• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes help me choose scope ring height

dmproske

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
Texas
I will be mounting a Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x50 on a Remington 700 5R. I will be using a EGW base and Burris Xtreme Tactical rings. I do not want to use rings higher than necessary. What height should I use?

Re: help me choose scope ring height

I just mounted the same scope on the EGW (20 moa) base for a Savage MKII with a set of weaver tactical rings high the rings say for 44mm objective but with the base I still have about a 3/8" gap. I think I could've get by with mediums.

Thanks for the reply. My base is not a 20 MOA, its the standard one, forgot to mention that. I may need high rings?

Get the mediums, they should work fine... Or, if you'd like to do some math:

Objective diameter(external)/2=number. Height of base+ring height= minimum clearance. If this number is greater than 1/2 of the objective diameter then they'll clear. if not you're going to need higher rings.

D

You will need LOW XTR rings with a 50mm objective.

Here is a picture of XTR LOW rings & EGW 20moa base on a 700 Tactical and a Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm scope. As you can see plenty of room with the low rings.

CHOATE700T-1.jpg

GC