• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide

NoahbodyImportant

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
NE Ohio
My father has 3 safe queens: M1 Garand, M1A, and M1D.

I am a shooter. All 3 guns are in top nothch condition. I want a shooter.

If I were to make a trade (.44 mag Colt Anaconda 8" with original box and paperwork)... which one should I try to get and why?

Thanks for the input.

Re: Help me decide

M1A would be my vote. Sweet rifle that is a played a big part in history and is still well sought after

Does the M1D come with the M84 scope, and cheek pad? If it does grab it. If not then I'd go the M1A route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the M1D come with the M84 scope, and cheek pad? If it does grab it. If not then I'd go the M1A route. </div></div>

^^ THIS!!! ^^

Also...just some other thoughts...are we talking about an even-money trade for an 8" Colt Anaconda for any of the above, or are we talking about some give/take on cash on your part?

I only ask because my guess is that at a minimum, the M1A and absolutely the M1D, are worth more than your $1200 Colt (possibly the "basic" Garand too depending on its provenance). While I know you want a shooter, from a pure investment standpoint, it'd be tough if not impossible for me to pass up an M1D for $1200!!!!

Im definitely going to try the "straight" trade deal. My father is no dummy and probably will want some cash. Hopefully not, I am his son!

My original thoughts was to get the M1D. It does have the scope and leather cheek pad. However, Im not keen on having a "Safe Queen" at the moment. I want a gun that I can go out and shoot, maybe even compete on a local level with it.

These are immaculate guns and probably will never leave his safe.

I would have ZERO problem taking an M1D out and shooting it! I don't buy guns (with VERY limited exceptions) to just sit around and look at, rub with a diaper, put in a display case for all to drool over, etc., etc.

But if you truly want a "shooter" and you have any reservations about being able to take the M1D out and enjoy it, pick one of the others. No sense in trading for anything that you aren't going to be 100% confortable taking out and using (unless you are collecting, which it sounds like you are NOT).

I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of your options, but again...it all comes down to what kind of a deal you can work out and what YOU want/need. Also, if you are planning on "competing" with any of the above, you need to figure out what kind of competition you want to shoot in because that may determine which of the options are the best for you whether it be basic Service Rifle, JCG matches, the Vintage Sniper Rifle matches, etc.

Thank you all for the input.

I am sure, at some time, they will all be mine.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to take the M1D out and shoot it. Im going to guess, out of the 3, the M1D is the most expensive one.

Im thinking Im going to try for the M1A. It maybe the easiest one he will let go.

whichever one you get are you planning on definatly keeping? I ask cause like mentioned the M1D is probably the best investment. Hell you could shoot it have fun and then sell it or trade it WAY UP for something you REALLY want........I might know a guy that'd want it

Tough to say. You want a shooter and you are looking at three collectables. Unfortunately, to a collector down the road these are going to lose money for you if you take them out and shoot them. Unless they've already been shot.

If you do that, the one that will lose the least is the M1D. Next is the M1A, then the Garand. They will lose a lot of money if you take them out and beat them up. Like running in a comp might do.

Just shoot them with care. And clean carefully afterwards and your investment in them will be protected.

If you want a competition rifle, I wouldn't go with any of these three. None of them are up to today's standards on what IS accurate. They were certainly great in THEIR day. I've loved to shoot each of them when I've had the chance, though. Depending on the type of competition you want to get into get a good upper end bolt gun that you can build on later. Or go with a really good action and start your build. If you don't want the Anaconda anymore, then see what your dad will give you for it, or possibly shop it here on the firearms section. That'll bring a big chunk of money needed for the materials to build a rifle.

Otherwise start saving on a program and once you get to a certain point get your build going and pay as you save.

-good luck

Thanks for the input. You are correct, these are collectors items not accurate shooters, compared to the recent guns available.

My father was mumbling something about the M1A only 5 digit serial number and how much it is worth. I guess I dont blame him. All 3, and many more will be mine some day. I will let him cherish them in his safe as long as he can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoahbodyImportant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im definitely going to try the "straight" trade deal. My father is no dummy and probably will want some cash. Hopefully not, I am his son!

My original thoughts was to get the M1D. It does have the scope and leather cheek pad. However, Im not keen on having a "Safe Queen" at the moment. I want a gun that I can go out and shoot, maybe even compete on a local level with it.

These are immaculate guns and probably will never leave his safe. </div></div>

M1D without a doubt. No reason for it to be a safe queen. I've owned mine for 30 years and shoot it quite a bit. Scope comes off easily and can be shot as regular M1 without much change in appearance.

For me, it's simple, because with few exceptions, the firearms I own are mine because I want to shoot them. Additionally, I was given USMC basic Infantry training with the M1, M14, and (just rudimentarily) the M16.

I have never prized a scoped version of any of them, despite trying to create one out of an M1A. They just tend, for me, to respond better as an iron sight rifle.

Of them all, the only one I still own and treasure is my Garand; so that would be my choice out of your particular options.

I have least enough scoped guns, and if I wanted a semiauto service type rifle with a scope, I'd be looking real hard at something AR-ish with a flattop upper and a longish barrel length. That's more likely to toss the fewest troubles my way.

Greg

Take them out and shoot them. You will decide at that point, grasshopper.
wink.gif