with that.

The Fix ... You gamble at all?

Light Custom - Guns above except for the fix are not light guns so a light custom is a bit like an apple compared to oranges with the other two.

My opinion if you are trying to make work the one gun do all approach, the AT-X is the ticket. Its a mature system that pretty much has all the kinks worked out and has ton of support.

There’s a decent amount of threads similar to this already. Try searching for them and you’ll come up with lots input. The AI you listed is newer model but even in the past threads AI is highly regarded. I own AT and AXMC

I don’t have any experience with rifles you listed but have a MPA with a WTO switch lug installed. It is super simple barrel swap. I have three different barrels and have been very happy with the set up. Something you might want to look at.

Thank you for the input so far. Really taking a hard look at the at-x. But wish it was a little lighter. I suppose I can always get a carbon proof barrel. Haven't held the srs, not sure on how plasticy it feels and wish it came with interchangeable grips. I do like the weight, size and variety of calibers. Might end up with the at-x for precision/competition and a sig cross for a lightweight compact hunting platform. Might need to abandon the jack of all trades master of none mindset.

Barrett, according to Hinterland, is at least out there a year for wait time. There are some on GB and you may get lucky. Can't speak to AI vs. MRAD, I'm just looking at the lead times and getting out on the range. Lot of ++ for AI. and they are available now.
I've been very happy with the MRAD.

Just getting back from the range after bringing my DT SRS, AI AXSA, and TS Customs build.

While all are accurate and better shooters than me.... I couldn’t help but notice the AI AXSA is the most enjoyable to shoot. I just got mine couple weeks ago so haven’t spent much time behind it but man... that thing is rock-solid and to me outshined the DT SRS & custom.

I know you’re looking for a quick change platform, but I would re-evaluate the need to shoot 3 different short action, non-magnum cartridges. I recommend you pick one cartridge based on your primary purpose and stick with it. 3 different cartridges means buying 3 barrels and 3 muzzle breaks unless you run a 30 cal break all the time. Inventorying 3 different types of ammo or reloading components and tooling to reload as well. And if you pick cartridges with different size case heads, you’ll need to buy 3 different bolts or bolt heads if you pick an action with interchangeable bolt heads.

I would much rather pick 1 cartridge and buy as much of that ammo as you can. At least enough ammo to shoot out your barrel... Assuming you don’t already have boat loads of match grade ammo in various calibers just waiting to be shot up.

Reactions: Sgtsideways
+ to the above. If you reload, there will be the additional cost of the different components. It really starts to add up, especially today with the high++ prices.

You would be pretty safe going with a Zermatt/ Big Horn TL3. (Made in USA) Tolerances are spot on and you can change on command bolt heads and Pre-Fits to go from one cartridge to another with zero issues. Drop it in a light chassis for hunting or a weighted chassis for competition. The Zermatt's can give you the freedom to transition the rifles purpose with the least amount of trouble I've seen so far.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
I have a TL3 and it's okay... I suppose you could have a heavy chassis (AIAX or similar) and a light carbon manners stock from their hunting line and swap stocks as needed. You should retain zero while swapping stocks since the barreled action and scope don't have to be taken apart.

Barrel changes will be easier with the AT-X (which would be my choice of the 3).

Nothing wrong with my TL3 (it does feel a bit unrefined but functions perfectly), maybe I'm just bored, but I'm really thinking about selling my TL3 and getting in line for the AT-X.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
I
I have a TL3 and it's okay... I suppose you could have a heavy chassis (AIAX or similar) and a light carbon manners stock from their hunting line and swap stocks as needed. You should retain zero while swapping stocks since the barreled action and scope don't have to be taken apart.

Barrel changes will be easier with the AT-X (which would be my choice of the 3).

Nothing wrong with my TL3 (it does feel a bit unrefined but functions perfectly), maybe I'm just bored, but I'm really thinking about selling my TL3 and getting in line for the AT-X.

I have a TL3 As well I wouldn’t say it’s unrefined. I think they prioritize extras clearance for dirt and FOD which allows some bolt bind if you do not use good form. But I think it’s very refined big horn just prioritize different features.

OP I would recommend a terminus Zeus and a manners TCS stock. You can tune the stock the barrel channel will accommodate any profile barrel you want to throw on the Zeus. Maybe grab a manners LHR stock too.

99% set on the AT-X thank you for all your help fellas! Just need to drive down to mile high to check one out this weekend.