• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me move

VandelayIndustries

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2022
Ask
Got a 1k acre farm in upstate Ny, not far from the Canadian boarder. Taxes are breaking my back here, and the gun laws are shitty, obviously. It’s getting insane. Looking to move, have 3 young kids, wife works remote. I’m looking for rural, good school system, lake and or Mountain View, good hunting, cheap taxes, red state, and at least 250 acres. Wife wants to be within 30 minutes of some grocery stores. Not sure what I’d do for work but I’ve done a little bit of everything so I’m sure I could find something.
Narrowed it down to southern Wyoming, Idaho or Missouri.

• Angry
Reactions: Bender
I’d say Texas is full too, but we need like-minded folks to counteract the invasion from the south, and all the asshats fleeing Commifornia trying to remake Austin in its image.

Come on down…
I ruled Texas out. It looks to be moving in the same direction NY is, obviously at a much slower rate. But Texas looks more purple now and those big cities are fucking you like they do us in NY.

We chose Texas for a couple reasons; primarily because of how well they take care of us .mil retirees; everything helps these days, and Texas is pretty damn good about tax breaks for the broken, as long as you got broken from a service-related injury.

Only Florida (my home state, btw) is as advantageous from a tax perspective, but I always liked the idea that Texas has the potential to become a self-supporting, fully industrialized country all on its own if things truly go sideways. I was prepared for the folks fleeing other states, and the resultant rise in population/prices; I wasn’t really counting on our own damn government opening the floodgates to turn us into North Mexico.

Reactions: 96coal449
I love Texas but would move to Idaho in a split second if my wife ever loses her senses and says yes, but she is from Missouri and dead set on moving there at some point. Born in Texas, fell in love with Georgia, and will be buried in fucking Missouri, life has a wicked sense of humor.

Table rock lake in Missouri is nice close to Springfield and Silver dollar city it's been built up a lot lately.

Lake of the Ozark is a lot more commercial and is party central for St. louis an Kansas city.

Idaho is nice and we need more good people.
I don’t think the public education system is very good, but not very sure since we don’t have our children in public schools.
You pay tax coming and going. But it isn’t that high.
Buying land within Indian reservations might not be a good long term plan, long story, so consider that.
Snow is probably not as bad as upstate ny.
But depends on where you are looking, from high desert to off grid mountain living.
Air quality usually goes to pot in August due to everything burning.

Reactions: AmmoFort
I don’t think the public education system is very good, but not very sure since we don’t have our children in public schools.
Buying land within Indian reservations might not be a good long term plan, long story, so consider that.
But depends on where you are looking, from high desert to off grid mountain living.
Definitely not looking for anything even near a Indian rez, I’m good with mountains but not desert. Cold doesn’t bother me, I work outside 365 days a year from -25 to 95. Open to PM’s if you have any good county suggestions. Wild fires a state wide normal occurrence?

Is there a part of Idaho that is dry and (somewhat) green?

Missouri is done for. Politics dominated by kcmo and st louis.

Beautiful state, but is going left for sure.

We get a few fires, but the majority of the smoke comes from the big annual fires in CA, OR and WA.
Yeah, Idaho is literally the home of the National Interagency Fire Center. Let’s not pretend Idaho doesn’t have their share of seasonal wildfire.

Reactions: Makinchips208
have you looked into the Juan Valdez moving service not only do they smuggle the worlds best coffee out of Columbia and bring it to the rest of the world . using vast teams of donkeys and old coca trails that span the world . they also spread joy where ever they go playing mariachi music at the same time . they offer a service that they can pick up your family and help smuggle them out of communist controlled states , or countries into free ones through a work service . It's hard to beat there prices are dirt cheap and the kids will pick up skills that will help them in the picking of fruit . while you and the wife sit back and have a relaxing trip to a new land to call home . I am sure they are looking forward to working with you in the near future .

Got a 1k acre farm in upstate Ny, not far from the Canadian boarder. Taxes are breaking my back here, and the gun laws are shitty, obviously. It’s getting insane. Looking to move, have 3 young kids, wife works remote. I’m looking for rural, good school system, lake and or Mountain View, good hunting, cheap taxes, red state, and at least 250 acres. Wife wants to be within 30 minutes of some grocery stores. Not sure what I’d do for work but I’ve done a little bit of everything so I’m sure I could find something.
Narrowed it down to southern Wyoming, Idaho or Missouri.
WYOMING DOES NOT EXIST!!!!

Arkansas, but you would have to divorce your wife and marry your sister. :LOL:
Stay the hell out of Arkansas unless you want to pay the 3rd highest sales tax in the country. The people here like to call themselves “conservative” but they vote in every new tax that comes up.

Reactions: Expert684
What about Alaska?

You could do SE Alaska and have 25 to 70 degree temps... if you're one of those that thinks Alaska is buried in Ice all year.

Hunting, buy the general hunting/fishing licenses for like $75 and you get moose, caribou, black bear, blacktail deer, on and on and on.
Brown bear is an additional $25, muskox is an additional fee, otherwise everything is yours to hunt.
Then I believe they do have a state duck stamp, but it's not much, and you can shoot several "normal" ducks, then go whack another several sea ducks, sandhill cranes are huntable.

You can hunt wolves, coyotes, and other furbearers.

Crab, prawn, rockfish, halibut, salmon, cod, they even have scallops, on and on and on

I'm at a point in my life where if I knew a good way to get there, have a small house, and be able to afford it on something like $50k a year, I'd be there.

Don't think you'll get much in the way of acreage, though I also don't know that it matters there.

Reactions: The D
Never really considered Alaska….
Good you can keep Florida I’ve got zero interest in being that far south.

Over 10% of our (Wyoming) whopping $10 billion annual state budget comes from coal. See any new coal plants going up? Any new coal deep water ports? Nope, not a one and shutting down what there are.

There's zero chance the no state income tax survives coal's inevitable near term demise. Insider tip, we're doing absolutely zero improvements to our rail coal routes and struggle to get money for general maintenance, because even the bean counters knows coal is dead and are making as few capital investments into them as possible.

Virtually all of Wyoming is high semi-arid desert, with multiple blizzards in the winter and baseball sized hail in the summer. The valley part that isn't (Jackson area), you had better be bringing mid-eight figures is you want 250 acres. The rest of the mountain areas that aren't high desert, are federal land or ranches that will never be sold, ever, because they make $15k/head from out of state hunters for access to their land.

If you're good with buying a cheap piece of acreage on the prairie, you'll pay $50-90k to put in your well if you're lucky (most are 350-600ft deep to hit water), and your power drop will be about $100/ft to get it to you, most are 1/2 mile with a lot more. Enjoy that math, and you still haven't even put a shovel in the ground to start the foundation or road. Some ranches piece up and sell 40-80 acre plots, but there's plenty of covenants to go with them where #1 is "no nuisance gunfire" and the Karen eight plots over has the board on speed dial.

There is no sarcasm in my post.

Definitely not looking for anything even near a Indian rez, I’m good with mountains but not desert. Cold doesn’t bother me, I work outside 365 days a year from -25 to 95. Open to PM’s if you have any good county suggestions. Wild fires a state wide normal occurrence?
It’s hit and miss on wild fire, either somewhere in the National forest or the wilderness is burning, or else it’s from Oregon or Washington, or all the above. This year has been lovely and clear in central Idaho.

NYers that move to Florida, and find it to hot, then move to Tennessee, are called half backs by Tennesseans. Half way back to NY.

Nobody is pretending, but we very rarely have huge fires that choke out the whole state.
Nope. They choke out Montana and other states downwind. As of this date last year, ID had more large fires burning than anywhere else in the country. Something like 350 over the season with nearly half a million acres burned. And that was considered to be a lighter than average fire year. I think Idaho averages around 600,000 acres a season. Oregon would finish the 2022 season with few thousand more acres burned but Washington didn‘t even break 200,000 acres. Fire is a thing in Idaho, no matter where the smoke ends up. And I spent more than a few years chasing it around In all three of those places.

Reactions: Makinchips208
I'm in upstate NY too. Geographically gorgeous. I had a chance to leave almost 10yrs ago. My pick was Kentucky, and if I get forced in another situation, I would pick KY again. Has mountains, lakes, and valleys like NY. Milder winters .....taxes .....

I too, am quite familiar of the winters of the NY deep north. I was born up there, and had family up there most of my life. If I did leave, I would miss NY. My home state where I grew up living conservatively, in rural lands. I'm currently to heavily invested to leave. The wife did not want to move away from her family, and so, here I am. I'm quite ok living behind enemy lines with like minded peeps.

Look at South Dakota. Winters are brutal, but taxes are cheap and the black hills have things besides Rushmore.

Or Eastern Montana. Land can be had on the cheap, but you're going to be 100+ miles from a Walmart. You'll have a local grocery store that would fit inside a Walmart deli for all your needs.
If you want to be close expect the land to increase in value 10x minimum. West side of the state will be 50x more.

Montana has no sales tax, but they make up for it in property tax, resort taxes, and up to a 10% income tax.

Eastern side of the state is a desert like Wyoming, western side is like Idaho but colder. So I live in the middle and visit them both. There's nothing like -10 to -50* for a few weeks to really get the winter vibes!

I wouldn't move 3 young kids to BFE. Too much risk of them despising you for the next 20 years for dragging them out to the middle of nowhere. Most of those areas have pretty bad school systems too.

Lies. Wyoming Temperature is 75f 365 days of the year. Top windspeed is 5 mph and always left to right.

0% Tax
Monthly stipend
Free hookers
You had me at free hookers, so long kali. @Bender going to bring me 12 pack as a welcome to the neighborhood with kali plates on my truck? Or would his pigeons get pissed?