• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose a Premier Heritage scope...

gewgaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Building up an SPR for precision shooting out to ~600m. Thinking about getting a Premier Heritage 3-15x50mm scope for this purpose. What is giving me headaches is the current needs vs. resale value question... I only need 14 mils to get out to 1000 yards, is what I've calculated, with 5.56mm 75gr HPBTs.

I've read pretty much all the postings available on this site for the Heritage, and I've spoken to Scott over at Liberty Optics who has given me a lot of great advice to chew on, and I thought I'd turn it over to the experts at the 'Hide to sound off.

So if you were in my shoes, would you:

1) Get the scope with a single turn 15 mil elevation knob, because that's all I need for this SPR, at the risk of not having it be as easy to resell later,

or

2) Get the scope with a double turn 27 mil elevation knob, because it probably will have better resale value, but be way overboard for what I need out of the scope right now.

All feedback and opinions welcome!

Re: Help me choose a Premier Heritage scope...

I'm confused why anyone would get the single turn over the double turn, clicks are spaced the same I believe, cost is the same, the DT knob might be 1/4" taller at most....so why would you not want the availability of more clicks?

i say go for option 2 just based of the fact it will do all you want it to and still hold resale value. plus that way if you choose to put it on another build you can still do it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused why anyone would get the single turn over the double turn, clicks are spaced the same I believe, cost is the same, the DT knob might be 1/4" taller at most....so why would you not want the availability of more clicks?</div></div>

My understanding is that the clicks are spaced farther apart on the knobs that have less elevation, and are easier to adjust under pressure (or when your eyes are on the scope). Makes sense if a full turn goes through 15 mils vs. 22 mils.

The 15 mil ST and 27 mil DT both have the same click spacing since they both have 15 mils in one revolution. The click mechanism is exactly the same in both turrets so they will feel the same. Only difference is the DT mechanism which lets you access the the second revolution on the DT turret.
The 22 mil ST has a different (closer) click spacing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gewgaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm confused why anyone would get the single turn over the double turn, clicks are spaced the same I believe, cost is the same, the DT knob might be 1/4" taller at most....so why would you not want the availability of more clicks?</div></div>

My understanding is that the clicks are spaced farther apart on the knobs that have less elevation, and are easier to adjust under pressure (or when your eyes are on the scope). Makes sense if a full turn goes through 15 mils vs. 22 mils. </div></div>

Thats what I thought too.

I have never had the single turn, but the double turn was damn near perfect. No reason not to get it. And definitely go with Scott, he is a great guy and an asset to this community.

Big heavy scope for SPR......but its looking to be a great scope.

15mil ST will run 308's farther than the majority of loads will, so it would be great for a 223. One can forget to turn a turret back down even if you have a popout or other tactile/visible indicator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big heavy scope for SPR......but its looking to be a great scope.

15mil ST will run 308's farther than the majority of loads will, so it would be great for a 223. One can forget to turn a turret back down even if you have a popout or other tactile/visible indicator. </div></div>

but with having 15mils in the first rev chances for being in the second rev are slim. And because it is a big heavy scope, when you decide to take it off the SPR and put in on super duper 4000 yd rifle you'll be happy to have the addition 12mils of travel the DT offers
grin.gif

BTW does anyone ACTUALLY have a 15mil ST Heritage?

The S&B PM I 3-12 single turn I fell in love with and would really like to have one as a type III optic on an SPR. 14 mils in one turn on that scope.

As long as you don't get the 22 mil single turn you can't go wrong, other than the size of all of them.

I do like the Premier, but the PMII is a little smaller and lighter and would fit better on an AR. I would personally prefer a PMII shrunk to the length of the original 3-9 M/RT, with eye relief of about 2", with a max magnification somewhere 6-10x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do like the Premier, but the PMII is a little smaller and lighter and would fit better on an AR. I would personally prefer a PMII shrunk to the length of the original 3-9 M/RT, with eye relief of about 2", with a max magnification somewhere 6-10x.</div></div>

Yeah and go figure, I sold my PMII off a month before I decide to start building an SPR... it woulda been perfect. But 95% of life is timing, eh?

I have a ST Heritage and don't think I'll ever go past maybe 11 mils. With my 5-25 S&B I never go past about 10.5 with it on my 308. If I ever have a rifle capable of 1400+ yards, I don't think I'll have a 3.5-15 on it. I'd want more magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a ST Heritage and don't think I'll ever go past maybe 11 mils. With my 5-25 S&B I never go past about 10.5 with it on my 308. If I ever have a rifle capable of 1400+ yards, I don't think I'll have a 3.5-15 on it. I'd want more magnification. </div></div>

Hmm, interesting... so maybe all that extra elevation potential in a double turn knob is effectively unusable. Sorta like getting a car with 500 horsepower, but never needing to drive over 55mph.

The extra elevation in the DT would be wasted for me. Look at the ST S&B 4-16. Excellent scope and nobody cares that its a ST. I really only shoot out to 1k and 15x is just fine. I may stretch to 1200 at times, but the 14 mils of elevation available in the ST Heritage is more than sufficient. Beyond that, I'd prefer more mag. Just my .02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do like the Premier, but the PMII is a little smaller and lighter and would fit better on an AR. I would personally prefer a PMII shrunk to the length of the original 3-9 M/RT, with eye relief of about 2", with a max magnification somewhere 6-10x. </div></div>

Take a look at the 2.5-10x42 FFP IOR. I know its not a Schmidt--but by IMO one of the most under-rated scopes out there.

I wrote those specs in my "wish list" for specific reasons. The IOR meets none of them other than the magnification range-- and so do other scopes like the 2-8 M/RT and NF 2.5-10.