• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help me ID this stock and bottom metal?

SkaerE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2001
The only blue part of VA :(
Stock looks like a McM HTG to me but has MITCHELL stamped into it. Def fiberglass as you can see the grain in the inletting and you can make out the crosshatch of the fiberglass cloth slightly through the coloring.

Bottom metal is steel and 2 piece.

Had this stock for a couple years, got it at a gunshow. been a great stock but was getting ready to sell it and don't want to advertise it as something its not

700bottommetal2.jpg

700bottommetal.jpg

700stock.jpg

forearm.jpg

bottommetal3.jpg

thanks!

Re: help me ID this stock and bottom metal?

Man, ya got me. I was thinking McMillan return stock or something. I've never seen two piece bottom metal like that either.

That defintely looks like a McMillan HTG M40A1 stock, and the bottom metal is Winchester, the same as shown in the M40A1 Thread here:

M40A1 Build Guide

It's a commercial M40A1 setup.

The USMC stocks did not have texture on the forend or grip. The metal pictured are modified Winchester M70 parts.

Value would be whatever used McMillan HTG/A1 stocks are going for. There really isn't anything special about it.

Yep, it's a HTG/T stock in Dark Camo. Looks like it's inletted for a short 700 and a varmint barrel contour. Floorplate is an M40A1 floorplate which is a steel Winchester floorplate cut down and modified to fit a short 700 action and relieved in the trigger slot for a 700 trigger. You also have to modify the 700 trigger a bit to work with this floorplate and trigger guard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why didn't they just use a remington short action bottom metal? </div></div>

Steel vs. aluminum. Believe it all started with the USMC and the M40A1(hence the reference). Our finest couldn't really on the cheezy chit Rem still uses today, well unless you by an ADL synthetic and get a plastic trigger guard. Winchester wasn't cheap and used steel on all but Featherweights then so creative gents revamped it to use on 700's.