• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help me decide next can

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I’ve got a nomad L, and my current threaded rifles are:
    308 tikka, ar10
    223 tikka and a 10.5, 14.5 and 20” A4

I’m looking at the sandman s, but the price of the yhm resonator is appealing. Also considering the regular nomad, because I like the L so much.

I’m just not sure how tough the nomad is compared to the sandman. I highly doubt I’ll ever be out doing 10 mag dumps, but with the way the world is, who knows

Hard to go wrong with an Ultra 7 or 9.

The new cans built for gas flow has peaked my interest..

Reactions: Lunchbox27
    308 tikka, ar10

I’m looking at the sandman s, but the price of the yhm resonator is appealing. Also considering the regular nomad, because I like the L so much.

I’m just not sure how tough the nomad is compared to the sandman. I highly doubt I’ll ever be out doing 10 mag dumps, but with the way the world is, who knows
    You’re looking for a .30 cal can then? What role do you want to use it in?

You’re looking for a .30 cal can then? What role do you want to use it in?
    It’ll be more used on my AR’s but I’d like to stick to 30 cal, I reload and when/if things normalize, I’d like to get into a semi 300blk.
    Probably leave it on a AR for a HD rifle also.
    My extreme love for my nomad L is why I wonder about another standard nomad over the sandman.
    But the sandman is cheaper in the long run with it keymo ready

The Sandman is about as tough of a can as you can find. But there’s plenty of great options…YHM Res/K, Rex MG7, Recce 7, RC2, Rugged , etc

308 tikka, ar10

Easy to remember... When the SHTF, the Sandman-S should be your can. It's a great mix of length, weight, and sound reduction. I think everyone should have a Sandman-S in their lineup.

The Sandman-S is nearly impossible to kill under most typical civilian circumstances. They are not the quietest suppressors by today's standards, but they are some of the toughest and lowest blow-back suppressors on the market. I have 2 of them...Regular and MIL Contract FDE. They both serve a roll. The .300 BLK sounds great through my Sandman-S cans...Especially with 220 subs.

The Nomad-30 is a great one, as well. It will be quieter on the muzzle end, but louder at the port due to higher back pressure on the semi-autos. Higher BP means more blowback and gas in your face, as well. You can tame a lot of it down with heavy buffers and adjustable gas blocks, but that's just something to keep in mind.

Man I cant decide! I want to order tomorrow.

Still looking at the nomad 30, sandman s mil spec & YHM Resonator R2

Nomad is the most expensive after buying the keymo adapter & R2 is the cheapest, selling the YHM mounts and buying keymo.

I just love the looks of my fat nomad L, but its a little long on the ar's

I was shooting an R2 and a nomad-30 just today. Honestly, but what you can find in stock. Save some scratch and get the R2. Or, get the nomad-30. You’ll be happy either way. I was really wanting an R2, but they were oos everywhere. Then a nomad-30 came back in stock and I jumped on it. Not a week later the R2 came back in stock and I bought it too. No ragrets…

Reactions: nikonNUT

I think the new elite iron asset is the best and most versatile can on the market right now
    They make a 30 cal rated down to rimfire and a 375 cal rated from cheytac to win mag
    It modular so it has a regular length stage & a additional 3”ish stage you can screw on
    Also come with a brake that screws on.
    Covers pretty much all uses from a short hunting style can to a long elr style can as well as brake option for recoil reduction.
    Can order with pretty much any desired thread pitch mount so it can be swapped between multiple rifles
    Have the 375 on order after messing around with.
    Gonna order the 30 cal asset next for my 308 barret and smaller cal hunting rifles
    Little pricy but you get what you pay for their stuff is top of the line consistently as well as their customer service and response … I’ve dealt with Kathy their and she is on it

Nomad is the most expensive after buying the keymo adapter & R2 is the cheapest, selling the YHM mounts and buying keymo.

Why are wanting to sell the yhm mounts and get keymo?

If you already have a Nomad-L...Get the Sandman-S MIL Contract to go with it. 👍🏼

I think the new elite iron asset is the best and most versatile can on the market right now
    They make a 30 cal rated down to rimfire and a 375 cal rated from cheytac to win mag
    It modular so it has a regular length stage & a additional 3”ish stage you can screw on
    Also come with a brake that screws on.
    Covers pretty much all uses from a short hunting style can to a long elr style can as well as brake option for recoil reduction.
    Can order with pretty much any desired thread pitch mount so it can be swapped between multiple rifles
    Have the 375 on order after messing around with.
    Gonna order the 30 cal asset next for my 308 barret and smaller cal hunting rifles
    Little pricy but you get what you pay for their stuff is top of the line consistently as well as their customer service and response … I’ve dealt with Kathy their and she is on it
    IMO (along with many others out there) multi-caliber cans are a waste of money and tax stamps. They do lots of things, but don't do any of them well. The one-size-fits-all doesn't really work well in the suppressor world. You can buy one, but you'll probably regret it.

Sounds like the Sandman is your can!
    No barrel restrictions, full auto rated and low blow back.
    Very solid for gas guns with minimal POI shift due to the keymo mounting system.
    When getting a product from the guys at Deadair you know that you will be supported by their warranty team if anything ever happens.

Reactions: SmolPP
    With a 10.5” AR go with Sandman S. Id prefer the Sandman on semi autos and the Nomad on bolt guns but they are both great cans. You’ll also need to add a key mo (+$200) to the Nomad.

IMO (along with many others out there) multi-caliber cans are a waste of money and tax stamps. They do lots of things, but don't do any of them well. The one-size-fits-all doesn't really work well in the suppressor world. You can buy one, but you'll probably regret it.
    That takes away tbac cans too as most all their 30 cal cans are rated down same with the 338 cans.
    Guess I disagree here.
    The best cans I’ve seen and used were multical
    I think people looking for a multical do all can and then only wanna
    Spend 600-700$ may have your experience.
    I searched alll the cans when pulling this for the best 375 can I could find and 30 cal
    This one that’s modular seemed to be the best one imo in terms of noise performance life cycle and company service for their products
    They are pretty dedicated for me got the 375 for my cheytac and 338-378 and the 30 cal for my hunting rifles

I could see this with trying to find a pistol and hunting rifle can in one again if your
    Trying to 600$ i wouldn’t expect to be very great

That takes away tbac cans too as most all their 30 cal cans are rated down same with the 338 cans.
    Guess I disagree here.
    The best cans I’ve seen and used were multical
    I think people looking for a multical do all can and then only wanna
    Spend 600-700$ may have your experience.
    I searched alll the cans when pulling this for the best 375 can I could find and 30 cal
    This one that’s modular seemed to be the best one imo in terms of noise performance life cycle and company service for their products
    They are pretty dedicated for me got the 375 for my cheytac and 338-378 and the 30 cal for my hunting rifles
    I’m talking about people buying something like a Hybrid 46, and expecting that huge bore to suppress things .30 caliber and under well. I’m not talking about .30 caliber cans being used on smaller cartridges than .30. All, but 1, of my centerfire rifle suppressors are .30 caliber cans that I use on everything from .30 caliber down to 5.56.

Reactions: Bluedog82 and BTap
    I’m talking about people buying something like a Hybrid 46, and expecting that huge bore to suppress things .30 caliber and under well. I’m not talking about .30 caliber cans being used on smaller cartridges than .30. All, but 1, of my centerfire rifle suppressors are .30 caliber cans that I use on everything from .30 caliber down to 5.56.
    Okay I Got it your right there!
    Thought you were taking about the elite iron asset

Still staring at the sandman s and the nomad 30.....

I know the sandman makes more sense, since I have a nomad L... but the nomad 30 is calling me hard.

It's $150 more than the sandman, with buying the keymo adapter.

Still staring at the sandman s and the nomad 30.....

I know the sandman makes more sense, since I have a nomad L... but the nomad 30 is calling me hard.

It's $150 more than the sandman, with buying the keymo adapter.

I'm not sure the Sandman makes more sense. Unless you're doing multiple consecutive mag dumps, then I don't understand why you would go the Sandman route. I think I've read where the Dead Air guys basically say unless you need to utmost in durability (which 99% of people do not) then the Nomad is the better choice. Personally I went with a Nomad LTi and a Nomad 30 to cover my bolt/semi needs.

Now if you're cost conscious and are into the Keymo mounts then there's merit as the Sandman comes with the mount already.

I'm not sure the Sandman makes more sense. Unless you're doing multiple consecutive mag dumps, then I don't understand why you would go the Sandman route. I think I've read where the Dead Air guys basically say unless you need to utmost in durability (which 99% of people do not) then the Nomad is the better choice. Personally I went with a Nomad LTi and a Nomad 30 to cover my bolt/semi needs.

Now if you're cost conscious and are into the Keymo mounts then there's merit as the Sandman comes with the mount already.
    That’s contradictory. Most of the time, they recommend the Sandman-S over everything else for semi-autos. It’s their most popular can for a reason.

If he plans on shooting it on a 7.5”-12.5” 5.56 pistol or something with a short barrel, then the Sandman is still the way to go. It’s not all about mag dumps or rapid firing schedules. Short barrels are EXTREMELY hard on suppressors due to excess heat and flame…Even stainless steel ones (Nomad-30). If he’s ever planning on running anything shorter than a 13.5” barrel and suppressing it, then I’d definitely go Sandman.

That’s contradictory. Most of the time, they recommend the Sandman-S over everything else for semi-autos. It’s their most popular can for a reason.

If he plans on shooting it on a 7.5”-12.5” 5.56 pistol or something with a short barrel, then the Sandman is still the way to go. It’s not all about mag dumps or rapid firing schedules. Short barrels are EXTREMELY hard on suppressors due to excess heat and flame…Even stainless steel ones (Nomad-30). If he’s ever planning on running anything shorter than a 13.5” barrel and suppressing it, then I’d definitely go Sandman.

From the man himself. Sandman for extreme durability. Nomad for real world civilian applications…

Besides the video of the owner of DA above, I also saw a recent post (on the NFA reddit sub I believe) where one of the DA guys said, realistically most guys do not need a Sandman and the Nomad will do the job with better suppression and shorter length. Again, I think there's an argument cost wise if you're married to the Keymo system but otherwise Nomad seems to be the better choice in most cases. As far as it being their most popular can, the Sandman is a solid can and has been for years before the Nomad. Some folks just want something "well-proven" I suppose.

DA has no barrel restrictions and is "full-auto rated" for the Nomad.

From the man himself. Sandman for extreme durability. Nomad for real world civilian applications…

You should watch their InstaGram Q&A's... If it involves an AR, SBR, or AR pistol chambered for a rifle cartridge (other than .300 BLK), 75+% of the time Mike recommends a Sandman series. The other 25% he says Nomad series.

You should watch their InstaGram Q&A's... If it involves an AR, SBR, or AR pistol chambered for a rifle cartridge (other than .300 BLK), 75+% of the time Mike recommends a Sandman series. The other 25% he says Nomad series.
    Yeah, I don’t insta anything. Ask my wife.

Know your use case.

Belt-fed dumping into trash piles? Sandman.

Competition, hunting, square range? Nomad. (Dead air includes sporadic mag dumps)

Extreme durability? Sandman.

Lighter. Shorter. Quieter? Nomad.

It should also be noted that the nomad is rated up to 4400 ft-lb energy rating. The sandman-s is rated to 4200 ft-lb. Neither have min barrel length requirements, and both are full auto rated. All per dead air’s website.

I’d also throw out there, considering the $249 keymo mount; it’s welded to the sandman. MSRP is $999. The nomad msrp is $949 without the keymo. Taking into account the value of the included direct thread mount of the nomad ($89), the value of the body of the nomad sits at $860. The value of the sandman body comes in at $750. Yes, this is false equivalence, but it is possible that there’s more going on in the nomad than the specs might suggest. Especially when you consider that the baffles in the sandman are made from the more durable stelite material.

It’s like choosing between your kids- if the choice was between; one that can really take a punch; and one that’s a straight A student, captain of the state championship football team, and volunteers at the nursing home on the weekends.

Besides the video of the owner of DA above, I also saw a recent post (on the NFA reddit sub I believe) where one of the DA guys said, realistically most guys do not need a Sandman and the Nomad will do the job with better suppression and shorter length. Again, I think there's an argument cost wise if you're married to the Keymo system but otherwise Nomad seems to be the better choice in most cases. As far as it being their most popular can, the Sandman is a solid can and has been for years before the Nomad. Some folks just want something "well-proven" I suppose.

DA has no barrel restrictions and is "full-auto rated" for the Nomad.
    Yeah, except for MUCH higher back pressure from the Nomad, compared to the Sandman. So on AR's, unless you have heavier buffers, and an AGB, you're going to end up getting gassed. I own a Nomad-LT, and have for almost a year now, and put thousands of rounds through it through different cartridges in both AR and bolt-actions.

Reactions: SmolPP
    Yeah, I don’t insta anything. Ask my wife.

Know your use case.

Belt-fed dumping into trash piles? Sandman.

Competition, hunting, square range? Nomad. (Dead air includes sporadic mag dumps)

Extreme durability? Sandman.

Lighter. Shorter. Quieter? Nomad.

It should also be noted that the nomad is rated up to 4400 ft-lb energy rating. The sandman-s is rated to 4200 ft-lb. Neither have min barrel length requirements, and both are full auto rated. All per dead air’s website.

I’d also throw out there, considering the $249 keymo mount; it’s welded to the sandman. MSRP is $999. The nomad msrp is $949 without the keymo. Taking into account the value of the included direct thread mount of the nomad ($89), the value of the body of the nomad sits at $860. The value of the sandman body comes in at $750. Yes, this is false equivalence, but it is possible that there’s more going on in the nomad than the specs might suggest. Especially when you consider that the baffles in the sandman are made from the more durable stelite material.

It’s like choosing between your kids- if the choice was between; one that can really take a punch; and one that’s a straight A student, captain of the state championship football team, and volunteers at the nursing home on the weekends.
    Yeah, I think you must have missed the part where I own 2 Sandman-S cans, and a Nomad-LT… I know how they’re built, designed, baffle materials, and baffle counts and designs. I know what they both do. 😉

There is certainly more technology in the Nomad, and it is quieter, but at the same time, the more efficient baffle design and higher baffle count, does naturally produce higher back pressures, causing more port pop and gas in your face. You will have to tune that out if you want optimal performance.

I have also noticed an equal POI shift differentiation between both series of suppressors. And neither has been any more or less accurate than the other, or affected group sizes in any negative way. Just my experience with thousands of rounds down both series of cans.

I’ve got a nomad mounted on a mid length 16” barrel, non adjustable gas, JP SCS. Functions without issue both suppressed and not. It ejects right at 3 o’ clock when suppressed. It’s 100% reliable. I don’t do mag dumps, but I’ve never had any issues with gas in the face.

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Unless you’ve got a FA belt fed rifle. Then, sandman.

Edit: I’m not intentionally being argumentative. Just sharing my impressions of the nomad.

The YHM R2 is really exceptional too- especially for the cost.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
    I’ve got a nomad mounted on a mid length 16” barrel, non adjustable gas, JP SCS. Functions without issue both suppressed and not. It ejects right at 3 o’ clock when suppressed. It’s 100% reliable. I don’t do mag dumps, but I’ve never had any issues with gas in the face.

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either. Unless you’ve got a FA belt fed rifle. Then, sandman.

Edit: I’m not intentionally being argumentative. Just sharing my impressions of the nomad.

The YHM R2 is really exceptional too- especially for the cost.
    The r2 is nice looking, but it’s length put it out of the race for me.
    I couldnt tell a difference on my 308 bolt gun and 308 semi with the nomad LT. Both sounded the same to me

Yeah, except for MUCH higher back pressure from the Nomad, compared to the Sandman. So on AR's, unless you have heavier buffers, and an AGB, you're going to end up getting gassed. I own a Nomad-LT, and have for almost a year now, and put thousands of rounds through it through different cartridges in both AR and bolt-actions.

So this is one of the posts I was thinking of (https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/new-dead-air-nomad-lt-titanium.7089893/#post-10036353):

So, uhhhh, yeah. Everything you said there is indeed incorrect. The Sandman and Nomad series have nothing in common design-wise other than some common materials like 17-4 Stainless, and the front cap thread socket with the thread-to-taper feature.

You seem to be hung up on spacing. The Sandman-S has common spacing of the baffles, the Sandman-L has variable spacing. The baffles are stellite and welded into 17-4 core, and then an outer tube is over-welded for a belt and suspenders construction approach. The KeyMount system is welded into core and then the tube is welded to it.

Then Nomad series is a tubeless design and can be either 17-4 or Grade 5 Ti. Each baffle nests inside the one before it and create coaxial chambers that capture gas and also help inhibit the gasses/pressure from flowing right back down the bore to the chamber on an automatic action when it uncorks. The second baffle is not equally spaced from the blast chamber, but the rest are equal. It has 1.375-24 threads in the back for modular adapter fitup. This is an extremely efficient baffle and it only works better as pressures go up. It has better performance with seven baffles than some that have 10-12. For example, the Nomad-30 matches the performance of the Sandman-L, but has the same backpressure response in ARs as the Sandman-S. The -S wasn't really designed for 300BLK subs, but it does OK. But the Nomad is stellar with 300BLK, and will easily tame high pressure stuff up to 300 Norma Mag and sound amazing while doing so.

Hope that helps!

Oh, and cool videos Mr. FuhQ!

I could've sworn there was another on reddit about another DA guy talking about use cases but whatever. Granted we don't have any data (I don't think Pew Science has done backpressure testing on the Nomad-30 but I could be wrong), however the bolded line above makes me believe the backpressure generated by the Nomad-30 is at least similar to the Sandman.

If we're using anecdotal evidence, I just went and shot a Nomad-30 I have waiting in jail and it wasn't that much gassier than having the bare Xeno brake (indoor range). Rifle was a stock DDM4V7. I specifically wanted to see if it was bad enough where I would need to mod the gas system. I don't think it is but that's personal preference that could change once I get more rounds downrange.

I also should've clarified I was referring to the Nomad-30 before. It's not hard to think that the L/LT versions having more backpressure due to the increased length.

I'm a big fan of my Resonator R2, especially for the price. Got the KeyMo adapter as well for about $180. I know the Sandman-S is a bit shorter w/ the integrated KeyMo mount but I think the R2 is similar in length to the Nomad-L

Attachments

• 273772439_4927753317309615_2932671476674133886_n.jpg
      273772439_4927753317309615_2932671476674133886_n.jpg
      282.6 KB · Views: 346
    So this is one of the posts I was thinking of (https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/new-dead-air-nomad-lt-titanium.7089893/#post-10036353):

I could've sworn there was another on reddit about another DA guy talking about use cases but whatever. Granted we don't have any data (I don't think Pew Science has done backpressure testing on the Nomad-30 but I could be wrong), however the bolded line above makes me believe the backpressure generated by the Nomad-30 is at least similar to the Sandman.

If we're using anecdotal evidence, I just went and shot a Nomad-30 I have waiting in jail and it wasn't that much gassier than having the bare Xeno brake (indoor range). Rifle was a stock DDM4V7. I specifically wanted to see if it was bad enough where I would need to mod the gas system. I don't think it is but that's personal preference that could change once I get more rounds downrange.

I also should've clarified I was referring to the Nomad-30 before. It's not hard to think that the L/LT versions having more backpressure due to the increased length.
    Thankfully, SS's is down for maintenance, when it comes time to order anyways. I keep going back and forth, read up, add the sandman s, go to checkout, site is down... read some more, change my mind to the nomad, add it and the keymo, go to check out. FUCK... keep reading... back and forth all day

Thankfully, SS's is down for maintenance, when it comes time to order anyways. I keep going back and forth, read up, add the sandman s, go to checkout, site is down... read some more, change my mind to the nomad, add it and the keymo, go to check out. FUCK... keep reading... back and forth all day

Nomad would be more versatile at the margins, if you’re interested in that.

Sandman your stuck with Key-Mo and a mount which is heavy while you can do Key-Mo/Xeno/DT (or all 3) with the Nomad.

I couldn’t make up my mind either…

16F8EEC5-7BA5-422E-84E2-0CFCC7455EAB.jpeg

Reactions: Nbleak21
    Nomad would be more versatile at the margins, if you’re interested in that.

Sandman your stuck with Key-Mo and a mount which is heavy while you can do Key-Mo/Xeno/DT (or all 3) with the Nomad.

I couldn’t make up my mind either…

View attachment 7886148
    I’ve already got set up for keymo, all my rifles except 1 has their brake on it.

Can you tell a difference from the nomad LT and the nomad 30? I’ve ready that the nomad 30 is on par with the sandman L.

My nomad L is crazy quiet, even with full power 308 loads

Ha yeah analysis paralysis is pretty easy to get stuck in. Honestly you'll probably be happy with either can. My mantra is any suppression is better than no suppression.

Ha yeah analysis paralysis is pretty easy to get stuck in. Honestly you'll probably be happy with either can. My mantra is any suppression is better than no suppression.
    Sure is!
    I’m leaning more towards the nomad. It does bug me that it’s 1/2” longer and same weight as the sandman s once the keymo adapter is on it.
    I haven’t shot a sandman, so I don’t know the quiet level compared to my nomad L

For almost every user, deciding between a more sophisticated/efficient baffle stack and a "full auto" firing schedule should be a no-brainer. If you actually need a suppressor rated for full auto, then you are probably not asking for advice on a precision rifle forum.

I’ve already got set up for keymo, all my rifles except 1 has their brake on it.

Can you tell a difference from the nomad LT and the nomad 30? I’ve ready that the nomad 30 is on par with the sandman L.

I am too, those mounts add up $$$ after a while.

No quantifiable data but to my ears the LT is noticeably quieter, and being Ti it ends up being lighter overall than the -30. Tested them on 223, 6.5CM, and 7 SAUM.

Funny story I was at the sot doing paperwork for the -30 and ended up checking out an LT they had and bought one immediately. Have you looked at the either of the Ti Nomads?

I am too, those mounts add up $$$ after a while.

No quantifiable data but to my ears the LT is noticeably quieter, and being Ti it ends up being lighter overall than the -30. Tested them on 223, 6.5CM, and 7 SAUM.

Funny story I was at the sot doing paperwork for the -30 and ended up checking out an LT they had and bought one immediately. Have you looked at the either of the Ti Nomads?
    I was going to get the LT when I got my L last year but didn’t want to spend the extra since it was going to be on a bipod 99% of the time.

With this go around, I don’t really want the titanium due to the idea of having a lighter and slightly heavier use can than the bench guns. Not that I’ll be dumping mag after mag, but I want something a little tougher than a titanium can

There is a VERY noticeable difference between a standard length Nomad, and an L series Nomad...Both stainless or Titanium material makes no difference.

You have to take a look at AB Suppressor.

They're a super light can, great suppression, modular, and a decent price.

Those are the three things most look for in a can. Cost, weight and dB.

The are an over barrel design and make the actual can very short, no added length. The baffle stack is unique inside design which spins the air back on itself. The warranty is excellent, but you won't need it. The weight is crazy light, they get away with this by not using an outer tube and welding the baffle stack together, but a guy can pull both ends off and clean the entire can.

I can't say enough good things about them. I don't work for them, they don't endorse me to post things. I just feel that it's an excellent option for people to explore for themselves. They aren't well known, but they should be for all the innovative things that they put into these cans.

xdeano

Wondering if SilencerShop was hacked. All day from 7am until current, when I try to login, it won’t. I tried to call them and my expected wait time was 3 hours 25 min

My wife said it's a sign that I dont need a 2nd can.....

Now Im debating spending the can money on a divorce... lol
    Do you have kids? Does she have a job? If the answers are "no" and "yes"...Then I'd say money well-spent in the long-run. Because in that rare instance, it ain't "cheaper to keep her". 🤣

Do you have kids? Does she have a job? If the answers are "no" and "yes"...Then I'd say money well-spent in the long-run. Because in that rare instance, it ain't "cheaper to keep her". 🤣
    Lol the answers are yes and no! Guess I’ll keep her

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ