• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

help me find my perfect rifle

mrwiggins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
Louisiana
hello everyone,
along with a few other projects, in the next year or two, i plan to build a left handed bolt action rifle, and buy or build an ar10 rifle. i'm tracking down the parts for my bolt gun, the hardest being a left handed stainless receiver in 300 win mag.

to the point of my post, here is what i'm looking for, i tried searching, but i didn't come up with anything.
I want an ar10 style rifle in 308, i'm not sure of the barrel length, but it's going to be a general purpose rifle, i'm thinking a 16 or 18 inch barrel free floated. i plan to add some flip up sights, decent glass, and a quad rail forend.

here's the kicker, i want it piston driven, to have ambi controls, left handed ejection port, and decent accuracy.

what do you guys think? am i asking for too much here? is this something i need to build, or would it be easier to buy what are yalls recommendations

Re: help me find my perfect rifle

To my knowledge, there are currently ZERO rifle options for all of the features you want included on your rifle...particularly the lefty features.

If you will forego the lefty eject...the POF P-308 has:

1) piston operated 308/7.62x51;
2) ambi-controls;
3) sub-MOA accuracy;
4) standard railed handguard thanks to the monolithic receiver rail/handguard; and
5) high quality Rock 5R barrel available in 16" and 20" lengths that is completely free-floated.

With the shell deflector, a buddy of mine shoots my POF P-308 left-handed without any difficulty.

i was looking hard at pof. i e-mailed them about a month ago, but i never heard from them on building a lefty ar10. i'm glad to hear another lefty uses one effectively, i got the red ass when some hot brass landed in my shirt, but i think i could make a right handed ar work, i just want to see when my options are, and who i should buy from... cost is no object, but the higher the cost the longer i'll have to wait to get it. i would rather save and buy good stuff once.

I agree with you there...Buy Once, Cry Once.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any development of the Left-Handed concept for the AR-10/LR-308 market yet. The closest thing to a Lefty 308 right now is Stag's offering of a Lefty 6.8 (which isn't in any way close to the 308). If they ever get into the 308 market, I am sure a left-handed version would be forthcoming.

Depending on when you plan to make a move, there are a couple companies working on piston conversions for the AR-10 and DPMS LR-308 rifles right now (Adam Arms for one). That would give you piston operation capability in the entire range of rifles (from custom GAP, APA rifles to stock production rifles from numerous manufacturers that you could "tweek" to your specs...all but the Left Hand stuff that is).

so the left handed ar is out, but i think i could live with a right handed ar with ambi controls. whats is the best barrel length for a general purpose rifle. 16, 18 or 20 inches? what other options do i have? i wish i knew what piston system the military was going to choose, i'd jump on that one.

For a GP that will sometime be used for 1000 yard shooting I would go with the 18" at the shortest. 20" if you can deal with the added weight/length.

If it's for a walking around CQB type rifle then 16" would be my choice.

Before you decide, as yourself how often you will really be shooting at long range. The 20" Precision AR10 is a heavy pig.

The only left-hand AR's that I know of are from STAG Arms, but I don't think they're into the .308's yet.

POF seems to be the fit with the most of what you want. I would agree with LoneWolf, 18"...

I am a lefty and own a stag in standard 223/5.56. I am sure they will have a 308 version in the making soon. You may have to wait this project out another year or so. Or pay up major bucks to have a pro do a custom job for you.

The barrels offered by POF in the P-308 are limited to 14" (with perm. attached brake/flash hider), 16" or 20". There is no doubt that the 20" rifle is a heavy sucker. Mine, equiped with a PRS, Atlas bipod, Larue Mount, Mk4 M1 6.5-20x50 scope and mag weighs in at around 14lbs.

just general, something i can pack but also reach out somewhat, what manufacture has the best warranty, i was concerned when i saw pof only offered a 3 year warranty.

so a 20 inch barreled rifle is really that much heavier? i was thinking 16 inch, but the 20 inch seems to be better all around.. again, my plans include, hunting, general shooting, maybe some competition in the future.

Depends on the profile.

My 21" AR10 weighs in at 14.2 lbs with a Falcon scope. I could have cut the weight a bit by going with a lighter stock and a different rail system. Neither the Badger or the Magpul PRS are lightweight pieces.

The 20" POF is 9.2lbs and the 16.5" is 8.75lbs so not much difference as the barrel is a smaller profile. I would go with the 20" for the better ballistics. I have a 20" POF on order now and can't wait to get it in.

i'm thinking one of these p308 with a 20 inch barrel would be perfect for all my applications, i wonder if you can get it with a fluted barrel or get an after market barrel to reduce more weight. this rifle, flip up iron sights, burris ar-pepr mount and a night force 2.5-10x32 npr2 and zero stop, with a little rugged mini reflex sight on top of the mount. i just wish they had a lifetime warranty. i still might hold out untill the military chooses a gas piston system.

They come standard with fluted barrels. That set up you are thinking about sounds pretty nice.

I wouldn't stress the warranty.

I bought mine online from a private seller that ordered three from POF (a 14", 16" and 20")!! He got a discount by buying three rifles and then helped to offset the cost of the 16" he kept by selling the others without the lengthy wait-time (back then, it was taking 8-12mo to get one from POF)!!

If you live anywhere near Gonzales you might check out Cabelas. They are a stocking dealer of POF rifles (when they can keep them in stock). Also, POF has a long list of dealers on their website by state...you may be able to find a local dealer as well.

If not any of those sources, the usual sources like GunBroker usually have quite a few available.

mrwiggins,
give me a shout or email([email protected])anytime. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Cabelas is definatley a good way to get one, the .308's are about a 20 week wait right now. We're selling the heck out of them. Even if you don't plan on buying one for six months, get a hold of a dealer near you, have them fax in a ffl and order one now. We won't charge anything until we actually ship the rifle.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else i can do, feel free to hit me up.
Scott

A POF upper will not drop on DPMS lower. I believe they can be made to fit with a pin kit though. Drop Scott and email and he will fill you in.