• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me find an AR10 receiver set

-Time-

Mediocre Marksman
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
I’m slowly planning out my next AR10 build. It’ll be a 16” .308, fairly light weight, and a urx 3.1 to match my small frame SBR and SPR. The problem comes finding a receiver set.

I want something MK11/SR25 style. Slant cut in the rear, simple styling, but I also want the right side bolt release like the SLR rifleworks receiver set. Does such a set exist? If not is there someone that can machine and install a right side bolt release on the centurion arms mk11 receivers or similar? I unfortunately don’t have KAC money as that seems the easiest solution.

Give American Defense Manufacturing a call and see if they still sell their UIC-10 receiver sets. Totally ambi, super easy to use right hand bolt catch/release, slant cut.
I’ll give them a call tomorrow thanks!

Not having Kac money can easily turn into spending Kac money while pursuing a less easy solution.
That’s how things usually go for me LOL. If the ECC had the bolt release I’d think about it, but afaik its new to the ACC gen rifles, so I’d have to buy an ACC and then buy a urx 3.1 and have the hand guards swapped.

I bought a KAC PCC this summer and had a local gun shop order an LMT MARS-H lower directly from LMT.
It also fit my Mega Maten but was extremely tight at the rear take down pin.

Attachments

• 9F53DB32-8A1F-404B-9C80-F3A3DEEFB5CA.jpeg
    9F53DB32-8A1F-404B-9C80-F3A3DEEFB5CA.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 349
Reactions: fungui
I bought a KAC PCC this summer and had a local gun shop order an LMT MARS-H lower directly from LMT.
It also fit my Mega Maten but was extremely tight at the rear take down pin.
I like the lmt lower, but damn that upper hurts at $3500, and I can’t find ECC uppers anywhere.

I run the Stag 10, which is SR25 profile. Slant cut and DPMS High Profile upper same as the KAC. I picked up my receiver set for about $250 all in. I couldn't be happier with it. All the pins are threaded and it is also threaded for the screw to tighten fit between upper/lower.

Here's mine:
20191005_185256.jpg

20191005_185311.jpg

I know it's not high end, but it's a damn good set. I purchased another set to build a 16" carbine on. I have hunted with this rifle for 2 years, it's been flawless. Same goes for the CF Troy 15" rail. Awesome handguard imo.

Doesn't have the right side bolt release, but I'm pretty sure that it can be milled out to accept the PDQ ambi release. Minor milling out involved but it's doable.

Here's the PDQ ambi release for 308:

Last edited:
I am in the process of building a AR-10 and AR-15 also. As an Engineer I am a bit OCD with collecting data to make an informed decision so I collected a bunch of data for lowers and I will share them here. The data is for 80% lowers but it will at least give you sources to research for your needs.

I have a KAC SR-25 E2 PR so like you I wanted a slant rear which I believe is referred to as an Armalite "A" but don't quote me on that. As far as 80% lowers go, the JL Billet was the only one I saw with the right side bolt release, you will see the options in the data, but there may be other options if you are purchasing a complete lower.

I have Zipped the spreadsheet, because SH doesn't allow an Excel .xlsx upload, and attached it here along with a screenshot of some of the data to give you an idea of what is in the spreadsheet. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Lowers.zip
    9 MB · Views: 48
  • AR-10 Preview.jpg
    AR-10 Preview.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 131
I have 2 of the Tactical Machining 80% lowers pictured above. I haven't machined them yet but they seem to quality lowers. They fit my Stag uppers so they should be suitable for a slant cut SR25 upper and Armalite.

Not sure the difference between Zev and Mega. I know Zev bought them out. You can still find the Mega Arms MATEN received sets out there on all the typical sites like gunbroker and others. I built my AR10 last summer and was able to pick up the MATEN receiver set which came with upper, lower, and rail for about $700 so it was a pretty good deal.

curious where you found them for anything but $624
I buy from one of those club places and they are $486. Not sure if I want to advertise for them but they've been legit on 5 gun purchases so far. The way I find the lowest price is to find the upc code and put it in gun.deals.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/811745029276

I haven't heard positive reviews about the first one on that list.

Not sure the difference between Zev and Mega. I know Zev bought them out. You can still find the Mega Arms MATEN received sets out there on all the typical sites like gunbroker and others. I built my AR10 last summer and was able to pick up the MATEN receiver set which came with upper, lower, and rail for about $700 so it was a pretty good deal.
Most of the Mega closeout stuff ends up on JSE surplus.

Reactions: Stooxie
I buy from one of those club places and they are $486. Not sure if I want to advertise for them but they've been legit on 5 gun purchases so far. The way I find the lowest price is to find the upc code and put it in gun.deals.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/811745029276

I haven't heard positive reviews about the first one on that list.
Thanks for letting us know about this!
I really love all the features of the Zev, I’m just not huge on the aesthetics, but for sub $500 they might win out. I’d like to contact Zev to see if they’d run off a more plain receiver set with their features, or Todd at SLR to see if he’d be willing to run one off, or cut a different lower for his bolt release. However if neither of these pan out I’m gonna have to use Zev just for the ambi controls.

I run the Stag 10, which is SR25 profile. Slant cut and DPMS High Profile upper same as the KAC. I picked up my receiver set for about $250 all in. I couldn't be happier with it. All the pins are threaded and it is also threaded for the screw to tighten fit between upper/lower.

Here's mine:
View attachment 7178720
View attachment 7178721

I know it's not high end, but it's a damn good set. I purchased another set to build a 16" carbine on. I have hunted with this rifle for 2 years, it's been flawless. Same goes for the CF Troy 15" rail. Awesome handguard imo.

Doesn't have the right side bolt release, but I'm pretty sure that it can be milled out to accept the PDQ ambi release. Minor milling out involved but it's doable.

Here's the PDQ ambi release for 308:
Clean looking gun! I forgot about the pdq, I’ll keep them mind thanks!

Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
I am in the process of building a AR-10 and AR-15 also. As an Engineer I am a bit OCD with collecting data to make an informed decision so I collected a bunch of data for lowers and I will share them here. The data is for 80% lowers but it will at least give you sources to research for your needs.

I have a KAC SR-25 E2 PR so like you I wanted a slant rear which I believe is referred to as an Armalite "A" but don't quote me on that. As far as 80% lowers go, the JL Billet was the only one I saw with the right side bolt release, you will see the options in the data, but there may be other options if you are purchasing a complete lower.

I have Zipped the spreadsheet, because SH doesn't allow an Excel .xlsx upload, and attached it here along with a screenshot of some of the data to give you an idea of what is in the spreadsheet. I hope this helps.
I didn’t think about finishing an 80%! Thanks for the resources. I’m kinda OCD about weighing rifle parts, but I never thought to put them in a spreadsheet. Smart!

Reactions: DustBun
Thanks for letting us know about this!
I really love all the features of the Zev, I’m just not huge on the aesthetics, but for sub $500 they might win out. I’d like to contact Zev to see if they’d run off a more plain receiver set with their features, or Todd at SLR to see if he’d be willing to run one off, or cut a different lower for his bolt release. However if neither of these pan out I’m gonna have to use Zev just for the ambi controls.
No prob. Also, do that UPC trick for the zev wedgelock handguard as well. You can find them around $200.

Although I have two SR25s. I'm currently looking to build 2ea 6.5 creeds. So I've basically been on the same mission [Kac compatibility]. All Slant options!
1. Legion Firearms LF-10 lowers [gunbroker] i recently acquired 2 for $250 [total]. WIN!
2. LMT MARs ambi or non Ambi about $275 stripped. [NICEEEE]
3. Centurion Arms MK11
receiver set $510 [upper is close to kac, lower is legion firearms] Uppers alone $250. A++++
4. ZEV large frame set $500-600. [Its pretty cool. Looks like a kac on a diet.]
5. Noveske N6
receiver set $750 [Noveske is Noveske!]
6. Stag 10 uppers remind me of the Geissele Vsass! I digg it! Sets $250-$300
7. Genesis cnc 308 upper! Shop at your own risk. Wish he didnt have so many bad reviews cause his actual work is flawless!
8. ADM UIC 10 lower $450 [might have to call for a upper]
9. V SEVEN HARBINGER
receiver set $610
thebuffalo.us/shop/308-dpms-80-matched-upper-lower-set/ $4

11. Larue uu kit [waiting for mlok]

Although I have two SR25s. I'm currently looking to build 2ea 6.5 creeds. So I've basically been on the same mission [Kac compatibility]. All Slant options!
1. Legion Firearms LF-10 lowers [gunbroker] i recently acquired 2 for $250 [total]. WIN!
2. LMT MARs ambi or non Ambi about $275 stripped. [NICEEEE]
3. Centurion Arms MK11
receiver set $510 [upper is close to kac, lower is legion firearms] Uppers alone $250. A++++
4. ZEV large frame set $500-600. [Its pretty cool. Looks like a kac on a diet.]
5. Noveske N6
receiver set $750 [Noveske is Noveske!]
6. Stag 10 uppers remind me of the Geissele Vsass! I digg it! Sets $250-$300
7. Genesis cnc 308 upper! Shop at your own risk. Wish he didnt have so many bad reviews cause his actual work is flawless!
8. ADM UIC 10 lower $450 [might have to call for a upper]
9. V SEVEN HARBINGER
receiver set $610
thebuffalo.us/shop/308-dpms-80-matched-upper-lower-set/ $4

11. Larue uu kit [waiting for mlok]
Good options thanks! I hadn’t heard of legion before.

From some minor guesstimating (I don’t have my hands on one yet) I believe the centurion mk11 lower has enough meat to modify it for a right side bolt release, and left side mag release. I don’t know if I’ll be able to use someone’s premade mag release, but I should be able to modify a KAC release/actuator and POF plunger to work.

Gunsmidwest.com has the Zev receiver set for 465 right now. That and a Wedgelock rail will set you straight. JSE also still has a bunch of MEGA maten stuff, too.

-Stooxie

Mega maten is amazing if you can find a set. I’d buy another, even used (there were some in the for sale section here a while back). Personally I was really sad when Zev took over the designs, as I feel they regressed on the engineering by a decade and killed the innovation and builder options. The thing I liked about the Maten setup the most was the strength of the receiver to handguard interface.

For Mega also watch gunbroker, Zev has been auctioning off a bunch of old mega stuff lately. Mega's AR15 stuff was not nearly as stiff as the Maten unless you got their thick slab side upper. I have a AR15 Mega with the MML integrated handguard setup and with a 20" JP barrel in it, at the end of the handguard you can flex it 1/4".

If it were me today I'd probably get a Seekins builder set.

It's actually pretty sad these days, almost no one makes a thick, stiff large frame setup for precision, especially when it comes to handguards. They are all trying to get as light as possible for the spray and pray crowd.