• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me decide on New scope for AR 300 BO - LPVO vs EOTech

RobbW

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2014
Mesa, Arizona
So I’d appreciate input on using the EOTech with Magnifier Vs LPVO

here’s the backstory

Back in the 80’s in the Army, I only had iron sights. I shot right handed with my right eye which wasn’t as good as my left. I grew up right handed. I am left eye dominant as well. I always had trouble shooting at over 200 yards that way. Shooting with my left eye was always very good.

Back to today, I‘ve enjoyed adding many firearms and go to the range regularly and have taken some training courses. I may try some competitions in the future for fun. I added an aim point T1 to my CZ Evo Scorpion sbr mainly for use at close range suppressed. I find the red dot quick and easy. I never really anticipate shooting the Cz past 50 or so yards. I am right handed but shoot left eyed on my pistols and the scorpion so for the red dots, it is very easy to shoot that way.

On my bolt action rifles, I shoot a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 in mil and switched to left hand shooting only because I really can’t use my right eye very well with a traditional scope with typical eye relief. So I am used to mils on longer range targets. Love the scope. Love the mil. Love the tremor3 reticle or the milXT.

So I just found a POF 300 Blackout with 10.5” in pistol form and it should be arriving next week to my FFL. I’m excited about adding this because it’s very light weight and compact with a small folding format with the law tactical adapter. The intent on this purchase was for it to act similarly to the scorpion (with a much shorter length than traditional AR) but allow me to shoot out much further to 400 yards when needed. No real plan for subsonic shooting with it. I live out west in AZ. Wide open spaces. Not planning on CQB. Longer than 400 I have the bolt actions.

need to add an optic for this 300 blackout.

I like the concept of the ATACR 1-8. It would fit well with my other nightforce scopes with turrets, etc but I don’t think I can line up with this scope left eye, right handed Even at 1x. I’d rather not shoot the AR left handed as it really slows me down. So this is my main priority Where possible.

I really like the ability of a red dot with magnifier on this firearm. I like that the EOTech can shoot with a wider field view and no parallax issues for my left eye and right handed on this setup as well If I am off center. But I’m not likely to shoot with just the red dot out to anything over 100 Yards. So for longer distances I would likely add the magnifier (like the new 5x) if this would be a good solution.

Here are my main questions or concerns:

does the magnifier have a similar forgiving field of view as well when using it with the eotech? Or if I have to be perfectly lined up behind it like a LPVO? And does it now appear to be looking through a straw?

because the eotech has a red dot reticle, how can you estimate holdovers to hit acurrately past a zero at 100 on the dot even with the magnifier. Because the 300 BO is not as flat shooting as 5.56, I am unclear even with the 2 dot or 4 dot models, or even using the donut outer ring how to estimate what range they would represent with 300 BO

my plan is really to only shoot supersonic with the 110’s. It’s like a 6-7 mil holdover for 400 yards. How can I apply this to the eotech Reticle If that is what works easiest for me on this firearm?

if I can’t estimate somewhat accurately then I might as well go with the ATACR with mil marks and just train to go left handed... definitely not my preference.

thanks for the help.

Robb

Last edited:
I’m also right-handed and left eye dominant. I shoot a decent amount since I can shoot on my land, take at least one training class a year on average, and compete on a casual level in PRS type and USPSA matches. Pistol I use my dominant eye, rifle I shoot off of right side and (obviously) right eye. I‘ve been going through a similar decision with a 556 AR. I have multiple red dot sights and a 1-4 LPVO and I really like the abilities of the LPVO, but would like to try one in a higher magnification. A RDS definitely provides the confidence of quickly getting on target, but honestly the LPVO doesn’t slow me down. I still shoot it both eyes open like a red dot - It‘s just diff enough to make me do more reps to get as comfortable as a RDS that’s all. The general consensus seems to be if the majority of the shooting will be longer range then an LPVO would be preferable. If your looking for majority of close-up shooting with a need to occasionally shoot longer, then the RDS and magnifier seems to be the better option. I’ve decided to go with another LPVO but higher magnification. Was figuring out how to justify the Vortex gen3 1-10 and then just read about the Athlon 1-10 FFP coming out at about half the price so I decided to pre-order one of those with Doug’s help at Camera Land. I have an Athlon on my precision 22 and have been very happy with it, so I’m confident that this new 1-10 will work for my needs. The reticle suits me as well, and definitely a better option for shooting past 300.

Reactions: RobbW
Ok we’ll see how it goes. I ordered the eotech and will pick up a 5x magnifier in March when those are released. Supposedly the two dot BDC version that I bought matches 300 BO at 100/300 so I guess I am good to go for now.

Robb

I think you'll be happy with your choice. I had more luck with SFP LPVOs. Tried the ATACR 1-8, ran it a few times including a two-day course, wasn't my thing. Was an expesnive lesson learned but couldn't have found out any other way. I'm liking my razor 1-6 a lot more than the ATACR, for a lot less $$$. But, I shoot red dots a lot more than LPVOs. Enjoy!

Reactions: RobbW