• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me get started reloading.

little_scrapper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 31, 2019
My situation: Never reloaded before but interested in learning. I have a basement shop with about 25 ft. of workbench along two walls (corner). For starters I would be reloading 223 (AR15) and 308 (AR10). Relatively low volume precision round development. Maybe later some pistol loads. I have access to LCAAP ammo for really cheap so I would mostly be using M193 NATO and AE223 brass and M118LR brass for 308.

The way I envision this is that I would de-cap without resizing. Wet tumbling, sizing/trimming.... etc. etc. You know the drill better than I.

I need help with equipment selection.
*** Single stage or progressive? Everyone says start with a single stage. However, I am a smart guy and a quick study. My gut tells me I can handle the complexities of a progressive and would end up buying one eventually anyways. *shrug* Is single stage better for precision?? Pros/Cons of either?

**HF dual drum tumbler ($50 on sale) with steel media. I need to know what pins to use. Best length and diameter pins. Is ther a better bang for my buck on a tumbler?

**RCBS Chargemaster lite ($240). However, I heard the Lymans has a nice small footprint and is able to come apart and be cleaned easily.

Ok maybe for brevity we start with that. If I can get a press, decapping, tumbled and resizing dies figured out; YouTube and books should get me going. I can drop $1K on equipment without even blinking. However, I do work for a living and am very much a best bang for your buck kind of guy.

Last edited:
Very recent discussion on press selection:

Search and you will find many more here and elsewhere. As stated in that thread, I’m in favor of starting with a Dillon 550, as it can be used in single and progressive mode depending on situation and experience.

I have a Thumbler’s Tumbler, along with the stainless pins that came with it. I also bought extras, but that was so long ago I can’t recall the details. Many different outlets for SS pins - I think most (all?) are a standard size? Best way to get the brass as clean as it can get.

I do decap prior to tumbling, as it gets the inside and primer pockets squeaky clean also.

You may also want a vibratory tumbler to use walnut or corn cob media for the sized or finished rounds... takes the lube off and polishes them up.

I actually have a vibratory tumbler I picked up at a garage sale. A Frankfort Arsenal was basically new in the box and was only $3. I couldn't not buy it. Then I learned about dust in the air and the superiority of steel media. Maybe it will still have a use as a de-greaser. This is the stuff I need help with. Its all the little nuanced aspects that are not always apparent.

No need to mess with stainless tumbling. Corn cob or walnut in a vibratory tumbler is perfectly fine. Add a laundry dryer sheet and it will collect the dust. I’ve used my frankford vibratory tumbler for over 12 years and it’s never let me down. Steel media will get your cases cleaner perhaps but there is such a thing as too clean. Especially the inside of the case necks

Reactions: ShtrRdy