• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RonBurgundyy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2022
Cincinnati
I am looking to buy an ELR rifle chambered in any of the following 300PRC/300Norma/338Lapua/norma but have been struggling to find some reliable answers. It seems that the ELR segment has a wide range when it comes to price tag. I have three rifles that I am currently looking at purchasing. Obviously the proven military rifles carry a larger price tag.

1) Barrett MRAD 338 Lapua (bonus barrel in PRC/Norma)
2) AI AXSR 338 Lapua (Bonus Barrell in PRC/Norma)
3) Masterpiece arms 338

My reasoning behind the rifles on my list.

1) MRAD - Is the hype real? Better than AI?
  • pro - Quick Barrel Change
  • pro - New rifle of US military (MK22)
  • Con - no ARCA
2) AI AXSR - Is it really worth the price tag? 3k more than MRAD 6k more than mpa
  • pro - sexy beast
  • con - price tag
3)MPA 338 - I have a MPA shorts action and could not be happier with the performance but have not seen anything relative to their long action accuracy/ reliability
  • pro - Price tag
  • pro - company known for accuracy
  • con - potential reliability problems?
  • con - No quick barrel change
4) Build a ground up rig. Defiance Ruckus/Proof CF/TT Diamond/Manners EH1-A or TCA GAP w/ ARCA.. This would be a rig I could use for hunting as well but then again the multiple calibers is somewhat off the table.

I am currently leaning towards the MRAD as it is the middle of the road in terms of price tag on the rifles listed above. The AI is somewhat of a dream gun and I dont know if I can justify 10K when I can get other guns for substantially less. The MPA is only on the list because I have a short action from them and love it.

I would also like to hear your onion on the calibers listed above.

Let me know your recommendations.

Last edited:
You might as well ask which is better, 9mm or 45ACP. lol.

Consider this, the AI and the Barrett are military rifles, they're not match-like guns. I'm not hating on either, just stating a fun fact. If your goal is to tap mile targets on the weekend, I'd go build a rifle for that purpose. You'll get what you want in the end and spend less. If you get off on the militaryishism of the poo brown cool kids, or if you need the take-a-hammer-to-it survivability, then by all means go for it. I don't know anyone that would walk away from either of them. You can build switch barrel barrel setups (but do you really NEED that capability or is it just fun to have?) to so that really shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Do you reload? If not, the Norma and Lapua is going to be very expensive to shoot, say ≥ $6.00/rd and ≥ $6.25/rd respectively. PRC is pricey too at ≥ $3.85/rd, but not as pricey as the other two. That said, they are each highly capable. I'm planning to do a 300NM in the near future because it's more efficient than the 338LM and has more umph than the PRC. It could be argued, however, that the PRC will put a real hurtin' on a mile target, an argument I wouldn't challenge and at half the price. For me, I want the added energy from the NM which is why I'm willing to pay the premium.

Quick note, if you're shooting inside 1400 yards, go buy a 6.5 CM and be done. If you must, get a 6.5 PRC. But you don't need a magnum to get you to 1400.

Sir I have to disagree with you on the AI rifles. I have seen several of them that can and do shoot sub moa 1/2moa and even sub 1/4 moa. I have an old AT that does it. You can get custom barrels for it and even change the caliber if you want. So I would not count them out.

what do you define as ELR? that's the first question

if you're talking 1500y then a 300PRC/30SM/300NM is enough

if you're talking 2500y or more then look into a 33XC or some 375 flavor

are you looking to compete? or just shoot further. if you want to compete then you might have to fit in a class with caliber/rifle weight

Could go with a Terminus Zeus quick change, quick change brings your different cartridges back on the table.

Reactions: wildcats
Impact & Curtis don’t list a .588 bolt face listed but are listed at MPA, maybe just something they don’t sell a lot of. Both are available as either a quick-change or have tenon prints available so they are essentially switch-barrel capable. This in a long action, along with your other MPA rifle, will give you maximum flexibility to shoot as many cartridges as you want(unless you graduate to the really big stuff)

AI and Barrett will obviously be the more expensive option and also give you a little less options. But their reputation for being bombproof precedes them. Do you want the simplicity of a turn-key system with the added bonus of the status symbol? There’s no right or wrong answer, just your answer

I’ll also always take an opportunity to live vicariously through someone soliciting recommendations. You could build your own off of the new ARC Coup de Grace action. Even just taking the MPA rifle stuff and replacing either of those actions with the CDG will give you all of the same options with the addition of an adjustable trigger hanger. No more guessing and/or additional gunsmithing costs to get a trigger to feel amazing. Just a few turns of an adjustment screw, secure it, & forget it.

As far as cartridge choices. Yes, those sound great. Really, you need to ask how far you want to shoot then pick something big enough to get there with relative ease. You already have a s/a rifle so pretty much anything that you can shoot out of that will get you to ~1200yds. That distance to about a mile and a half will be like the PRC, Norma, Lapua. Past that will be reached easiest with the XC variants -ish

Could also look at a sako trg 42. 42a1 or trg m10. Most guys get sub 1/2 to quarter moa if you reload and do your part.

Reactions: moosemeat
Appreciate the responses!

The AI and Barret are sweet rifles but practically speaking.. I don't think I can justify.

The Terminus Zeus has peaked my interest and I am leaning towards building a dual purpose ELR rifle. Hunting and long-range target/competition. Being able to drop the rifle down to 12-13Lbs for hunting and then bringing it up to 15+ for ELR sounds rather appealing... I just threw together a build list of a rifle I think would get the job done.

Terminus Zeus action
Trigger tech Diamond
Proof Carbon 300 Norma (for hunting)
Proof Steel 300 Norma or 338 Lapua (ELR)
Manners T2AGAP with mini chassis
Area 419 weight tunable ARCA
Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35

BAT Vesper if you want a dual role 3.95" coal mag fed capable lapua boltface

i'd probably ignore the short proof and go with like a 30" or longer straight barrel. 15# is LIGHT for a true ELR build. a good 30"+ barrel is gonna be 10 pounds on its own

Appreciate the responses!

The AI and Barret are sweet rifles but practically speaking.. I don't think I can justify.

The Terminus Zeus has peaked my interest and I am leaning towards building a dual purpose ELR rifle. Hunting and long-range target/competition. Being able to drop the rifle down to 12-13Lbs for hunting and then bringing it up to 15+ for ELR sounds rather appealing... I just threw together a build list of a rifle I think would get the job done.

Terminus Zeus action
Trigger tech Diamond
Proof Carbon 300 Norma (for hunting)
Proof Steel 300 Norma or 338 Lapua (ELR)
Manners T2AGAP with mini chassis
Area 419 weight tunable ARCA
Leupold Mark 5HD 7-35
1676311535842.gif

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
Sounds like you have your game plan and not a bad one at that. Now get it and start having fun..

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
Looking into the actions.. Anyone have experience with with quick change actions? Concerned about longevity, durability, POI shift. Terminus Zeus is most likely what I will be going with but what about the Curtis Valor?

Put it in a chassis that will allow you to have a HEAVY barrel for range play and a lighter barrel for hunting. Having shot a 338 Lapua some, light ones kick on the scale of 375 H&H.

Looking into the actions.. Anyone have experience with with quick change actions? Concerned about longevity, durability, POI shift. Terminus Zeus is most likely what I will be going with but what about the Curtis Valor?

I thought that I read terminus reccomended the full thread for the lapua class rounds. I could be mistaken, but I'd check with them.

That said I have a few quick change actions and now a barrel vice and torque wrench. After you torque your first barrel on you will realize that it's very simple and quick.

If you are reloading you can the prices are all close enough with the prc and norma and lapua being slightly more.

Forgot to add. If a AI AXSR is a option, it's always the right choice. They can be pretty accurate.
20210821_110255.jpg

Last edited:
I am looking to buy an ELR rifle chambered in any of the following 300PRC/300Norma/338Lapua/norma but have been struggling to find some reliable answers. It seems that the ELR segment has a wide range when it comes to price tag. I have three rifles that I am currently looking at purchasing. Obviously the proven military rifles carry a larger price tag.

1) Barrett MRAD 338 Lapua (bonus barrel in PRC/Norma)
2) AI AXSR 338 Lapua (Bonus Barrell in PRC/Norma)
3) Masterpiece arms 338

My reasoning behind the rifles on my list.

1) MRAD - Is the hype real? Better than AI?
  • pro - New rifle of US military (MK22)
  • Con - no ARCA
2) AI AXSR - Is it really worth the price tag? 3k more than MRAD 6k more than mpa
  • pro - sexy beast
  • con - price tag
3)MPA 338 - I have a MPA shorts action and could not be happier with the performance but have not seen anything relative to their long action accuracy/ reliability
  • pro - Price tag
  • pro - company known for accuracy
  • con - potential reliability problems?
  • con - No quick barrel change
4) Build a ground up rig. Defiance Ruckus/Proof CF/TT Diamond/Manners EH1-A or TCA GAP w/ ARCA.. This would be a rig I could use for hunting as well but then again the multiple calibers is somewhat off the table.

I am currently leaning towards the MRAD as it is the middle of the road in terms of price tag on the rifles listed above. The AI is somewhat of a dream gun and I dont know if I can justify 10K when I can get other guns for substantially less. The MPA is only on the list because I have a short action from them and love it.

I would also like to hear your onion on the calibers listed above.

Let me know your recommendations.

You could check out a Shaun Carlocks 338 Edge. 300 Ultra Mag necked up to 338. 28-30” barrel ( some guys run a 32”) running H1K and 300gn Bergers ballistically online with a 338 Lapua but built on a Standard Remington Long Action Magnum bolt face. 2000yard gun all day. If you have Defensive Edge build it he can put his +P chamber on it too and get you another 100-150 fps out of it. He did that to my 7RM.

Gonna save you money on powder, brass, action etc. head stamped brass, dies are available and have the ability to neck up 300 Ultra Mag Brass if need be. Plenty of that running around too.

If you’re stuck on that Lapua BF, look at his Terminator line of cartridges.

Being on a LA gives you a lot of options. Can run on R700 LA or whatever action you prefer.

Personally I’d rather build a full custom on an Impact / Lone Peak / Defiance etc. whatever Chasis / Stock fits the bill, premium barrel / trigger / brake and a ZCO 8-40. Think you’d be more than happy with that setup.

Can do Prefits as well so pretty quick to swap barrels with an actions wrench / vise.

Check out Defensive Edge. Thatll Be my next build.

Below pic is a 3338 Edge with 300 gn Berger next to my 7RM with 180 gn Berger

2BD267D2-1C07-4DA2-BD28-DF32FBA7D896.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBC
The Zeus is well documented to be extremely reliable and repeatable. Look on YouTube, plenty of tests.

opinions...
An AXSR will shoot with the best of them. Barrels are cheap compared to a Barrett. Rockdoc173 said it best, if your aren't going to shoot past 1300-1400 yards a 6.5 Creed is all you need. Berger 144 or Hornady 147s are good past 1500. I routinely shoot past 1500 with heavy bullets in a 6.5, but it is not ideal. I will bet an AXSR has better resale value than almost anything out there (the cult is real). A custom gun would be better if you are going to get serious about 2500+ and or compete.

I would go the custom route.

Barrett doesn't really support the civilian market and who knows what's going to happen now that they are Australian. AI has atrocious bolt lift, triggers are mediocre and chassis ergos aren't for everyone.

I would build a custom with a Surgeon 1581XL action. Or on a BAT or Borden action. Then from their dress it up with the components you like.

.300NM or .300NMI are great cartridges, but by some metrics not really ELR. However you can always expand into the XC cartridges from the Lapua bolt face. Just do your research, as these bigger cartridges aren't really tolerated well by "normal" sized actions. You need big lugs, big bolts and girthy tennons.