• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose a reticle

chittnp

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Olympia, WA
I am just about ready to order a US OPTICS SN3 1.8 - 10x scope for a Larue OBR in 5.56. Ideally I'd like to be able to shoot out as far as 5.56 will go, but that's a ways out in the future, so lets say I'll be sticking to around 500 meters as the max distance, with occasional shots out to 1K (someday). I feel confident that the scope will meet my needs, as far as magnification goes, but I'm having a difficult time choosing a reticle thats easy to learn on. I'm having the scope built with .1 MIL adjustments, so I'm clearly going to choose a MIL based reticle, and I have it narrowed down to 3 choices from USO: Mil-dot, MIL-scale GAP, and the USO MPR. Since I want to learn to use the reticle to be able to calculate ranges and holds, I am thinking that the MIL-DOT might not be the best or fastest to use. I'd be interested to know what you suggest.

Thanks

Re: Help me choose a reticle

My personal preference would be the MPR.
The standard mildot only has full-mil divisions and I personally don't care much for the dots themselves either. The GAP has half-mil hashes only on one side of the lines... this just gets to me.
The MPR quarter mil marks might be a bit fine for a 10x scope, but better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

That's just judging from the pics though, I don't have a USO.

I have the GAP, MPR, and the C2 each one is great depending on what you are looking for. I do prefer the MPR for hold overs and fine reticle ranging.

OP,

In all of your statements regarding "what you're going to do", "how you're going to use", you've described how you are going to "control" things. Usually, control has an element of time, that's to say, time is on your side; which is good, since dividing relatively large constants and multiplying fractional factors will likely take you off the sight picture for some time on a calculator.

I've got the GAP in the SN-3 1.8-10X37 (NF 1.375" 20 MOA mount)on a 18" Douglas SPR barrelled AR. It sees use with the PVS-22 as well, and performs really well. I also have the GAP in a 3.2-17X44 SN-3, no complaints. For the higher mags the MPR might offer a real advantage, but for 10X I'm sure you would be happy with the GAP.
I think the 556 OBR has a 10 MOA cant in it's rail, remember this when choosing your mount/rings.

MPR I was looking at that reticle and would have gotten it if I would have ordered a mil scope. I went min/min so I got the scale reticle.

Your cross hairs can almost never be too fine.

Good luck,
Merritt

OP-
remember this is a FFP scope, which means the reticle grows as you go up and down the mag range. With only 10x, the finer reticles are going to be "a bit small" for operational use. As such, I think that the really fine MPR will be too detailed. And ranging with a 10x scope, while possible, is really difficult on the smaller targets where a 1/10 of a mil is important. Net net, I think the GAP reticle is your best choice. The lines on that reticle are 0.1MOA, which are thick enough to see them at 1.8x but not too thick at 10x. I would get the scope with illumination, which helps with speed picking up the reticle when you are at 1.8x.

BTW, I have a 1.8-10x SN3S on my 556NATO DMR and its a fanastic scope/rifle combo. I'm able to make first round hits out to 800+yds with it and have had it out to 1000 with success. Bullet choice is hugely important. You need to select a bullet that you can get moving at good speed (faster than 2700fps, at least) and that at least bucks wind better than the mil-spec 62gr. For this, I like the 70gr Berger VLD - my 20"'er gets it doing close to 2950fps and it has the same BC as the 77gr SMK.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, Ill have to spend a little more time looking at the GAP Reticle