• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me choose!!

kennyg

Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
USA
Okay guys, I am trying to decide what scope to put on my 7 Saum. Uses:

Hunting: 50 to 750 yards

Informal Target shooting: up to 1300 yards

Requirements:
1) repeatable adjustments

2) good low light performance (I hunt at dawn and dusk a lot)
3)under $750, I am willing to shop for a used scope if needed

I really like the idea of an ffp scope for hunting, but I don't know if I have to have it; I have never owned one before. It just seems a lot easier then trying to keep my scope on the right power or doing math for holding over with the reticle. Will an FFP be hard to see in low light? Will it be to big for target shooting? I know I am asking a lot out of one scope, but it is all I can afford right now and I want to have some money left to actually shoot. I have read a lot about the Vortex PST and my only concern there is if the glass is good enough. I have read through all the threads I can find on the subject, and I still can't decide. I wish I had a bigger budget....anyway I am open to any and all suggestions. Thanks

Re: Help me choose!!

Consider your price point.
The PST should perform well. Considering...

The Weaver may also be a good choice and is in the ball park for price.

Robo1 did a review of these scopes and found them to be pretty dang nice for the money. Maybe you can search for it.

No offense but I don't think you have realistic expectations. What you want is a 1-35x scope that does not exist. To see clearly at that distance you will need some high quality glass like premier, NF, USO or Schmidt & Bender. Try about $3k instead for 5-25x range scopes by those manufacturers...lower for used...but even that won't be what you stated, but at least closer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The PST should perform well. Considering...
</div></div>

+1 I use my 4-16 for exactly the uses you've mentioned.

Wow, I must need new glasses. 1300 yds target shooting with 16x scope, that's amazing. Maybe large steel plate and listening for hits, but target shooting at that distance with 16x Vortex scope, wow.

Okay let me clarify a little. I deer hunt, normally set up overlooking a field were I could have shots from about 250-750. I will hardly ever get a shot under 150, but occasionally those creatures show up where you least expect them....I am aware of the shortcomings of my budget, but unfortunately that is all I can spend, so I am looking for the best in that price range. Thanks to all for your help! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense but I don't think you have realistic expectations. What you want is a 1-35x scope that does not exist. To see clearly at that distance you will need some high quality glass like premier, NF, USO or Schmidt & Bender. Try about $3k instead for 5-25x range scopes by those manufacturers...lower for used...but even that won't be what you stated, but at least closer. </div></div>

Since you said you never get a shot under 150 you might consider straight 16x like the IOR or even the SS. IOR 16x has good glass and is in your price range. With a fixed power scope the ffp or sfp wouldn't matter. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kgw43</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay let me clarify a little. I deer hunt, normally set up overlooking a field were I could have shots from about 250-750. I will hardly ever get a shot under 150, but occasionally those creatures show up where you least expect them....I am aware of the shortcomings of my budget, but unfortunately that is all I can spend, so I am looking for the best in that price range. Thanks to all for your help! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense but I don't think you have realistic expectations. What you want is a 1-35x scope that does not exist. To see clearly at that distance you will need some high quality glass like premier, NF, USO or Schmidt & Bender. Try about $3k instead for 5-25x range scopes by those manufacturers...lower for used...but even that won't be what you stated, but at least closer. </div></div> </div></div>

Get a Vortex Viper PST. I bought one a while back and I can say one thing, my Leupold buying days are over. Glass just as clear if not clearer than Leupold's at 1/2 the price. With my 4-16x50 my only complaint is the eye relief gets a little touchy on 16 power. Other than that minor complaint I love mine. Matter of fact I am getting ready to but one of the 1-4's soon.

given your criteria i for sure would recommend picking up a used bushnell ffp 6x24x50. glass is good repeatable, reasonable weight, good power range for what your doing, reticle is a good all around thickness, and illuminated for low light hunting if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">given your criteria i for sure would recommend picking up a used bushnell ffp 6x24x50. glass is good repeatable, reasonable weight, good power range for what your doing, reticle is a good all around thickness, and illuminated for low light hunting if needed. </div></div>I have been looking into these. Do you own one? I was wondering if you know how much of the target is covered by the crosshairs at 1000 yards? I can't seem to locate information on the reticle size. Thanks

I own 2 of them, reticle is perfect thickness for field shooting, i don't know thickness but i know i can quarter a 1" dot at 100yds with it and thats good enought for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Team-Send-It!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own 2 of them, reticle is perfect thickness for field shooting, i don't know thickness but i know i can quarter a 1" dot at 100yds with it and thats good enought for me. </div></div>Okay thanks, that answers my question.

It's a little over your budget (you can't post in any optics forum without someone trying to push ur budget
grin.gif
) but Sightron has some scopes that may fit your needs for just a tad more. http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48419.aspx

There are a few nice Zeiss' on the Sample list at SWFA for $799. 6.5-20X50 with the rapid Z 1000 reticle. http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-65-20x50-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P2074.aspx

I've got a Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm Mil Dot reticle in mint condition for $825 shipped with Seekins Alloy Rings and 20moa rail. Let me know if you're interested and I can give you pics!