• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help Me Decide - 260 Remington and Barrel Length

steinmaster

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
I need help deciding on a barrel length for my upcoming 260 Remington build. I have viewed many pics and read many posts for precision rifles and their varying barrel lengths and configurations. I want a custom built rifle in 260 Remington that is an accurate compact rifle. I'm not to concerned about overall weight, but want it nicely balanced. I currently have a rifle with a Manners T4A stock and love the stock. I will be using the rifle for occasional white tail deer hunting, groundhogs, steel silhouette competitions, and F-Class competitions. I'm planning to shoot this rifle to 800 yards max using the lighter 120-123 grain SMK bullets.

I'm planning to build the rifle with a Manners T4A and a Stiller action. The barrel will be a Brux Remington Varmint contour. I want a barrel length between 18 -22 inches, but just cannot decide on the length. I want as short as possible, but do not want accuracy loss and I want it to look nice. There are some short-barreled rifles I've seen that look horrible. I realize I will be loosing FPS, but the loss is not concerning as long as I have accuracy and convenience of a "shorty" rifle.

If anyone has a similar set-up in a Manners T4A stock, can you please post pics. I know there is a short rifle thread, but I'm looking for just Manner stocks to see how my set-up would look. I also want to know anymore "cons" of going with a 18" barrel in a 260 Remington (besides loss in FPS). Since I'm only shooting out to 800 yards, going subsonic is not an issue.

You might expect 140s to get 2640fps from 18" barrel, with a 20" barrel providing 2700fps.

Add a couple hundred fps for 123s.

I'd go 22 given the choices you posted but have my new GAP 260 coming in a 24, but that's just me, and GAP

Go 22". A shorty is always sexy but really a few inches of barrel isn't gonna make it handle that much better, but the extra ballistic advantage will be noticeable.

Accuracy and barrel length are not related.

Barrel stiffness is important, but you can have a shorter, stiff barrel (as you are planning)- the only thing you "lose" is velocity from a shorter barrel. I'm guessing, maybe 20-30 fps or so per inch?

800 yards is far from being a chip shot, for me anyway..:) I'd go with the longest, varmint contour barrel that I'd be comfortable humping around for whatever type hunting you're planning.