• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me out with something!!

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I picked up a Marlin 25M .22 WMR pretty damn cheap from one of my relatives. It only has 7 rounds down the barrel. Its pretty old too. the serial number is 1467XXXX.

The only thing is it has MINOR surface rust on the outside and a little on the inside of the barrel. I was wondering how i could remove this rust myself or should i just have it done right somewhere?

Do they make aftermarket barrels for these?

There is no holes for a scope mount. Is it possible to mount a scope on these?

I googled this and I seen alot this rifle is cheap but accurate.

I would like to try some of the Hornady 30gr. V-MAX's and see how they shoot.

What yardage should I sight it in for? 50yrds?

This will be for target plinking and varmint shooting only.

Re: Help me out with something!!

I have one of those.
The trigger pull is terrible, but the damn thing shoots pretty good.

try soaking the rust spots with penetrating oil.
Use some 0000 steel wool on the exterior.

Soak the bore the bore also, try scrubbing with a .22 cal bore brush.

Any .22 rimfire scope mounts will work as long as they are high enough for the scope.

I am soaking the inside and outside of the barrel with some CLP and going to let it soak over night. Going to clean in the morning with a .22 cal bore brush. I completly dissasembled the rifle to clean it very well.

I would like to buff the bolt so I could cycle it with just my finger instead of having to come off the scope to rack it. Can I smooth this trigger up at all with an easy fix?

I took some 0000 steel wool to the barrel and it cleaned of the minor rust really well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">What would be a good Rimfire optic for this? Burris? Leupold? I dont want to spend more than $200 on an optic.</span>

Should I zero it at 25yrds or 50yrds?

I would think 50 yard zero.

Scope choice is budget dependent.
It is a 200 dollar rifle, I wouldn't put a 2500 dollar scope on it, but that is me.

something like a 3-12 or 4-16.
Take a look at the redfield scopes.

I would say 50 yards too. I would look for a used vortex but I like nice scopes on cheap guns as well.