• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me choose between Savages

Sakoman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2004
North Mississippi
I'm looking to buy a .260 and I've got a tight budget. It will mainly be used for deer and coyote hunting. I've narrowed it down to the Predator Hunter max (which I can get for $730), or the 11 FCNS (which is $565).
I like the price of the FCNS, but how much accuracy am I looking to lose by going with the sporter barel on the FCNS?

Re: Help me choose between Savages

You should not see any accuracy diffrence with sporter vs. Heavy but you will see a velocity diffrence in a 22" sporter on the FCNS from the 24" on the Max. I would buy the FCNS even though you may loose around 100 FPS and opt to rebarrel later with a CBI Kriger in the future for around $280'ish at Northland Shooter Supply. You will need to buy a new stock or open the barrel channel. After you get the Savage bug I am sure you will opt to rebarrel and restock the rifle anyway when you learn that with a few tools you can do this work yourself.
For a $165.00 difference however if you plan on leaving it factory I would get the Max.

did you miss out on that LRP that was for sale here, I think he was asking 875? That was a damn good deal.

REELJOB-
I'm leaning toward your way of thinking. Save a little coin now, and rework it in the future

FALex-
I guess so. The LRP is even heavier than the Predator Max though, right?

Go with the 11 FCNS, cheaper now and you always have the option to upgrade in the future.

I'm biased, since I have the Max-1 in .243. I would spend the extra money and go that route. It's WELL worth it. The LRP is going to be pretty heavy for most hunting applications, IMO (although I do want to get one of those for other types of shooting, too!).

Does anyone know how accurate the FCNS would be in 260? Is it an MOA rifle out of the box?