• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me find a quality precision rifle under $1000

Shadow7.62

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
MD
I have been shooting for years with a variety of firearms and I want to start shooting at longer ranges than 100 yards. Recently I won a new Weatherby vanguard series 2 .308 in a raffle and discovered that I hate it. My plan is to sell it and buy a better rifle for under $1000. I have been looking at a Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter in .308. It looks like it would have good off the shelf accuracy and I love that it comes with a muzzle brake and an adjustable cheek rest. I have a SWFA SS 10x42 rifle scope and a Harris s-brm 6"-9" bipod that I would put on the gun. I don't have experience building them but could try if it makes the rifle cheaper and have better parts.

Requirements for the rifle:
-Under $1000 and accurate
-Adjustable cheek rest (or a stock that I could put one on)
-24"-26" Barrel that could be free floated or is already free floated
-Chambered in .308 win

Optional:
-Muzzle brake
-DBM

Recommendations or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Savage FCP Tactical with the HS Precision Stock or for slight more you can get the same rifle in a McMillan A5 Stock.

This.

I've gotta ask though, what do you not like about your Vanguard S2? I know in 308 they thump a little but are quite manageable with 155gr bullets, the varmint version can go for a little bit longer without getting hot too and the recoil is a hair tamer.

I've set two up for myself and five for others and none have shot more than MOA with any ammo. Every one has shot 1/2moa with hand loads and a few have shot 1/2moa with run of the mill power shock and core lokt. The 308 SS version I set up and developed a load for my uncle puts 5 rounds through the same hole repeatedly with 46gr of varget behind a 150 nosler BT.

They are consistently the most accurate factory commercial grade rifles I have ever shot. The action is also a wonderful design. One piece bolt, M16 extractor, flat bottom action with built in lug. It's a great action to build on as well, PT&G and CDI make bottom metals, several stocks are I letter for them, and any smith can install a barrel. You can't beat the for the money and even more money.

Take a look at the offerings from FNH, they are really making the Model 70 shine. Be aware you do not "need" 24-26" for a .308 rifle. I loved my FNH produced rifle, regret selling it sometimes. The action is very smooth with a nice trigger, not to mention the excellent CRF and fixed blade ejector.

Cheapest Remington 700 with a bull barrel you can find.
Use the savings to upgrade as you see fit, or better yet spend the savings on ammo

Take a look at the Remington 700 long range offerings. Comes with Bell and Carlson stock and heavy profile barrel. Several calibers. Around 700 bucks. That's a good bet.

Look at the aac-sd. Love mine. Spent 525.00 on the gun SWFA 16x42 scope harris bipod 6-9 muzzle brake from Ross Schuler and bolt lift from KRG. Less than a grand.

Look around for the best prices. Mine took me 2 months to get everything.

Take a look at the Remington 700 long range offerings. Comes with Bell and Carlson stock and heavy profile barrel. Several calibers. Around 700 bucks. That's a good bet.

^^this^^ Cabels is selling them for 640 before tax and they come with a good stock. I am playing with the 7mm mag and 30-06 right now... the 30-06 I had to order from my LGS as cabelas didnt have a clue. I am pushing handloaded 208's at 2750ish... My 308 winchester stealth is also a sweethart and has the fastest barrel I have owned in a 308, factory or custom... YMMV

Last edited:
If you're lucky enough to even Find ONE Used, chances are there no New In Stock anymore anywhere in the US. I Would Get a Tikka T3 Scout CTR with Factory 20" Bull Barrel for around $800. It keeps up with my SAKO TRG22 when I had it and out shoot both my Remington 5R and AAC-SD (All Factory Guns). The quality and action smoothness is above and beyond anything Remington or Savage can offer.

If you want accuracy out of the box and under 1k, I would stick with savage or tikka. If you wanted to put more money in the same gun later, Savage. If you want to put allot more money in the same rifle later, remington.

This.

I've gotta ask though, what do you not like about your Vanguard S2? I know in 308 they thump a little but are quite manageable with 155gr bullets, the varmint version can go for a little bit longer without getting hot too and the recoil is a hair tamer.

I've set two up for myself and five for others and none have shot more than MOA with any ammo. Every one has shot 1/2moa with hand loads and a few have shot 1/2moa with run of the mill power shock and core lokt. The 308 SS version I set up and developed a load for my uncle puts 5 rounds through the same hole repeatedly with 46gr of varget behind a 150 nosler BT.

They are consistently the most accurate factory commercial grade rifles I have ever shot. The action is also a wonderful design. One piece bolt, M16 extractor, flat bottom action with built in lug. It's a great action to build on as well, PT&G and CDI make bottom metals, several stocks are I letter for them, and any smith can install a barrel. You can't beat the for the money and even more money.

I don't like the stock or the barrel. I had to tape foam to it so I could get a proper cheek weld and I can't run the gun as long as I would like because of the heat. The accuracy is great even when using cheap ammo. It's a great hunting gun and would do good for whoever I sell it to.

I like the Remington options especially because of aftermarket items. The standard 700 long range doesn't come in .308. After looking around I found that the SPS varmint is the same action and barrel as the 700P. So I think I should get the varmint and put a new stock on it. What would you all recommend for a stock under $500 and has an adjustable cheek rest? Thanks for all the input so far.

If stretching the budget is an option, check out the new ssg 3000. Meets all of your other requirements. A few threads going on about them around here.

There are a few on gunbroker for $1389.

Rem LTRs can be had for less than a grand. Mine shoots .3s-.5s. If they'd start threading the barrels and make them in .260 I'd get one in a flash.

What would you all recommend for a stock under $500 and has an adjustable cheek rest? Thanks for all the input so far.
The B&C is hard to beat for under 500.00 with all the adjustability you could need. Not saying they are better than the others like Manners and McMillan, but I couldn't justify a 600.00 action in a stock running upwards of 1k or more. Just my .02 but I'm new to this game and couldn't afford to get in over my head. Also, Vortex 6-24mm x 50mm FFP for the same reasons above. Good luck.

I would forget 308 and buy a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 CM. They are coming with an HS precision stock that you could easily add a Karsten cheek rest to for cheap.

Last edited:
Remington 700p, 700 sps tactical, savage fcp-sr, savage tactical 10....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage LRP. Awesome rifle and you can find them for about $935 brand new.

Like stated above. Very hard to beat the new Sig SSG 3000. Everything your looking for but price. If you did buy a good 700 etc. More than likely your still going to need to spend money on a stock, possibly a new trigger and a good base. The Sig has a base, excellent trigger and an adjustable butt-stock.

I bought one that came with a 5 shot target that is 3/16" center to center for $1238/shipped. Just watch for a deal. Or I just saw Beretta/Tikka bolt actions in 300 WSM for $499.
If stretching the budget is an option, check out the new ssg 3000. Meets all of your other requirements. A few threads going on about them around here.

There are a few on gunbroker for $1389.

The ssg3000 looks like a great option and it would be cheaper because it already has all the upgrades that I'd put on the 700. My plan was to put on a Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 5, the socom brake, and a dbm later on the 700. I went to some gun shops and looked at the 700 aac sd and it seemed like a great option. It seems the ssg3000's accuracy is way better the the stock aac though so I'll have to try to find someone in my area that has the ssg so I can check it out in person. Overall the ssg looks like the way to go. Thanks for all the input.

I would forget 308 and buy a Savage 12LRP in 6.5 CM. They are coming with an HS precision stock that you could easily add a Karsten cheek rest to for cheap.

Love my 12LRP in .260, added a 16x42 SWFA SS, and after a few person additions (thread w/ brake & new bolt handle) it's shooting really well.. doing as well in local competitions out to 1000yards with a setup which is equal cost to what a lot of guys just paid for their scope there.

I'm in the process of getting a Remington 700 police for right at $1000. It's a .308 police