• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me find a cartridge...

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
In the mood to build something for some serious speed. Goal is a 100-120ish grain bullet at 3500+fps from a 24-26" barrel. Open to most anything. This will be used for hunting, mostly deer and hogs. I have plenty of guns to hunt with, this is strictly just for fun and because I want to.

.257 and .264 seem like best options here. I would like to be able to use good brass, ADG or Lapua if possible. No problem having to fire form or anything, I love odd ball cartridges and wild cats. I'm open to long or short action. 257 blackbird sounds cool, 257 or 6.5 SS may be capable but may be too slow, 26 nosler would be cool but may be too much of a barrel burner. So anyone got any suggestions?

I’d suggest to you that you’re asking for a barrel burner, and to not worry about that part. As you say, it’s for fun; have fun.

Reactions: jda2631
I’d suggest to you that you’re asking for a barrel burner, and to not worry about that part. As you say, it’s for fun; have fun.
Yea I agree, I haven't looked into 26 nosler too much, but I remember reading about ppl having issues with it being such a barrel burner that they were having accuracy issues because it was burning the throat so fast they were constantly chasing lands. I don't intend to be shooting long strings or anything, but that would get old. I may be over thinking that though.

With the speed and bullet weight you are looking for, it is going to be a barrel burner.
your specs are in excess of the .257 Weatherby Magnum, how the fuck is it not going to be a barrel burner?

Factory loaded 100gr 257 weatherby is 3570fps, so that does meet what I outlined above. I never once said it can't be a barrel burner, I'm well aware of what I'm getting into wanting that much speed. Just not so much of one that Im chasing lands every 40 rounds or so. Just looking for a fun, fast cartridge.

GRT is showing 6.5 PRC will get you there with a 107 sierra, re 26 and a 26" barrel (3550 fps range). You can get Lapua or ADG brass for 6.5 PRC. This is going to be about the most barrel friendly route available, but it will still be short.

25-06 AI....dont have one, but its on my radar recently.....3500 with 100gn....a little less at heavier bullets. It seems like a pretty neat round to add to the collection...

From accurate shooter....FWIW. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/25-06-ai.4009732/

"I've shot over 40K rounds of the standard 25-06 Rem and 25-06 AI over 54 years as my go-to rifles for everything except 1000 yard elk. The AI is the far superior version of this great cartridge but the straight 25-06 does better than most other cartridges across a wide variety of uses. For most antelope/deer hunting applications the 100g bullet at around 3500 fps is more deadly than anything short of the .257 Wby with better accuracy. Having hunted the prairie most of my life, about 75% of my shots have been running shots (and pronghorns fly) and this bullet makes them more predictable than anything I've shot. Within a couple hundred yards, that weight bullet hits where the cross hair is."