• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me dial the gear I carry in my pack for training and matches...

Fried Chicken Blowout

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
Meeker, Colorado
More multicam than should be allowed in one place... Check!
One pack that weights more than it should... Check!
Lack of stuff that I really need... Check!

All joking aside I would like to fuel a discussion about field packs in order to make sure I’m carrying what I need and not carrying stuff that I should not be. Let me start out by saying this pack is my range pack for training, load development and for range based matches as well as the pack I’ll be using for field style “tactical” matches. Up till now I’ve been shooting as the carbine shooter in team matches. This will likely continue but I may branch out into some other field based matches that are semi-auto friendly so I’m trying to setup a do-all bag. The do-all part may be an issue so let me know if there are some items that you would not run for field matches that you would keep in there for range based matches or for general use at the range. The field matches I’ve attended are have stages that are 2-3 miles at the most with vehicle support nearby. Water, food and navigation is not an issue.

To start it off I’ll outline the pack it self and the exterior additions I’ve made and then break down what I have in the pack as well as what I may add or remove. Mags and ammo appropriate for the rifle being used of course will be in the pack but not listed.

Eberlestock X3 Lowdrag

• Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC Range Finder
  • Bushnell Legend Ultra HD Monocular
  • SILK Tripod with pistol grip ball head
  • PRS Tripod Rifle Cradle
  • Clear eye pro
  • Allen keys for trigger and gas block adjustment
  • Small punch for trigger pins and what ever else
  • Tool needed for scope adjustment and ring tightening
  • Spare AR15 Bolt Head and Extractor
  • Multi piece cleaning rod for clearing stuck cases or squib
  • T.A.B. Rear Bag (Multicam of course)
  • Medical Kit
    • Asherman Chest Seal
    • Adventure Medical Kits - Trauma Pack with QuickClot
    • Large Israeli Bandage
    • Trauma Shears
    • CAT Tourniquet - Attached to outside of pack
-T.A.B. Gear Sling in outer pocket

• Gloves in the other outer pocket
  • High Speed Gear - Mag Net - For high speed pickup of brass on the run, attached to bottom of pouch
  • Eberlestock Pack Mounted Shooting Rest - Attached to bottom lid

Zulu Nylon Gear - Mega Admin Pouch - Attached to the top outside lid

• Kestrel 4000
  • Impact Compact Data Book
  • Spare 9v for shot timer if brought
  • Ballpoint pin x 2
  • Sharpie x 2
  • Two pair Surefire Ear Pro
  • Lens Pen
  • 6 Spare AAA Batteries for Kestrel
  • Streamlight ProTac 2L
  • 4 Spare CR123 Batteries

Optional Items

• TAB Gear Shooting Mat - Can be carried inside pack as needed
  • Shooting sticks - For use when tripod not allowed
  • Rain gear and season clothes changes

Untitled by FriedChickenBlowout, on Flickr

So what am I messing that’s good to have? What’s in there I should dump?

Thanks!

You have an absolutely beautiful lawn! Haha sorry I don't have much to add to the thread except I would still probably add water and a couple clif bars to stay consistent in a "do all" bag. Just incase you go to that match where food and water have to be carried.

Galaxy S3 via tapatalk v4 Beta

Good points for both posters. I'll put them on the list. The mildot master is function with any Mil based reticle right? I'm using the G2DMR on both my rifles.

Keep the list coming. What would most people say is the max weight for something like this when the pack is loaded (minus rifle and ammo)?

The grass is green because it's been raining for days here. Which is surprising because it never rains around here.

for most matches i would ditch the mono, a spotting scope that is better than your rifle scope may be handy - but is heavy, your rangefinder and rifle scope should cover anything the mono will do. The mildot master is nice as it also is MOA and inch stuff - comes in handy (wide range of uses)

bug spray, bandaids, sun screen - remember the little things

this is good for tools: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-small-pouch-maintenance-kit.html#post2656243

Is that synthetic grass?

Sorry, but it looks SO manicured.

OK, Good list, mostly.
> Monocular goes (you have great LRF binos fer God's sake!)
>Cleaning rod goes (Otis kit is FAR easier on your bore)

* ADD the other stuff suggested here AND a 3 legged collapsable chair.

Is that synthetic grass?

Sorry, but it looks SO manicured.

OK, Good list, mostly.
> Monocular goes (you have great LRF binos fer God's sake!)
>Cleaning rod goes (Otis kit is FAR easier on your bore)

* ADD the other stuff suggested here AND a 3 legged collapsable chair.

No man, it's the real deal grass... It's perky without any augmentation...

I've got a 3 legged chair. My favorite thing to bring to USPSA/IDPA matches.

The cleaning rod is for emergencies like a stuck case. I can add an Otis kit if there is a need for one. I wasn't sure about needing it or not. The only cleaning I've actually done at matches was just the bolt.

That LRF is a mono which is what I prefer anyways. I've got really bad vision in my right eye that can't be corrected so binos are a 50% waste of money. The mono I got because the LRF is a 7x with not so good of glass. The Mono is a 10x with great glass for the money.

While I dont shoot tactical matches (as they are illegal here) This is how I run my pack for long range shooting in the mountains.
mrs3eg.jpg
I bring ammo,spare mags,lrf,kestral,rearbag,sling on rifle,ear pro,cleaning kit,spotscope,angle cosine indicator,map,compass,gps,flask with warm drink,food,water(platypus and bottle)admin pouch wth mildotmaster,dope card,logbook,pens,FDAC,waterproof jacket,survival bag,smallmedkit(including field dressing).
f3t3zd.jpg
Il pack a few other small things as well dependant on time planned out/weather ect.I dont bother with a mat,or real big bulky legs for spotscope,Not sure what it all weighs but im fit and im infantry so used to carrying a pack.I plan on buying the 2 add on side pouches so that i might add a lightweight tent for a overnight.