• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide Noveske N4 Shorty or LWRC M6A2 6.8

Re: Help me decide Noveske N4 Shorty or LWRC M6A2 6.8

Don't have either one, but I want to get a LWRC in the future. I like the short stroke gas piston system that LWRC has.

Former NCO sending Former officer guidance in the form of a PM
grin.gif
bwahaha

Same here my only worry is long term reliability, no one really knows how long a gas piston system actually works. Plus I can trouble shoot a Noveske not sure I could trouble shoot a gas piston system if something went wrong.

The piston guns have at least theoretical advantages in the short-barrel uppers, especially for those that shoot lots of rounds. The LWRC SBRs I have seen (a few) have been reliable in carbine classes; so have the Noveske guns.

I have a Noveske N4 Light that has been reliable through two EAG classes and a Colt's LE6920 that has done the same, but these are 14.5" and 16" uppers. The 10-11.5" DI uppers appear to be more ammo sensitive. The Noveske KX3 "Krink" is an aid to reliability in the short barrels, but it also adds weight and length to the barrel and may not be the best flash suppressor.

Have you read Pat Rogers' article in SWAT re: the LWRCs he loaned to students as T&E guns? (March 2009 issue) You can download a .pdf file from their site for a fee if you don't have it.

I would go LWRC. At least that way you're getting a piston system for your $2k. Never really saw how Noveske could get $2500 for an AR-15 when LMT sells one for $1000 less that's probably very close to the same in durability. Noveske might be worth it if you beat the ever-loving shit out of your rifles on a regular basis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go LWRC. At least that way you're getting a piston system for your $2k. Never really saw how Noveske could get $2500 for an AR-15 when LMT sells one for $1000 less that's probably very close to the same in durability. Noveske might be worth it if you beat the ever-loving shit out of your rifles on a regular basis. </div></div>

I would go with the Noveske, at least you are getting a really nice barrel that will last a LONG time. With the LWRC you're just paying for the trendy piston, there is nothing special about the rest of the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would go with the Noveske, at least you are getting a really nice barrel that will last a LONG time. With the LWRC you're just paying for the trendy piston, there is nothing special about the rest of the gun. </div></div>

Noveske barrels are outstanding but it's a closer race than you think with LWRC's new cold hammer forged barrels.

IMHO, you get more for your money with the LWRC between the piston system, the CHF Nicorr coated barrels, and the nickel coated BCGs (resists corrosion and enhances lubricity). LWRCs also ship with Troy BUISes and top-shelf Tango Down stocks and Magpul furniture (although John's guns are likely comparable here I guess?).

In a shorty AR, especially when run suppressed, the advantages of a piston system are pretty well documented by now. Less fouling is a big plus, but even more important for the shorter guns is the reduced heat a piston system generates and the resultant decrease in stress on the system the cooler running creates.

I'd go LWRC.

K