• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help me out!

Slowstang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
Sacramento, CA
So my dad is trying to stay under the 1k price tag for a rifle scope. We are looking for something with FFP, in the 5-25 power range with matching reticle/adjustments.

The two scopes we are looking at is the Bushnell 6-24 FFP Mil/Mil and Falcon Menace 5-25 FFP Mil/Mil. I dont really want to hear about the Vortex Viper PST since we had two pre-ordered and well, they didnt show up.

Another consideration is my dad already has a 20moa seekins base and 30mm low rings.

So lets hear it gents.

Re: Help me out!

Slow and Steady: the 4200 line has good glass and very decent mechanicals. The warranty is good for the first buyer but not transferable. The Falcon Menace has many instances of failure, both for the glass and the mechanicals, does not have as good glass as the 4200, and does not have as good mechanicals either...

Between most any two choices I can typically find a good reason to go for either one if I look hard enough, but in this case I really can't see any reason why anyone would choose the Falcon over the Bushnell.

Good luck to you and your Dad. Hope you enjoy your FFP scope!

Thanks westofpecos. He wool probably go for the bushnell. My only concern is it's lack of elevation adjustment. I have heard people have a hard time getting a 100 yard zero with a 20moa base. It also needs to be able to dial elevation to a 1000 yards. Is it doable with this scope?

Slow and Steady: my bad. The 4200 6x24 only has 48 moa, and, you are right, it is possible that it will not work with your dad's mount. In fact, it has happened to some. I would not be too comfortable buying it if it was going on a 20 moa base:( I guess this is one reason you would go to the Falcon. But I have a bad feeling that you might be disappointed with the Falcon in the long run.

Here are some non FFP choices:
- Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50, 30mm tube, goes for btw $280 and $450 depending upon the model, and 68 moa.
- Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24x42, 1" tube, about $650, 60moa
- Sightron SII Big Sky, 6.5-20x50, 1" tube, about $650, 60 moa
- Sightron SIII 6-24x50, 30mm, about $800, 100 moa

All of them have at least as good glass than the 4200 (typically better glass), as good or better mechanicals, and a better warranty (transferable lifetime).

If you need FFP, here are some choices, but they don't quite match as well:
- SWFA SuperSniper 3-9x42, 30mm, $600 ($540 with the coupon, 90 moa, excellent glass and mechanicals.
- Bushnell 4200 3-12x44, 30mm,$850, 80 moa.

If this is a largely dedicated 1000 yard rig, while I think that both the x9 and the x12 will work, I would still go for the Bushnell 6-24, and use a 15 moa base which will certainly work with the scope. I know it means more cost:( Your dad might be able to find someone who will grind the 20 moa base down a bit, or shim it in the front. A good gunsmith can do it. Do remember, however, that the Bushnell is not as usable over 14x.

As for 30mm vs 1" - if you had to switch ring sizes it would not cost that much more.