• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me order up a Dillion 550B

fireguyty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2010
Las Vegas
Guys,
Recently my buddies and I have gotten into 3 gun. It has quickly become evident that we NEED to reload for 9mm and 223 to stay in business, and I have no desire to reload those with my single stage stuff.

I have decided on a 550B. I think that I need the press, caliber conversions for each, and Dillion dies for each. Is this right? What else?

Also, any cheap recipes for the above calibers that work well in a progressive would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ty

Re: Help me order up a Dillion 550B

Why are we not investing in a couple 1050s? Between 4 of us we could start our own ammo assembly line.

I'm not a Dillon guy, so forgive me if this question is lame. The 650 isn't much more money, offers auto indexing and the ability to add the case and bullet feeder, everything else like changeover costs the same. Why not the 650? And what I do know, is order from a Dillon dealer or Dillon directly (you guys could just drive to Snottsdale and pick it up) and he'll hook you up on everything you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyanMcIntyre</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a Dillon guy, so forgive me if this question is lame. The 650 isn't much more money, offers auto indexing and the ability to add the case and bullet feeder, everything else like changeover costs the same. Why not the 650? And what I do know, is order from a Dillon dealer or Dillon directly (you guys could just drive to Snottsdale and pick it up) and he'll hook you up on everything you need. </div></div>

The time to switch calibers is one of the main reasons people go with the 550B over the 650. Never having used a Progressive I am thinking about using a buddies to get used to it and then getting the 650. I will mainly load 223 on mine.

Once you are used to caliber changeover it is not hard at all. The biggest pain is the primer carrier change over from large to small primers or vice versa. I can change a caliber, primer station, and case feed plate in about 15 minutes if I am slow and deliberate. Get the 650 if you think you will want to crank out a lot of ammo in a fairly short time. Get quick changeover kits as well and the time for changing calibers gets much quicker because all your dies and powder measure are pre-set.

In answer to the orginally question:

Get the strong mount. I have mine bolted to an old 1950's steel desk and the mount brings it up to the proper height for me for a relaxed standing position as I load.

I also have the bullet holder, which you need the strong mount in order to use.

Later on, if you find that you load a lot more than what you thought, you can add the case feeder. I don't have that on mine.

I think that when you order your first one it will come with a caliber convertion kit of your choice, so you will only have to order 1 more.

For me, the 550B was the better choice since I really didn't need to load 1000 rds per hour, and I had/have 15 different calibers I load for. Back when I bought mine there was about a $70 differnce between the two (550-650) when switching over.

Go to Brian Enos.com and check into his store. Brian has been very helpful in guiding me through the Dillon products along with hosting a very good forum that has a vast collective knowledge of the Dillon products.

Saying that, I wish that I had gotten a 650 in place of one of my 550's. just a matter of increased production from the case feeder and the additional slot in the tool head for a powder check. I do use the 550s a lot, over 10k/year of various calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Modoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to Brian Enos.com and check into his store. Brian has been very helpful in guiding... </div></div>

Exactly right. He'll verify your order and ensure that you're not buying anything duplicate or that you won't need as well as make sure that you've ordered everything you will need.

Brian Enos for sure, IMHO if you only wanted to load 223 the 550 is fine, but I have a therory, I have seen more than one pistol blow up, and have heard of many more that have blown up, common to all is the 550, the lack of auto indexing, get out of sequence and double charge a pistol case, BOOM, luckily the two I saw neither shooter was hurt, but a nice high dollar 1911 and a Glock 19 are nothing but paper weights now, get a 650, cal changes may take longer but the auto indexing is well worth it.

I have both the 550 and the 650, I use the 650 to crank out pistol because it auto indexes and has an extra station for me to be able to mod a bullet feeder on it. The 550 is mainly used for rifle like 308 and others but I still load 223 on the 650. Definately get the strong mount if you don't have a sturdy table. I would favor the 650 over the 550 personally especially if you already have a single stage press. Here is a older pic of the set up, i'll have to see if I have any new pics.

DSC01273.JPG

Just call Dillon and they will set you up. I'm to lazy to change primer feed so i have 4- 550s. So much fun to load ammo with them. Got my first one in 1982 and NO problems.

Guys,
I have been reading your posts all day, and doing nothing but research. I bought a XL650, extra caliber conversion, quick change kit, and the roller handle. I didn't buy the strong mount because I am going to set it up by bolting it to the bench. Then when I get the thing figured out, I'm going to weld up a custom portable stand for it.

I really appreciate all the input!

If anyone has recipes for 124 grain 9mm and 55 grain 223 that are progressive friendly I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Ty

I've been using the 550B for 223 & 308. Brian Enos is a great place to start they will help guide you through what you need to get. I also recommend the AT500 Powder funnel so you can pour powder into the case after dispensing from a Chargemaster for instance.

You need to think about the overall process and die setup. With 4 stations on the 550 you may need extra tool heads if you plan on decapping, FL sizing and neck sizing separately. My process is to FL size with a Redding Small Base die, Neck size/bump shoulder then trim.

I love the Dillon 550B its fast enough and easy to fix any mistakes along the way, especially if you're a beginner.

Titegroup for pistol, and H335 for 223.

They meter SWEET.

ETA: Good call on the 650. I originally bought a 550 because of Brian Enos's "selection guide" which said to get a 550 unless you absolutely positively know you need a 650. A couple years later I found a local good deal on a 650. I didn't set it up for a couple months, because I was "used to" my 550 and didn't have the motivation to deal with the new machine.

Once I set up my 650, I've NEVER used the 550 again. The 650 is a far better machine. As I like to say:

Having a progressive press that doesn't auto-index is like getting to have sex with a supermodel, but not being able to get off.

4.0 of Titegroup or 4.3 of Solo 1000 push a 124 at 1080 out of my KKM Glock 35 40-9 barrel, 3.0 of Titegroup and 147s go 880, talk about soft.

I only load the heavies in 223 and use RL15 can't help there.

If you're going all in anyway, (and good choice on the 650), call Dan at Hi-Tech and get a full box of WC844, and drop 25.3 grains under any old junk 55 ever made and you'll run fine.

I've worked up to 27.3 so far, but that's fairly well into the 5.56 pressure territory.

I have both the 550 and the 650 also, and Brian got me into the 650 for the simple fact of being able to run a powder check on it.

I've dedicated my 650 to 40, but doing a change to any small primer pistol caliber wouldn't scare me at all.

Fifty bucks says you guys will have a 1050 for 223 within a year........

sean

As far as loads go for the 223:

Look at using CFE. It really does reduce the copper fouling.

I shoot a 60gr Nosler BT with 26.5gr CFE out of a RRA coyote 1:9 twist 20" barrel @ ave. 2975 fps. ~ 3/4 MOA.

My predator I have set up with 26.5Gr H335 with a 50gr Nosler BT. 1:8 twist 20" barrel @ ave 3150 fps. Will probably be switching over to CFE with the 50gr as well later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4.0 of Titegroup or 4.3 of Solo 1000 push a 124 at 1080 out of my KKM Glock 35 40-9 barrel, <span style="font-weight: bold">3.0 of Titegroup and 147s go 880, talk about soft</span>.

I only load the heavies in 223 and use RL15 can't help there. </div></div>
Are you running this load suppressed?

Get the casefeeder. I waited a year or so to get mine and every time I use is I kick myself in the ass for not getting it sooner. Also, the auto trimmer is worth it. I have separate toolheads for every caliber that I reload and one that I leave setup with the trimmer.

Both of those are expensive but awesome additions. I didn't start reloading 223 till I got one of the auto trimmers but I can say that it would speed up processing brass a ton. I can size/trim brass as fast as I can pull the handle. Pretty awesome IMO.

As others have said, get the case feeder! ' and if you're going to spend the money you might as well buy the 650.

Having an auto-index progressive press without a casefeeder is like having sex with a supermodel, being allowed to get off, but having to finish <span style="font-style: italic">yourself</span> off.