• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide on which optic.

Crumley25

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2011
Kingston, GA
Optic will be mounted on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD .308

Will be used for Hunting and some long range shooting out to 1000 yards

I have narrowed it down to two options:

Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50 (30mm) side focus LR Target

and

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 MC

Im having trouble deciding between the two.

I like the glass in the Zeiss and the style of turret, but is there enough elevation adjustment to get out to 1000 yards even with a 20 MOA base?

The Zeiss is a damn nice scope in my opinion. The Rapid Z 800 is alot of fun when ya use it correctly. And ya the 20MOA base will get you there.

There is an optics forum where this will get more traffic.

I've owned too many Leupolds to count. Been happy with every single one.

ETA: I've owned VX I, II, III, Mark 4, Mark 6, and Mark AR. All good.

Last edited:
There is an optics forum where this will get more traffic.

I've owned too many Leupolds to count. Been happy with every single one.

Welcome to the Hide. The Bear Pit is where we generally discuss all the other random crap that may or may not pertain to shooting. As [MENTION=30908]garandman[/MENTION] said, if you check the "Snipers Hide Rifle Scopes" forum there's been a couple of threads on optics selection.
Good luck with it. I've never owned a VX from Leupold, but I have a pretty wide assortment from their other lines and have been happy.

ETA: I wasn't being a wiseass when I welcomed you, I saw your post count but not the join date. Sorry.

As the fine gentlemen here have already said look at the optics section. If you have a price range in mind you might also opt for a really excellent used scope out of the for sale section as you might find something better for the same price.

That being said, given what you are discussing here, I would lean towards the Leupold. Both are good and the glass in both will get the job done. I just like the great Customer Service Leupold has and that, if I ever need a repair, they are very helpful. You know....like setting it on the tail gate in the sleet/rain/hail storm only to look in the rearview to see it bounce to the ground.

I also agree with 1J04....get the 20 moa base

Lastly, if you get a Leupold, new or used, get the serial number and call Leupold with it. they can confirm the serial number to the configuration of the scope you are buying to make sure you are not being sold a counterfit one. I dont think all optics manuf do this for thier customers

Last edited:
If the price is the same or close, buy the Zeiss.